Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds,com Update
Red.com says baseball will be delayed at least 8 weeks. Spring Training is cancelled.

Going on this, it could start up before Memorial Day Weekend, since baseball was to start last week of March. So maybe end of May or start of June. Ohio has moved Voting Day from March 17 to June 2nd. Many are putting their eggs into this June 2nd basket.

Players better be keeping in shape and ready to go, there will be no Spring Training weeks to warm up. I might suggest teams have expanded rosters at first as starting pitchers need to work back up to regular pitch count. Adjust, Adapt. Simply start with at least 30 man rosters of 2 starting pitchers per game until the real starters get their pitch count up. No reason to blow out the arm of every starting pitcher in baseball.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, my sports withdrawal is getting better. Looking forward to the Reds taking the field eventually. This crisis is one for the books. We will overcome and get back to sports as usual.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Silver lining to all this, the injured guys get more time to rehab and recover.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/david-bell-discusses-reds-injuries-rehab-progress
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 02:53 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Silver lining to all this, the injured guys get more time to rehab and recover.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/david-bell-discusses-reds-injuries-rehab-progress

Good point, the Reds have 3 starters that should really benefit from this extra time. I was figuring that by the beginning of May or the beginning of June that things will get back to normal.
Reply/Quote
I have a lot of doubts we'll have a baseball season at all this year. Although I really like the game of baseball at this point it's very low on my list of priorities compared with other activities. I really don't recall any period of time when everything took a back seat to the game to this level and I kind of doubt we ever will again. I'm beginning to doubt we'll see much of a football season as well. In the grand scheme of things we do have more important things to worry about than whether there is a game played or not. As much as I enjoy baseball and football just making it through the next year seems far more important than whether we get to scream and shout about who is or isn't the best players..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As much as I hate to say it, sports are not essential in the scheme of things. I really want baseball back soon and hope the football season is played. I heard on the news things may be looking up.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 12:23 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: As much as I hate to say it, sports are not essential in the scheme of things. I really want baseball back soon and hope the football season is played. I heard on the news things may be looking up.

I disagree.  Maybe not as essential as air to breath or food to eat, but very necessary for the soul.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I’m hoping to see baseball by Memorial Day. Granted, things will need to stabilize a good bit but they will probably play awhile without crowds.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 02:10 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m hoping to see baseball by Memorial Day. Granted, things will need to stabilize a good bit but they will probably play awhile without crowds.

Have you seen what they're proposing now?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2020, 12:49 PM)McC Wrote: I disagree.  Maybe not as essential as air to breath or food to eat, but very necessary for the soul.

Maybe you feel this way, but it is not on the list of survival needs. I like sports and enjoy them very much. I still don't think we should be paying millions to someone playing a game. I think people can become addicted to sports which may be what you are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 07:20 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Maybe you feel this way, but it is not on the list of survival needs. I like sports and enjoy them very much. I still don't think we should be paying millions to someone playing a game. I think people can become addicted to sports which may be what you are talking about.

Who are among the highest paid people in the world?  Professional entertainers---movie makers, music makers, professional athletes.  Is that a coincidence? 

People need diversion.  It's in our DNA.  And when do they need it most?  When reality sucks the most. 

It's not rocket science.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 02:17 PM)McC Wrote: Have you seen what they're proposing now?

I haven’t but now I’m gonna have to search for the latest proposals.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 07:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I haven’t but now I’m gonna have to search for the latest proposals.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2020/4/7/21211895/milwaukee-brewers-reported-proposal-could-bring-mlb-baseball-back-as-soon-as-may

Granted, it's just an idea and it will probably be altered along the way. But it is a start to the conversation.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 07:56 PM)McC Wrote: Who are among the highest paid people in the world?  Professional entertainers---movie makers, music makers, professional athletes.  Is that a coincidence? 

People need diversion.  It's in our DNA.  And when do they need it most?  When reality sucks the most. 

It's not rocket science.

I don’t think that sports are essential to survive but they really can be good on people’s mental state which in turn can help your physical health. They are an escape from reality that are ingrained into our lives and can effect our well being.. but only because we’ve made it so. Baseball, fishing, playing cards... The relaxation keeps us from going insane. If you don’t have sports anymore to do that then you need to replace it with something that helps you keep your mental health.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2020, 07:58 PM)McC Wrote: https://www.brewcrewball.com/2020/4/7/21211895/milwaukee-brewers-reported-proposal-could-bring-mlb-baseball-back-as-soon-as-may

Granted, it's just an idea and it will probably be altered along the way. But it is a start to the conversation.

Thanks for posting. The mlb update at the bottom was telling. The thing is that eventually something will have to happen. If they cancel the whole season and this virus is going to stick around or slow and then flame up every year... then what? Cancel sports forever? If it’s that bad then we will all eventually get it from the grocery, gas station, mailbox, family or something.
Reply/Quote
Playing all games in Arizona with no fans would be a first. I believe we may not get cleared of this virus until a vaccine is developed in about a year. I'm interested in the motive to play in May. Is it for the players/owners to get paid or to appease the fans? Maybe both.
Reply/Quote
Latest news is no crowds for quite some time. I'm beginning to think there will be no baseball or football this year. That is terrible.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:22 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Latest news is no crowds for quite some time. I'm beginning to think there will be no baseball or football this year. That is terrible.

I fear this is where we're at as well....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote