Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds in trade talks for Bieber/Glasnow
(12-16-2023, 12:26 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Glasnow to the Dodgers. Might as well say they are the new champs.
Just because they "won" the off-season? Watch these moves blow up in their face. Ohtani can't pitch for at least a year, who knows what could happen, healthwise. Guy might blow his shoulder out swinging a bat. Glasnow has NEVER gone more than 120 IP, the guy is made of glass. Between he and Kershaw, they MIGHT get a full season out of both COMBINED. They have multiple spots in their rotation and bullpen filled by guys coming off surgeries. Sure, they have money to burn, but that doesn't always translate to WS rings.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 12:26 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Glasnow to the Dodgers. Might as well say they are the new champs.

You gotta play the games. People were crowning the Mets the world series winners last off season. WE all saw how that turned out. For all we know, Glasnow only plays 10 games for the Dodgers (as he has historically). This is a high risk, high reward move by the Dodgers, in which they traded away their best pitching prospect who was already showing great promise in his early career in the major leagues (2.76 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 78.1 IP, 80 K, 32 BB, 5-1 record in 17 GP, 10 GS). They didn't really improve all that much with this trade, if I'm honest. They just converted a rookie/young player with great promise and an excellent limited start to his career with a guy who has shown he can consistently achieve that level of success....when and if he's healthy.
Reply/Quote
Dec. 19: OF TJ Hopkins traded to Giants
The Reds will receive a player to be named later or cash for Hopkins, who hit .171 without a home run in 25 games as a rookie in 2023. He was designated for assignment by Cincinnati on Dec. 14.

Knowing Castalini, it will be cash.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2023, 10:47 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Just because they "won" the off-season? Watch these moves blow up in their face. Ohtani can't pitch for at least a year, who knows what could happen, healthwise.  Guy might blow his shoulder out swinging a bat. Glasnow has NEVER gone more than 120 IP, the guy is made of glass. Between he and Kershaw, they MIGHT get a full season out of both COMBINED. They have multiple spots in their rotation and bullpen filled by guys coming off surgeries. Sure, they have money to burn, but that doesn't always translate to WS rings.
Personally I'd love to see the Dodgers be forced into a fire sale for a decade to pay Ohtani's salary..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 04:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: Personally I'd love to see the Dodgers be forced into a fire sale for a decade to pay Ohtani's salary..lol
Haha, yeah me too but it seems their ownership has an endless supply of money. The one thing I do find funny in all of this is that they signed Ohtani and Yamamoto, spending like a billion dollars on two guys who will be playing a lot of games at 10pm EST. I bet that will be good for viewership!
Reply/Quote
I'm souring on the idea of giving up what these teams are asking for good starters. Cease is the only one I really like and he's going to demand a Castillo type haul anyway.

No Reds fan wants to hear it, but maybe they wait and see what the in-house young guys can do. Rather than trading away guys like Phillips, Lowder, or Petty, perhaps just continue to cultivate and wait for a MLB glut of quality starters to arrive, maybe as soon as 2025. They already have a lot of young arms. Possible a glut if there's some miracle and the guys get to camp in good health. They have Greene, Abbott, Ashcraft, Lodolo, possibly Martinez, Williamson, and maybe even Phillips up for 5 rotation spots. Those are all potentially quality guys. What they lack is the frontline starter. Does the cost of that kind of player become justified? Does it win the Reds a division? A NL title? A WS? If yes then absolutely make the move. I have doubts.

I think you stick with the process and cultivate. There's no more powerful asset in MLB than young, controlled pitching that's been developed in-house. I'd keep as much of it if I can, then trade pieces away if needed.

The Reds still have a pretty paltry payroll. They could still make a couple of shrewd signings to build around the young core. I'd still love to see a good LH reliever and a RH outfielder (platoon bat) brought in. Do those things, maybe get an inning eating SP for the middle rotation, then see where it goes.

If you still think a TOR starter moves the needle and the team is rolling at the break, then you re-visit making a deal for one.

The prospect capital is obviously coveted and legit. Maybe take heed from that fact and hold onto assets before plugging into another 2 year window followed buy a sell-off then re-tool in the minors. Sustain. Don't blink. If the kids are all as good as people think, this team could become really good for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 12:25 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm souring on the idea of giving up what these teams are asking for good starters. Cease is the only one I really like and he's going to demand a Castillo type haul anyway.

No Reds fan wants to hear it, but maybe they wait and see what the in-house young guys can do. Rather than trading away guys like Phillips, Lowder, or Petty, perhaps just continue to cultivate and wait for a MLB glut of quality starters to arrive, maybe as soon as 2025. They already have a lot of young arms. Possible a glut if there's some miracle and the guys get to camp in good health. They have Greene, Abbott, Ashcraft, Lodolo, possibly Martinez, Williamson, and maybe even Phillips up for 5 rotation spots. Those are all potentially quality guys. What they lack is the frontline starter. Does the cost of that kind of player become justified? Does it win the Reds a division? A NL title? A WS? If yes then absolutely make the move. I have doubts.

I think you stick with the process and cultivate. There's no more powerful asset in MLB than young, controlled pitching that's been developed in-house. I'd keep as much of it if I can, then trade pieces away if needed.

The Reds still have a pretty paltry payroll. They could still make a couple of shrewd signings to build around the young core. I'd still love to see a good LH reliever and a RH outfielder (platoon bat) brought in. Do those things, maybe get an inning eating SP for the middle rotation, then see where it goes.

If you still think a TOR starter moves the needle and the team is rolling at the break, then you re-visit making a deal for one.

The prospect capital is obviously coveted and legit. Maybe take heed from that fact and hold onto assets before plugging into another 2 year window followed buy a sell-off then re-tool in the minors. Sustain. Don't blink. If the kids are all as good as people think, this team could become really good for a long time.
I'm not giving up what the Sox want for Cease. Nope. No way. Is the guy really an "Ace" or is he a #2-3? I lean more towards 2-3 (which is still a damn fine addition, just not for the cost).

I would, however, trade a likewise package for the Astros' Valdez. That's been floated around in various forums and click bait pieces. The Astros may need to move him w decisions to be made on Altuve and Bregman in the super-near future. Both play positions we have an abundance of and we could sweeten the pot w say a Lodolo or Arroyo. Valdez is a legit TOR arm and his GB rate would play well in GABP. I watched some of him in this most recent playoffs and the guy was impressive.
Reply/Quote