Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of June game thread
Casali starts for the third straight game including an off day in between . . . looks like Barnhart has finally been benched.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Well the Reds do it again just no offense, 4 hits total with two being HR's. Another one run loss
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Right now this team is a very, very shit!
Reply/Quote
I didn't see the game, but I did just turn it on to see the game is over and announcers saying how much better Reds were tonight in the loss. See, that is what I don't get about baseball. To me tonight is just as much of a loss as night before. No better, no worse. I didn't know the standings give you credit for coming close.

So Reds really need a win Sunday to avoid a sweep. They need to avoid the sweep because I think the Reds next play Houston who has been a World Series type team last few years. I had a bad feeling about Reds playing both Texas teams right now after struggling with NL East Washington & Philly. The key here is not to get swept at least. Reds really need to win Sunday to not have Rangers knock them 3 games deeper under .500 and only going 1 more game under is easier to get back. So out of desperation now, GO REDS. A win Sunday makes this series with Rangers not as bad. Castillo gives Reds a chance for a win in next series. Gennett & Wood are so close to joining team. WIN SUNDAY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2019, 11:35 PM)kevin Wrote: I didn't see the game, but I did just turn it on to see the game is over and announcers saying how much better Reds were tonight in the loss. See, that is what I don't get about baseball. To me tonight is just as much of a loss as night before. No better, no worse. I didn't know the standings give you credit for coming close.

So Reds really need a win Sunday to avoid a sweep. They need to avoid the sweep because I think the Reds next play Houston who has been a World Series type team last few years. I had a bad feeling about Reds playing both Texas teams right now after struggling with NL East Washington & Philly. The key here is not to get swept at least. Reds really need to win Sunday to not have Rangers knock them 3 games deeper under .500 and only going 1 more game under is easier to get back. So out of desperation now, GO REDS. A win Sunday makes this series with Rangers not as bad. Castillo gives Reds a chance for a win in next series. Gennett & Wood are so close to joining team. WIN SUNDAY.

Those announcers must have watched a different game then. The Reds almost had as many errors tonight as they did hits. Gennett and Wood aren’t baseball gods, the pitching hasn’t been bad anyways. Roark went 7 and gave up 2 ER’s. There’s no guarantee that Scooter will be hot out of the gate or even have a great second half. I’m at the realization that this isn’t a playoff team. They’re not gonna go twenty games over .500 in the second half, leap all of those other teams and grab a wild card spot. That isn’t going to happen! I’ll continue to follow them but wow, do they have a lot of issues! Ownership isn’t good, the manager Isn’t good and the overall talent isn’t very good. If they could just overcome those little things.
Reply/Quote
Quote:Ownership isn’t good, the manager Isn’t good and the overall talent isn’t very good. If they could just overcome those little things.
Ahhh...the little things.. Not to mention having a ball park designed for winning teams, not last place teams.. and rampant stupidity and.... Yup fellas.. The sun is about to set on the Reds season and the rest of the month gets no easier.. It already feels like September and yet its still early in June with ownership likely ready to have a huge celebration to kick off the fact the Pirates also suck.
WE're not the only sucky team in the division! YEY! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 11:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ahhh...the little things.. Not to mention having a ball park designed for winning teams, not last place teams.. and rampant stupidity and.... Yup fellas.. The sun is about to set on the Reds season and the rest of the month gets no easier.. It already feels like September and yet its still early in June with ownership likely ready to have a huge celebration to kick off the fact the Pirates also suck.
WE're not the only sucky team in the division! YEY! 

It’ll be ok, there’s a plan to ramp up the bobble head giveaways some more.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 12:56 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Those announcers must have watched a different game then. The Reds almost had as many errors tonight as they did hits. Gennett and Wood aren’t baseball gods, the pitching hasn’t been bad anyways. Roark went 7 and gave up 2 ER’s. There’s no guarantee that Scooter will be hot out of the gate or even have a great second half. I’m at the realization that this isn’t a playoff team. They’re not gonna go twenty games over .500 in the second half, leap all of those other teams and grab a wild card spot. That isn’t going to happen! I’ll continue to follow them but wow, do they have a lot of issues! Ownership isn’t good, the manager Isn’t good and the overall talent isn’t very good. If they could just overcome those little things.

Agree

I mean on the one hand and it's a little hand they have some good pieces in place to start a decent core. Suarez, Senzel, Castillo, Garrett, even J. Iglesias at SS. After that the bulk of the rest of the guys are just mid level bench type players. Votto is on the back side of his career and just not going to produce at a high level anymore. Scooter or Dietrich would be ok I guess at 2nd but neither is a great defender. Perhaps Cassali is going to develop at C but I'm not sure Barnhart is gonna cut it ?

Then you get to the outfield and it kinda falls apart. We've got Senzel at CF but the corners ? Puig just isn't the future in right I'm afraid and despite my high hopes for Winker I'm afraid he's just a bench player as well, same for Schebler. They need to get more consistent production from the LF, RF spots that's were you need your power hitters. 

Perhaps Sims and Hunter Greene or both can come up and produce ? Perhaps Wood can ?

This team is kinda close but they still need a bunch more.
Reply/Quote
Maybe a bobblehead giveaway for some long dead player from the deadball era's great grandson in attendance to cheer on the faithful?

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Well the offense came back, wonder how long they'll stay ?
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 03:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I mean on the one hand and it's a little hand they have some good pieces in place to start a decent core. Suarez, Senzel, Castillo, Garrett, even J. Iglesias at SS. After that the bulk of the rest of the guys are just mid level bench type players. Votto is on the back side of his career and just not going to produce at a high level anymore. Scooter or Dietrich would be ok I guess at 2nd but neither is a great defender. Perhaps Cassali is going to develop at C but I'm not sure Barnhart is gonna cut it ?

Then you get to the outfield and it kinda falls apart. We've got Senzel at CF but the corners ? Puig just isn't the future in right I'm afraid and despite my high hopes for Winker I'm afraid he's just a bench player as well, same for Schebler. They need to get more consistent production from the LF, RF spots that's were you need your power hitters. 

Perhaps Sims and Hunter Greene or both can come up and produce ? Perhaps Wood can ?

This team is kinda close but they still need a bunch more.

The guys that you mentioned are solid pieces, there just aren’t enough of them. I do like Iglesias at SS on a 2-3 year deal. Votto isn’t going anywhere and I kinda think he will play a little bit better than he has been to fish out his contract. Scooter is much more established than Dietrich but they will probably go with Peraza and Dietrich next year. Puig has looked good for the last 5 games, he will probably end the year hitting .250 25 80 which isn’t terrible. If he stays hot for a couple of weeks and the team still sucks, they should trade him. I like Casali and nobody will take Barnhart. They need to hope that he is having an off year and relegate him to less playing time. I do think that Winker will hit, he always has, I’m iffy on him because he doesn’t field or run well. I wouldn’t wast a spot on the 40 for Schebler. Greene won’t pitch this year and let’s hope that the surgery worked. He’s at least 2 and maybe 3 or 4 years from the bigs if they use him as a starter. He’s never racked up innings anywhere yet. I hate drafting high school pitchers. Wood will probably be traded if he can pitch a couple of games. Sims will probably be back up before years end. The Reds will have money to spend for next years team, let’s hope that luck is on their side.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 08:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: Maybe a bobblehead giveaway for some long dead player from the deadball era's great grandson in attendance to cheer on the faithful?

Lol. Don’t give them any ideas!
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 08:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Well the offense came back, wonder how long they'll stay ?

They face 3 good pitchers this next series.
Reply/Quote
I smell a Houston sweep coming and not in a good way.. I seriously doubt we see another 11 run breakout against their pitching nor anything even close. In fact a no-hitter won't surprise me in the least and yes, I definitely hope I'm once again proven dead wrong. MERCY!  Verlander vs Disco.. I hope he takes notes between innings.

Reply/Quote
I don't care about the score. Main thing is the Reds were not Swept by Texas. They avoided the sweep and only went backwards 1 game instead of 3. The score however should have saved the better bullpen for Houston coming in after Texas. Disco, Castillo, Mahle. It would be nice to win the first game and not be trying to avoid the sweep the last game. Reds have painted themselves into that corner a lot lately. Castillo gives Reds a chance for a win against any team in baseball, but Disco or Mahle need a good outing and with Wood coming back they are kind of pitching to stay in rotation.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Scooter Gennett is starting a rehab assignment today. Won’t be long now until he’s back.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Baseball players drive me crazy. Their production will fluctuate wildly for no apparent reason.

Take Schebler for instance. Coming into this season he had over 1100 major league at bats with a career .768 OPS. He was no "one-year-wonder" or a "flash in the pan". He had played 4 seasons and never had an OPS lower than .762. For those of you who don't know a .762 OPS would be good for 21st among all NL outfielders right now. It is not All-Star level, but it is very solid production. So why the hell was he just hitting .123 when we demoted him this year?

Winker had only had about 400 major league at bats before this season but he had a career .299 avg. Now he is hitting .244.

Tucker Barnhart had 1500 at bats coming into this season. He had hit between .248 and .270 each of the last 4 seasons and had a career average over .250. Now he is benched with a .199 avg.

Puig had a career .279 avg and had never hit lower than .255. He is only hitting .231 right now and that is just because he has 10 hits in his last 20 ABs to raise his average from ,210 just 5 games ago.
Reply/Quote
I am going to the Houston game today. Maybe I will bring the Reds good luck!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I’m guessing that Scooter is probably still 5-10 games away from the big club and that Wood is probably still 20-30 days or so away. I think that Wood has a throwing session tomorrow and how he reacts may determine if he is ready for assignment. He will have to pitch several games to build up innings before being added to the Reds as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 03:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This team is kinda close but they still need a bunch more.

Their schedule is brutal

The A's are at .500 after a loss yesterday
15 MLB teams above .500
14 MLB teams below .500

So far the Reds have played
14 series against teams at or above .500 - 
9 series against teams below .500 - the 3 series against Pittsburgh, Pitt was over .500 and so were the Padres

In 38 games against teams with a winning record, the Reds are 15-23.
The Yankees have only played 22 games against winning teams(11-11)
The Twins have only played 25 games against winning teams(13-12)
The Astros are an astounding 29-18 in 47 games against winning teams
The Cubs are 23-24 in 47 games against winning teams
The Pirates are 14-32 in 46 games against winning teams - every NL Central team has a losing record against teams over .500

From June 4th until July 28th, the Reds play 14 series against teams with a winning record. In the middle of that, they fly from Milwaukee to LA to play two games against the Angels(35-37). It will be their 3rd West Coast trip before the halfway point and another coming in mid-September. The Angels get Justin Upton back today, they could be above .500 next week when Cincinnati comes to town, which means it might be 15 straight series against teams with a winning record before playing Pittsburgh July 29th.

For the season
33 series against teams at or above .500
19 series against teams below .500
Angels 2 under .500
Padres 2 under
Mets 3 under
Nationals 5 under
Pirates 7 under but have a .451 winning percentage, Reds are at .449

47 series against teams with a better record than they have
5 series against teams with a worse record

To be honest, it's "kinda, sorta, maybe a little impressive" that they are this close with a brutal schedule, little to no hitting and dealing with the growing pains of a rookie manager still learning his roster.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote