Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds moving towards Sonny Gray trade
(01-21-2019, 08:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That is an absolutely spectacular deal. basically 4 years/ 38 million for a pitcher who was considered a top end starting pitcher a year and a half ago.

Last year, these are his home and away splits.
[Image: iMgBts2.jpg]

The away numbers are insanely better than his home splits.
The natural inclination is to think that must have to do with pitching in a hitter's parks like Yankee Stadium (and GABP).

But it doesn't seem like pitching at home is that big of a disadvantage for Yankees pitchers, as the rest of the staff, nearly uniformly, performed better at home than away.

So it must be fly balls right?

Well, Gray is actually a pretty great groundball pitcher, ranking 7th among pitchers with 130 or more innings pitched.

So what's the deal?

The idea that he just doesn't meld with the Yankees, a high pressure high expectations situation, is something that has been thrown around and it has merit. It may be an entirely mental thing.

These two articles really sold me on the potential for Gray bouncing back in a big way in 2019:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25385411/here-why-other-teams-want-new-york-yankees-sonny-gray
https://www.redreporter.com/2019/1/21/18189845/reds-yankees-trade-sonny-gray-shed-long

Not every player wants to be a Yankee, some just want to beat the Yankees.

-SunsetBengal 2019
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 03:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Today news state the deal is held up by the Red's offer to Gray for an extension.  If I remember correctly, wasn't Gray 3rd in Cy Young voting in 2015?

With that said, I was hoping they would extend Alex Wood because I think he is probably the team's best starter as of 1/21/19.  

They got that extension and totally agree on Wood. He’s probably the best of the 3 new guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 07:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see that last season he posted a 4.9 era, but his lifetime is 3.66, and that he came up with the A's.  Could it be that he just didn't fit well with NY?  NYC life isn't for everybody..

I think New York got to him. Dude had a 3.18 ERA on the road last year. Only place he couldn't pitch was Yankee Stadium. 

Side note:

I think people are kinda selling the Alex Wood acquisition short. Dude has pitched like a 1 before, and is easily a good #2 on a good ball club. I know people are pumped about Puig, but Alex Wood was the bigger get from that trade, imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 08:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That is an absolutely spectacular deal. basically 4 years/ 38 million for a pitcher who was considered a top end starting pitcher a year and a half ago.

Last year, these are his home and away splits.
[Image: iMgBts2.jpg]

The away numbers are insanely better than his home splits.
The natural inclination is to think that must have to do with pitching in a hitter's parks like Yankee Stadium (and GABP).

But it doesn't seem like pitching at home is that big of a disadvantage for Yankees pitchers, as the rest of the staff, nearly uniformly, performed better at home than away.

So it must be fly balls right?

Well, Gray is actually a pretty great groundball pitcher, ranking 7th among pitchers with 130 or more innings pitched.

So what's the deal?

The idea that he just doesn't meld with the Yankees, a high pressure high expectations situation, is something that has been thrown around and it has merit. It may be an entirely mental thing.

These two articles really sold me on the potential for Gray bouncing back in a big way in 2019:
http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25385411/here-why-other-teams-want-new-york-yankees-sonny-gray
https://www.redreporter.com/2019/1/21/18189845/reds-yankees-trade-sonny-gray-shed-long

I love the deal. They got the extension and a LH reliever prospect that wasn’t originally mentioned. It’s a team friendly deal and I’m guessing that facing a pitcher instead of a DH won’t hurt his line much. Just cross the fingers at home.
Reply/Quote