Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of June game thread
BELL OVER MANAGED

Disco was pitching better than I've ever seen him pitch. 6 innings of shutout ball against Cubs, great fastball, only 70 some pitches. Reds with 4-0 lead.

Then came Bell in an over managing gaff. He pinch hit Winker to try to get add on runs. Winker made inning ending out. Lorenzen came in and game became 4-3 in a few seconds. Garrett came in and held it to 4-3 in that 7th inning.

I hope Reds win, but Bell made a mistake many managers make on many jobs. As everything was going great and no changes at the time needed, changes were made and it blew up in his face, which is classic over managing.

I've watched baseball 53 years now. So many times I've seen a starting pitcher having a career day. The hitters having no chance, even sometimes 70's Big Red Machine hitters. Big name pitcher, no name pitcher not important as on these days the pitchers were in complete control. Then comes the manager to over manage and go to his bullpen. Suddenly with the pitcher having a career day out of the game, the bats wake up on the pitchers now in the game, no matter their names. I've just seen it a lot over the years, and Bell was guilty of the classic baseball blunder today.

One great memory was Reds had just traded for Mets star Tom Seaver. In one of his first starts for Reds he was in complete control of the game. Then came Captain Hook Sparky out of the dugout. Tom Seaver let Sparky have it before Sparky got to the white line, and Seaver sent Sparky back to the dugout quick and fast letting Sparky know he was not one of the slugs Sparky was use to taking out. Today Disco didn't have Tom Seaver career to shoot down Bell move.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds get add on run in 8th

Puig steals second and Ervin gets a 2 out RBI. 5-3 and not 4-3

Reds needed it because Cubs still have their top hitters coming up in 9th.

Reds need this win, and Disco deserves the win. Hopefully game ends with both.

Farmer gets 2 out RBI as Ervin scores and now 6-3. Giving Iglesias more cushion who pitched in 8th and probably will in 9th with Lorenzen and Garrett used.

Senzel gets 2 out RBI's and now 7-3....Iglesias the reliever gets a rare at bat.

So Puig got it going and 3 Reds batters had 2 out RBI at bats, and THAT is some good clutch hitting.

Reds needed the add on's as Heyward with 2 outs gets a 3 run homer.

Iglesias still gets save.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Much needed 4 runs in the 8th making it 8-3 Reds going to the 9th.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Good thing for the 4 runs cause Heyward just hit a 3 run homer making it 8-6 and thankfully that's how it ends.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Well it wasn't pretty but the Reds won, and they basically had to, they scratched it out. Lorenzen came in and got clobbered for 3 runs ! Then R. Iglesias walks a guy on 5 pitches I believe up 8-3, throw strikes.......damn ! Ends up giving up a 3 run dinger !

Starting pitching only gave up like 3 runs in this series, bull pen gave up like 12
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2019, 12:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you think?

March, April, June....... .171 avg, 6 HR

May........................... .340 avg, 12 HR

Dietrich is 30 this year.  He had almost 2000 major league at bats over 6 seasons before joining the Reds.  He never hit more than 16 HR in a season and averaged one every 31 at bats compared to one every ten with the Reds this year.

I give Derek a ton of credit for filling in while Scooter was out, but we better hope Gennett comes back 100% real quick.

Flash in the pan
Reply/Quote
Iggy has lost it.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I agree with those saying that Disco shouldn’t have been pulled there. He was looking great and only had 73 pitches. He wasn’t struggling and his last pitch was 97mph. Managers complain about relievers needing a break. If you don’t do it in this situation, then when? This game should have ended up 4-1 or so. This was still a great win but that closer role sure is looking shaky!
Reply/Quote
So happy Disco still gets the Win, because it was 4-0 Reds lead when Bell over managed with pinch hitter in 6th. Disco pitched one of his best games ever. Ex Pitcher announcer mentioned Disco was on other side of pitching rubber from 1st to 3rd. Hey, it worked, keep doing it.

So June ends with Reds 5 under .500

Now comes July and as Reds announcers said, Reds have to beat other division teams besides Cubs, stating July 1st. Reds record is lousy against every division team besides Cubs. Of course a lot of that goes back to awful April start in those division games. Reds need to put some wins up against Brewers now. GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2019, 06:22 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Iggy has lost it.

It sure seems so. 5 run lead in the 9th hell throw it under handed if you have to but get it over the plate ! Your rarely gonna get beat with 6 solo HR's.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2019, 06:29 PM)kevin Wrote: So happy Disco still gets the Win, because it was 4-0 Reds lead when Bell over managed with pinch hitter in 6th. Disco pitched one of his best games ever.  Ex Pitcher announcer mentioned Disco was on other side of pitching rubber from 1st to 3rd. Hey, it worked, keep doing it.

So June ends with Reds 5 under .500

Now comes July and as Reds announcers said, Reds have to beat other division teams besides Cubs, stating July 1st.  Reds record is lousy against every division team besides Cubs.  Of course a lot of that goes back to awful April start in those division games. Reds need to put some wins up against Brewers now. GO REDS.

They sure do, they just about hafta win 3 of the four.
Reply/Quote