Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds get #2 overall pick in 2017 draft
I'm surprised the top 3 picks were all high school players.

That seems like an indictment of the college crop this year haha. High school prospects are such an insanely high risk in the top of the draft.
Reply/Quote
You just never know..Hunter Green may just become the Bonus Baby who actually pans out.  I have my doubts he'll spend much time at the rookie level of the minor leagues and I'd be highly disappointed if he never gets beyond the Billings Mustangs.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What about Fairchild and Downs?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 08:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm surprised the top 3 picks were all high school players.

That seems like an indictment of the college crop this year haha. High school prospects are such an insanely high risk in the top of the draft.

Isn't Fairchild 21 and playing for Vanderbilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:52 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Isn't Fairchild 21 and playing for Vanderbilt?

Top 3 picks of the entire draft.

First time it has happened since 1990 that the top 3 overall picks were all high schoolers.
Reply/Quote
I see, I thought you meant the reds top 3 picks. Sorry

Reply/Quote
I liked Gore and think that he was the best well-rounded pitcher in the draft. Hunter Greene has all the buzz and maybe a generational type of player. Reds fans know that fast Falls in triple digits doesn't mean a thing in Major League Baseball. Chapman used to be hit for homeruns.

I think if he can work on his changeup and slider and have legitimate above average curve ball for pitchers that his fast ball could be devastating. Chapman basically had only two pitches.

Greene was the player they wanted and he has a very positive attitude for a 17 year old kid very mature he is tall and has a lot of room for development. So he'll probably start in the Arizona League and the Reds won't see him for a few years down the road.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 02:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I liked Gore and think that he was the best well-rounded pitcher in the draft.  Hunter Greene has all the buzz and maybe a generational type of player.  Reds fans know that fast Falls in triple digits doesn't mean a thing in Major League Baseball.  Chapman used to be hit for homeruns.  

I think if he can work on his changeup and slider and have legitimate above average curve ball for pitchers that his fast ball could be devastating.  Chapman basically had only two pitches.

Greene was the player they wanted and he has a very positive attitude for a 17 year old kid very mature he is tall and has a lot of room for development.  So he'll probably start in the Arizona League and the Reds won't see him for a few years down the road.

Yea, Chapman didn't become an elite player until he developed that sweeping slider better. 

It bothers me that there are conflicting reports about Greene's Curveball. Some say it is a plus pitch, others say it needs to be scrapped entirely. I'm not sure how they come to those decisios, but it's definitely frustrating.

I mean, look at Stephenson. That guy had a 70 rated fastball too.

Fat lot of good that's done him. He still gets smacked around like few pitchers around haha. 

In order to be a successful starting pitcher in the major leagues, you need a minimum of 2 plus pitches and a third average pitch.  Right now, based on some reports, Greene has one plus pitch and two below average pitches.

Developing pitching is seemingly so random, it can be frustrating to see a player like McKay or Wright not get taken when they've already developed their secondary and tertiary pitches to the point that projection is much more possible (and reasonable).

I saw a tweet that said, in terms of potential and risk factor, Nick Senzel is a 60/Medium and Greene is a 70/Extreme.

Basically, Senzel has the potential to be an all star player with a medium amount of risk.
Greene has the potential to be a perennial all star player with an extreme amount of risk.

I tend to prefer the Senzel level prospects. Hopefully, Greene reaches his potential and we're seeing him at the top of our rotation for the next 10 to 15 years (once he makes it to the majors).

Or, you know, until we trade him off like we did with Cueto...
Reply/Quote
I'm glad it was 17 year old Greene and not 21 year old McKay....because let's say both spend 3 years in the minors each.....McKay will come up around 24 or 25 and McKay around 20 or 21......WHEN IN DOUBT, GO WITH YOUTH. .....Both are good pitchers and good hitters, Greene as a shortstop, McKay as a first baseman. Both will probably be pitchers that can swing a bat pretty good.

I WAS HOPING REDS WOULD GET 17 YEAR OLD PITCHER WHO THROWS IN UPPER 90 MPH and has hit 102 MPH, Chapman fastball. ....SO GLAD REDS DID GET HIM. ......Plus they got a Shortstop at end of round 1 and an outfielder in the top of round 2 which is almost like 3 first round picks.

Greene has been compared to Dwight Gooden in that he is very poised on the mound for such a young age. Not just a thrower but already becoming a smart pitcher at a very early age.

I WANT TO GO ON RECORD AS SAYING GREENE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A CLOSER....EVERY TIME REDS GET A GOOD PITCHER LATELY, THEY THINK CLOSER...MEANWHILE OUR STARTERS STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN.....THERE WOULD BE NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS KID BECOMING AN ACE STARTER and WINNING 300 GAMES and 3,000 STRIKE OUTS.......Of course I liked Chapman as a Starter and Iglesias as Starters. Reds and Fans are just hell bent to put every good pitcher in the bullpen. I myself think Arroyo washed up and the starters for the most part are just awful.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, Greene got signed. Seven million bonus.
Reply/Quote
First top 2 pick ever signed above slot.

So, essentially, the highest paid draft pick ever.
Reply/Quote