Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of May games thread
(05-29-2019, 06:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Here’s a question and I didn’t watch the game but why in the hell did Bell use Mahle  to pinch run in the bottom of the 8th and down by 7? I’m sure he wasn’t loosened up. That’s asking for a needless hammy pull or a twisted ankle. Unless there’s something that I’m missing, this is the kinda thing that I can’t stand about Bell.

There was a long break as Bell argued after Suarez was hit. He had plenty of time to get loose.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Just when I thought the team was getting it together, a game like this happens. This may be a long season of ups and downs.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 07:05 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: There was a long break as Bell argued after Suarez was hit. He had plenty of time to get loose.

That’s good. I still think it’s stupid to even chance hurting your number 4 starter when there are bench players or a big group of relievers to choose from. Would you rather lose your number 4 or a middle reliever? Especially when you’re in the 8th and down by 7. Obviously, the odds of getting hurt are really low but there is that chance. I still think stuff like that is beyond dumb!
Reply/Quote
Much needed day off, those non stop road trips start wearing out the bullpen and that's no good, they need to go the whole season. So day off today and Monday was what the doctor ordered.

Tanner Roark will face his old team. Looks like Reds will miss Strasburg maybe, not sure if they will miss Castillo, depends on if Bell gives Castillo or Gray the extra rest of not pitching until next week. Reds will face Mad Max and all the K's he puts up each game. Washington is one tough series. They have some hitting and always have that pitching. Reds come in with pitching also. Could be a low scoring series, maybe. Good pitching on both teams.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 04:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: That’s good. I still think it’s stupid to even chance hurting your number 4 starter when there are bench players or a big group of relievers to choose from. Would you rather lose your number 4 or a middle reliever? Especially when you’re in the 8th and down by 7. Obviously, the odds of getting hurt are really low but there is that chance. I still think stuff like that is beyond dumb!

Suarez had to leave the game and it's not like they asked Castillo to go in.  Down 7, they weren't wanting him to steal.  It's not like they were asking the moon & stars out of him.  Down 7, you aren't trying to take an extra base with a slide.  I have seen teams use a pitcher to run in this situation a million times, and I've never seen it cause injuries.  Mahle wasn't injured and it had no impact on the game score.  The # 4 or # 5 starters have to expect to get called on to base run when a batter is hit and leaves the game.  You wouldn't waste a reliever or pinch hitter in case somehow you make a comeback, because that would be stupid.  It wasn't like they asked Castillo to go in.  I'm also old enough to see Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale used as pinch hitters, which is even more dangerous and they were Hall Of Fame Pitchers.   Putting Mahle in to replace injured Suarez to run is something teams have done all through baseball and not that big of a deal.  Down 7, he wasn't being asked to slide or steal. 

If you want to get angry, get angry at cheap shot Pittsburgh hitting Suarez on purpose. Pittsburgh hit Suarez last year and put him out a few games also. Pittsburgh has been crying in the media over the games Reds beat them. Pirates just as cheap shot as Steelers. Putting in Mahle to run never comes up if Pittsburgh doesn't cheap shot bean Suarez because they are upset Cincy won a few games. Two years in a row Pittsburgh beans Suarez to point he misses games both times, whats up with that ? Cheap Shot Pittsburgh as usual. In old school baseball, in the 9th, the first Pirate batter would have been beaned by Reds. In old days, the bean ball payback came fast. Players would have told a pitcher to nail one of Pirates the next inning.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 06:52 PM)kevin Wrote: Suarez had to leave the game and it's not like they asked Castillo to go in.  Down 7, they weren't wanting him to steal.  It's not like they were asking the moon & stars out of him.  Down 7, you aren't trying to take an extra base with a slide.  I have seen teams use a pitcher to run in this situation a million times, and I've never seen it cause injuries.  Mahle wasn't injured and it had no impact on the game score.  The # 4 or # 5 starters have to expect to get called on to base run when a batter is hit and leaves the game.  You wouldn't waste a reliever or pinch hitter in case somehow you make a comeback, because that would be stupid.  It wasn't like they asked Castillo to go in.  I'm also old enough to see Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale used as pinch hitters, which is even more dangerous and they were Hall Of Fame Pitchers.   Putting Mahle in to replace injured Suarez to run is something teams have done all through baseball and not that big of a deal.  Down 7, he wasn't being asked to slide or steal. 

If you want to get angry, get angry at cheap shot Pittsburgh hitting Suarez on purpose. Pittsburgh hit Suarez last year and put him out a few games also. Pittsburgh has been crying in the media over the games Reds beat them. Pirates just as cheap shot as Steelers. Putting in Mahle to run never comes up if Pittsburgh doesn't cheap shot bean Suarez because they are upset Cincy won a few games. Two years in a row Pittsburgh beans Suarez to point he misses games both times, whats up with that ? Cheap Shot Pittsburgh as usual. In old school baseball, in the 9th, the first Pirate batter would have been beaned by Reds. In old days, the bean ball payback came fast. Players would have told a pitcher to nail one of Pirates the next inning.

I know that injuries rarely happen on the base paths, they do occasionally happen though. I just never take an Unnecessary to sk. There were relievers that weren’t going to pitch in the game, that would seem to be a better option to me. That’s just my opinion though.
Reply/Quote
Duke back off DL R Stephenson placed on DL

Peralta recalled and Wood placed on 60 day DL

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/zach-duke-activated-robert-stephenson-to-il
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote