Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of May games thread
This is Gray's 7th start. I believe he had 1 start where he only gave up one run ? But in the other 5 now 6 games he's had one awful inning. If he could eliminate that bad inning his ERA would be cut in half.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow they are trying really hard to blow the 8-0 lead they once had.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 10:26 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Wow they are trying really hard to blow the 8-0 lead they once had.

Yup, next thing you know they'll put Duke in for the 7th and the Giants will take the lead.
Reply/Quote
Bell could be the worst manager that I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched a shitload of baseball over the years.
Reply/Quote
Reds finally hit and pitching sucks. The closer is just not the same guy. Also, Votto batting first is not working. 0-7 for 25 Mil. damn.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:03 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Reds finally hit and pitching sucks.  The closer is just not the same guy.  Also, Votto batting first is not working.  0-7 for 25 Mil.  damn.

Yup, just unbelievable ! 

Votto ? he just looked totally lost at the plate ! 3 strikeouts and his average has dropped 20 points in the last couple games - .217 He leads the team with 33 strikeouts now. Votto needs to be batting 8th, he really does, he only has 5 RBI's.

Iglesias or Winker need to be leading off
Reply/Quote
Bell took Derek Dietrich out of the game early to put a relief pitcher in that spot. Dietrich was having a career night. He was the reason Reds had a big lead. His homers and RBI's in that game were the reason they had a big lead. He should have been the last guy you take out of last nights game. For some reason, and I don't know what it is, the Reds are determined NOT to play Dietrich. As hot as he was, to take him out of the game early, makes no sense. The Reds need to dump this thing the announcers talk about as their long range players for many years in the future, because some of those guys just aren't hitting. Nobody has more clutch hits on Reds this season than Dietrich and last night he was just on fire hitting everything for homers. Besides taking out Dietrich early Bell also took Winker out early who has been hot last 7 games and was hot last night. So in the late innings as Reds lost they weren't in line-up to bat. Votto was who went 0-7. The Reds need to rethink what the heck they are doing and they better do it fast. For some reason they are determined NOT to play the hot bats on a team that is in dire need of hitting. The worst hitting team in baseball could use these hot bats in the line-up. Reds need to rethink what the heck they are doing, and they need to do it fast. Maybe throw out the window what their long range plans are, and play the hot bats now.

As for the pitching, it has been the strong point. Maybe Bell went to the bullpen once too often and too much last night. Teams use to carry a 6th start long reliever, don't we have a guy like that anymore to eat some relief innings and give the pen a rest from time to time ? I'm not down on the relievers last night because they did their jobs a lot lately but Reds scored no runs to help them in those games.

I can see the bullpen after so many good games having an off game, maybe being over used. What I can't see is taking out Dietrich early who was having a career night. Will he even be in line-up Saturday ? Reds better rethink what the heck they are doing. Maybe Reds already have their minds made up Dietrich is only a short term add on, but he was way too hot last night to take out of the game. 2 homers and 6 or 7 RBI's, you don't take a guy having a game like that out early in the game, that was just stupid.

So get them Saturday and Sunday I guess, but the hot bats need to play and the cold bats need to sit. Dietrich and Winker and Iglesias are hot bats and should be playing. Reds better rethink their long range plans if these cold bats don't wake up.

Last nights game was around 4 and a half hours long. I'm old school. That is too long. Baseball has too many of these 4 hour plus games. I turned the game off from time to time last night and didn't even watch the extra innings. That game Thursday, I'm sorry Reds lost but the game time of around 2 hours long was the way games use to be played. 4 and a half hours is too long. The Mets didn't take their red hot player Syndergaard out Thursday and Reds should never have taken out red hot Dietrich Friday.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 07:06 AM)kevin Wrote: Bell took Derek Dietrich out of the game early to put a relief pitcher in that spot. Dietrich was having a career night. He was the reason Reds had a big lead. His homers and RBI's in that game were the reason they had a big lead. He should have been the last guy you take out of last nights game. For some reason, and I don't know what it is, the Reds are determined NOT to play Dietrich. As hot as he was, to take him out of the game early, makes no sense. The Reds need to dump this thing the announcers talk about as their long range players for many years in the future, because some of those guys just aren't hitting. Nobody has more clutch hits on Reds this season than Dietrich and last night he was just on fire hitting everything for homers. Besides taking out Dietrich early Bell also took Winker out early who has been hot last 7 games and was hot last night. So in the late innings as Reds lost they weren't in line-up to bat. Votto was who went 0-7. The Reds need to rethink what the heck they are doing and they better do it fast. For some reason they are determined NOT to play the hot bats on a team that is in dire need of hitting. The worst hitting team in baseball could use these hot bats in the line-up. Reds need to rethink what the heck they are doing, and they need to do it fast. Maybe throw out the window what their long range plans are, and play the hot bats now.

As for the pitching, it has been the strong point. Maybe Bell went to the bullpen once too often and too much last night. Teams use to carry a 6th start long reliever, don't we have a guy like that anymore to eat some relief innings and give the pen a rest from time to time ? I'm not down on the relievers last night because they did their jobs a lot lately but Reds scored no runs to help them in those games.

I can see the bullpen after so many good games having an off game, maybe being over used. What I can't see is taking out Dietrich early who was having a career night. Will he even be in line-up Saturday ? Reds better rethink what the heck they are doing. Maybe Reds already have their minds made up Dietrich is only a short term add on, but he was way too hot last night to take out of the game. 2 homers and 6 or 7 RBI's, you don't take a guy having a game like that out early in the game, that was just stupid.

So get them Saturday and Sunday I guess, but the hot bats need to play and the cold bats need to sit. Dietrich and Winker and Iglesias are hot bats and should be playing. Reds better rethink their long range plans if these cold bats don't wake up.

Last nights game was around 4 and a half hours long. I'm old school. That is too long. Baseball has too many of these 4 hour plus games. I turned the game off from time to time last night and didn't even watch the extra innings. That game Thursday, I'm sorry Reds lost but the game time of around 2 hours long was the way games use to be played. 4 and a half hours is too long. The Mets didn't take their red hot player Syndergaard out Thursday and Reds should never have taken out red hot Dietrich Friday.

Good post. He shouldn’t have pulled either as they were both hitting well. He also pinch ran a catcher for a catcher, losing him as a pinchhitter. He let the starting pitcher hit, just to pull him anyway to start the next inning. He had Lorenzen in with 3 left handed hitters due up while Garret was ready to pitch. I only watched half of the game and noticed this much mismanagement in like 4 innings. He did show everyone that he knows how to do a double switch though. He’s easily, heavily contributed to 5 losses already this year. He left Jose Peralta in way too long and gave back 4 runs there. I have never ever seen so many crap moves in a single game. It was as if he bet money against the Reds or he was high on drugs. The dude is there because of his family and is way out of his league. If this guy has a 3 year deal, there is no hope regardless of players. He has been the worst coach I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how a guy can go from this bad to just mediocre. Management needs to set some guidelines or bring someone in to coach as this guy gets the credit or something. This Nepotism is killing that cities teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 07:06 AM)kevin Wrote: Bell took Derek Dietrich out of the game early to put a relief pitcher in that spot.  Dietrich was having a career night. He was the reason Reds had a big lead. His homers and RBI's in that game were the reason they had a big lead.  He should have been the last guy you take out of last nights game.  For some reason, and I don't know what it is, the Reds are determined NOT to play Dietrich.  As hot as he was, to take him out of the game early, makes no sense.  The Reds need to dump this thing the announcers talk about as their long range players for many years in the future, because some of those guys just aren't hitting.  Nobody has more clutch hits on Reds this season than Dietrich and last night he was just on fire hitting everything for homers. Besides taking out Dietrich early Bell also took Winker out early who has been hot last 7 games and was hot last night.  So in the late innings as Reds lost they weren't in line-up to bat. Votto was who went 0-7.  The Reds need to rethink what the heck they are doing and they better do it fast.  For some reason they are determined NOT to play the hot bats on a team that is in dire need of hitting. The worst hitting team in baseball could use these hot bats in the line-up. Reds need to rethink what the heck they are doing, and they need to do it fast.  Maybe throw out the window what their long range plans are, and play the hot bats now.  

As for the pitching, it has been the strong point.  Maybe Bell went to the bullpen once too often and too much last night.  Teams use to carry a 6th start long reliever, don't we have a guy like that anymore to eat some relief innings and give the pen a rest from time to time ?  I'm not down on the relievers last night because they did their jobs a lot lately but Reds scored no runs to help them in those games.

I can see the bullpen after so many good games having an off game, maybe being over used. What I can't see is taking out Dietrich early who was having a career night.  Will he even be in line-up Saturday ?  Reds better rethink what the heck they are doing.  Maybe Reds already have their minds made up Dietrich is only a short term add on, but he was way too hot last night to take out of the game.  2 homers and 6 or 7 RBI's, you don't take a guy having a game like that out early in the game, that was just stupid.

So get them Saturday and Sunday I guess, but the hot bats need to play and the cold bats need to sit.  Dietrich and Winker and Iglesias are hot bats and should be playing.  Reds better rethink their long range plans if these cold bats don't wake up.

Last nights game was around 4 and a half hours long.  I'm old school.  That is too long.  Baseball has too many of these 4 hour plus games. I turned the game off from time to time last night and didn't even watch the extra innings.  That game Thursday, I'm sorry Reds lost but the game time of around 2 hours long was the way games use to be played.  4 and a half hours is too long. The Mets didn't take their red hot player Syndergaard out Thursday and Reds should never have taken out red hot Dietrich Friday.

I think they ought to sign Dietrich and Iglesias to long term deals.  Dietrich is the new Gennett!
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 12:56 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Good post. He shouldn’t have pulled either as they were both hitting well. He also pinch ran a catcher for a catcher, losing him as a pinchhitter. He let the starting pitcher hit, just to pull him anyway to start the next inning. He had Lorenzen in with 3 left handed hitters due up while Garret was ready to pitch. I only watched half of the game and noticed this much mismanagement in like 4 innings. He did show everyone that he knows how to do a double switch though. He’s easily, heavily contributed to 5 losses already this year. He left Jose Peralta in way too long and gave back 4 runs there. I have never ever seen so many crap moves in a single game. It was as if he bet money against the Reds or he was high on drugs. The dude is there because of his family and is way out of his league. If this guy has a 3 year deal, there is no hope regardless of players. He has been the worst coach I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how a guy can go from this bad to just mediocre. Management needs to set some guidelines or bring someone in to coach as this guy gets the credit or something. This Nepotism is killing that cities teams.

Baker did some stupid things I couldn't stand it but at least Reds won.  I am willing to give Bell the entire year for him to make better decisions but you do NOT take out the hot player.  You do NOT bat Votto first.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 01:28 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Bell could be the worst manager that I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched a shitload of baseball over the years.

DumbBell doesn't know what to do until his chart tells him what to do.

The Reds pulled the plug early on Tony Perez as a manager because they knew that he didn't know what he was doing. They need to repeat that removal of an obvious mistake.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 01:28 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Bell could be the worst manager that I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched a shitload of baseball over the years.

You got me sold. I've seen a lot of questionable calls, but Bell takes the cake. The thing is he has no excuse. His grandfather played the game. His father played and he played. David Bell was quite literally born into baseball and yet he manages like he's never been around the game his entire life.. His father and grandfather have got to be wondering where they went wrong.
I subscribed to MLB.tv this year after pretty much ignoring baseball the past few years and now regret the investment. Last night had to be one of THE most disappointing games I've ever watched that wasn't a playoff or world series game.. Just inexcusable.

Something that was highly overlooked prior to Bell's hiring maybe..

From Redsminorleagues.com
"Before he joined the Cubs, he was in the Reds organization as a minor league manager. In 2009-2011 he managed the Carolina Mudcats before taking over with the Louisville Bats in 2012. While managing at the minor league level for the Reds, Bell never had a winning record – with his best season coming in his first year, posting a 65-74 record. Overall he won 227 games and lost 332 games, with his record getting worse each season." 
And now we're probably stuck with this turd for 3 years..Yippie..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 02:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Baker did some stupid things I couldn't stand it but at least Reds won.  I am willing to give Bell the entire year for him to make better decisions but you do NOT take out the hot player.  You do NOT bat Votto first.  

We have to be willing to give him the whole year and probably 3 years. The thing that makes me mad is that there are 30 MLB manager jobs. Can anyone believe that Bell is one of the top 30 best and available managers in the world? He’s looked clueless all year. It’s Nepotism. His qualifications are that’s his dad has close ties to ownership. You would’ve thought that he would have some common sense being a former player and being around it all of his life. I guarantee that he’s worse than Riggleman was.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:20 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: DumbBell doesn't know what to do until his chart tells him what to do.

The Reds pulled the plug early on Tony Perez as a manager because they knew that he didn't know what he was doing. They need to repeat that removal of an obvious mistake.

I think Bell has a 3 year deal though so they won’t eat that much.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: You got me sold. I've seen a lot of questionable calls, but Bell takes the cake. The thing is he has no excuse. His grandfather played the game. His father played and he played. David Bell was quite literally born into baseball and yet he manages like he's never been around the game his entire life.. His father and grandfather have got to be wondering where they went wrong.
I subscribed to MLB.tv this year after pretty much ignoring baseball the past few years and now regret the investment. Last night had to be one of THE most disappointing games I've ever watched that wasn't a playoff or world series game.. Just inexcusable.

Something that was highly overlooked prior to Bell's hiring maybe..

From Redsminorleagues.com
"Before he joined the Cubs, he was in the Reds organization as a minor league manager. In 2009-2011 he managed the Carolina Mudcats before taking over with the Louisville Bats in 2012. While managing at the minor league level for the Reds, Bell never had a winning record – with his best season coming in his first year, posting a 65-74 record. Overall he won 227 games and lost 332 games, with his record getting worse each season." 
And now we're probably stuck with this turd for 3 years..Yippie..
That’s the thing, it’s not like he had a positive track record. They brought in a guy that’s worse than the last guy. I understand their allegiance but they should have signed a one year deal with the understanding that he would be evaluated at the AllStar game. He would have taken that deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 12:56 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Good post. He shouldn’t have pulled either as they were both hitting well. He also pinch ran a catcher for a catcher, losing him as a pinchhitter. He let the starting pitcher hit, just to pull him anyway to start the next inning. He had Lorenzen in with 3 left handed hitters due up while Garret was ready to pitch. I only watched half of the game and noticed this much mismanagement in like 4 innings. He did show everyone that he knows how to do a double switch though. He’s easily, heavily contributed to 5 losses already this year. He left Jose Peralta in way too long and gave back 4 runs there. I have never ever seen so many crap moves in a single game. It was as if he bet money against the Reds or he was high on drugs. The dude is there because of his family and is way out of his league. If this guy has a 3 year deal, there is no hope regardless of players. He has been the worst coach I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how a guy can go from this bad to just mediocre. Management needs to set some guidelines or bring someone in to coach as this guy gets the credit or something. This Nepotism is killing that cities teams.

Bell has got to figure it out and fast ! He makes changes just for the sake of making changes. Pulling starters after 80 pitches when they're doing well, We've had a different starting lineup virtually every game ! Batting guys leadoff with a .125 average and .220 OBP. Votto has no business leading off right now, stop acting like this is little league and you need to get every player in the game.

Now that Kemp has been released ans Schebler sent down he'll stop playing musical lineup so much ? Get a damn starting 8 and stick to it. I get guys need rest but hell we're one month into the season and they're not that tired already. Iglesias or Winker need to leadoff, I don't care who's feelings get hurt bat the guys in the order they deserve, Votto needs to be 7th or 8th. Stop saving the starters arms with 80 pitch crap. It will matter not if we're 20 games out at the start of June what arm they have left in August. Stop acting like you're managing the 6th game of the World Series every night running thru the entire bullpen. 

Bell is way, way overmanaging !
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 07:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bell has got to figure it out and fast ! He makes changes just for the sake of making changes. Pulling starters after 80 pitches when they're doing well, We've had a different starting lineup virtually every game ! Batting guys leadoff with a .125 average and .220 OBP. Votto has no business leading off right now, stop acting like this is little league and you need to get every player in the game.

Now that Kemp has been released ans Schebler sent down he'll stop playing musical lineup so much ? Get a damn starting 8 and stick to it. I get guys need rest but hell we're one month into the season and they're not that tired already. Iglesias or Winker need to leadoff, I don't care who's feelings get hurt bat the guys in the order they deserve, Votto needs to be 7th or 8th. Stop saving the starters arms with 80 pitch crap. It will matter not if we're 20 games out at the start of June what arm they have left in August. Stop acting like you're managing the 6th game of the World Series every night running thru the entire bullpen. 

Bell is way, way overmanaging !

I do think that we now have our solid 8.
I imagine the starting line up will, until further notice (not counting days off), be some variation of:
Senzel CF
Votto 1B
Winker LF
Suarez 3B
Puig RF
Iglesias/DD/Scooter 2B/SS
Peraza 2B/SS
Barnhart C
Pitcher's slot

Maybe throw Barnhart, Iglesias or Peraza in the 9 slot on occasion (though I'm generally not a big fan of that strategy).

I'm glad they cut Kemp. It was clear he didn't want to be here and played with no energy.

I'm also so glad they dropped Schebler down. He is pressing so hard right now. I think it'll be good for him to play in meaningless games for a while. Let him get used to seeing pitches without the pressure of the Reds' season on his shoulders. He looked blind in the vast majority of his ABs this year and I think it was because he felt like he didn't actually earn the job out of spring training.

Maybe in mid June he'll be called back up and be a good bench bat and reserve OF, which is what his role will likely be for the remainder of his career (as it should be.)
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I do think that we now have our solid 8.
I imagine the starting line up will, until further notice (not counting days off), be some variation of:
Senzel CF
Votto 1B
Winker LF
Suarez 3B
Puig RF
Iglesias/DD/Scooter 2B/SS
Peraza 2B/SS
Barnhart C
Pitcher's slot

Maybe throw Barnhart, Iglesias or Peraza in the 9 slot on occasion (though I'm generally not a big fan of that strategy).

I'm glad they cut Kemp. It was clear he didn't want to be here and played with no energy.

I'm also so glad they dropped Schebler down. He is pressing so hard right now. I think it'll be good for him to play in meaningless games for a while. Let him get used to seeing pitches without the pressure of the Reds' season on his shoulders. He looked blind in the vast majority of his ABs this year and I think it was because he felt like he didn't actually earn the job out of spring training.

Maybe in mid June he'll be called back up and be a good bench bat and reserve OF, which is what his role will likely be for the remainder of his career (as it should be.)
They better be thinking in terms on playing Dietrich.  He keeps hitting homers.  

I like tonight that Roark gave them innings and they have a big lead.  I also like that they brought up and put in Cody Reed from minors.  I mentioned this after last night.  You can't pitch your best bullpen pitchers every game.  Every team needs some bum up from the minors that has one job, eat innings. Win or lose, eat innings, If his arm falls off, he can always say he once made it from the minors to the majors.  So I liked that they called up this guy from minors and tonight he is in eating the last innings as bullpen gets a rest. Every team needs a bum to be long relief mop up man, that is needed.  Without it you burn out your bullpen. 

So I'm glad Reds winning. I'm glad Roark ate innings. I'm glad they brought somebody up from minors to eat last innings with big lead as a long reliever.  I'm glad Dietrich was back in line-up and hit another home run. 

Bell made a HUGE mistake taking him out last night after hitting 2 homers in the game.  That was awful by Bell last night, but they seem to have learned from it, Maybe. I can't imagine a manager seeing a batter start game game with a 3 run homer, then bat again and hit another 3 run homer, and manager in dugout thinking, " Boy, I better get him out of the game ", which is what Bell did last night with Dietrich. Very stupid by Bell last night. Much better tonight though. Bell put Dietrich in and guess what, another homer tonight.

Reds Win.  Series tied. Get them Sunday and win this home series. 

Once again. I like bringing up a long reliever from Minors and he ate innings. Tonight he pitched OK. If next time out he gets clobbered, it doesn't matter. A long reliever has one job, eat innings and give a tired bullpen a game off. That's it. That's his job. Eat innings. Every team needs some bum up from the minors to do this as a mop up man long reliever. He is like a man with a mop and a mop bucket up from minors, for that mop up job, but every team needs a mop up guy or they will burn out their bullpen. They are very needed if your are down early 10 to 0. You had that guy his mop and it doesn't matter if you lose 100 to 0 at that point, he stays out there and mops. maybe taking one for the team. In a 162 game season, there are games you don't want to waste your bullpen on. Reed was good tonight, which is nice. Still, he needs to be Long Relief Mop Up. Reds need that.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I actually really like Cody Reed as a pitcher. I think he can be more than a mop up pitcher. He has been close the last few years but walks have gotten in the way. I could see him taking the Stephenson path.

Our bullpen is really talented, as is our starting 5.

If it weren't for this offense inexplicably doing nothing for the first month of the season, I think we could easily be a over .500 team.
Reply/Quote
I'd be fine sitting Votto awhile and let Dietrich play first. That fixes a HUGE missing hole in the lineup immediately. I'm not sure about 2nd and Peraza, but at least he's hitting better than Votto and offering more defensively. The OF seems set for now, but who knows when any of these guys may cool down again, but play em when they're hot. 
And when you have a comfortable lead don't leave someone in to dry out the way Peralta did the other night. That was a sole crusher for him. I hope he snaps back.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote