Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds open with Tigers 7-24-2020
That is the Covid plan anyway. Bell says Sonny Gray in opener.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Very strange how things are turning out with everything from the virus to contract negotiations to a glut of OFers..
Last fall or whenever the rule 5 draft happened I was really looking forward to seeing Mark Payton be a headliner for the club and in any ordinary season he probably would have been an automatic gimme to start at just about any OF position. He had great numbers in both power and average and not too shabby defensively. Just a few years ago we really had nobody we could call a star OFer and suddenly fabulous prospects are somehow just mere after thoughts. Whoda thunked it?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2020, 09:52 AM)grampahol Wrote: Very strange how things are turning out with everything from the virus to contract negotiations to a glut of OFers..
Last fall or whenever the rule 5 draft happened I was really looking forward to seeing Mark Payton be a headliner for the club and in any ordinary season he probably would have been an automatic gimme to start at just about any OF position. He had great numbers in both power and average and not too shabby defensively. Just a few years ago we really had nobody we could call a star OFer and suddenly fabulous prospects are somehow just mere after thoughts. Whoda thunked it?  

Huh? Who?

(looks him up).

Um, yeah Gramps, I think you're a bit too hopeful:

1. He's not a, "Star Prospect;" he's 29 years old. If he hasn't cracked a ML roster by now, he's nowhere. Maybe in Japan.
2. He played last year in the best hitters park in Minor's history; seriously, look at all of the no-name players who put up gawdy numbers in LV.
3. He doesn't seem like a bad AAA player at all, but at best, he's a AAAA (Quad-A) player.

He could surprise and all that, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for this guy.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2020, 04:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh? Who?

(looks him up).

1. He's not a, "Star Prospect;" he's 29 years old. If he hasn't cracked a ML roster by now, he's nowhere. Maybe in Japan.
2. He played last year in the best hitters park in Minor's history; seriously, look at all of the no-name players who put up gawdy numbers in LV.
3. He doesn't seem like a bad AAA player at all, but at best, he's a AAAA (Quad-A) player.

Plus the Reds have more outfielders now than they can play and there is no minors to send them to in 2020.   However Reds have been adding minors players other teams cutting to load up minors in 2021. 

2 month season doesn't allow tinkering around like 6 month season.  Hopefuls, Maybes and Futures won't cut it.   Reds have to FIRE OUT with a great 8.   This is a 2 month sprint, not a 6 month marathon.   This will have a football season feel with 102 less games.  60 games means Reds need to come out of the gate strong. 

No, the Reds OF crowded enough.  There is no room for this 29 year old still trying to make The Bigs. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2020, 04:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh? Who?

(looks him up).

Did you read his post? I took it as he was referring to his thoughts last Fall when they picked him up and how different it is now after the whole "out of character" off-season the Reds had. Last Fall Aquino was a sure fire starter, this Spring he was looking like a camp cut/demotion or a platoon player at best.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 11:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Did you read his post? I took it as he was referring to his thoughts last Fall when they picked him up and how different it is now after the whole "out of character" off-season the Reds had. Last Fall Aquino was a sure fire starter, this Spring he was looking like a camp cut/demotion or a platoon player at best.

It's hard to get a pulse on Gramps' posts; I took it as he's disappointed/lamenting that Payton had such a great year in LV, but due to the Coronavirus he won't get a shot at making the roster.

I then added that regardless of the year he had, he'll NEVER make a roster because outlier years at LV are as common as how many MLB players are American lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote