Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds pick up a couple of relievers from the Yankees for a player to be named later
From MLB.com . . . looks like they still have two more years of control of Cessa

ST. PETERSBURG -- In a move that could be a precursor for Trade Deadline activity to come, the Yankees dealt right-hander Luis Cessa and left-hander Justin Wilson to the Reds late on Tuesday evening in exchange for a player to be named later.

The Yankees have been actively seeking financial relief in advance of Friday’s 4 p.m. ET Trade Deadline, a source told MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand. Yet the moves are curious because the Yankees’ bullpen has been a problem area, with Cessa having been one of their more reliable options.

Cessa, 29, was 3-1 with a 2.82 ERA in 29 relief appearances. In six seasons with the Yanks (2016-21), he was 10-13 with four saves and a 4.19 ERA in 131 games (19 starts). Cessa is earning $1.05 million -- about $400,000 for the rest of the season -- and is arbitration-eligible in each of the next two seasons.

Wilson, 33, was 1-1 with a 7.50 ERA in 21 relief appearances. He missed 34 games over two stints on the injured list with left shoulder inflammation and a right hamstring strain. Wilson is owed about $1 million this year, plus a $1.15 million buyout, a $2.3 million player option or a $7.15 million club option.

Over 10 Major League seasons with the Pirates (2012-14), Yankees (2015, ’21), Tigers (2016-17), Cubs (2017-18) and Mets (2019-20), Wilson has posted a 33-23 record with 18 saves and a 3.44 ERA in 501 relief appearances.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Cessa seems like a nice pick up. 2 years of control for a ~3 to 4 ERA relief pitcher is a solid deadline acquisition. Wilson should provide some stability too if he can stay healthy. I doubt we pick up that option though.

Now all we need to figure out is who we gave up for them. Hopefully, no one too substantial.
Reply/Quote
Just made another trade for a reliever from the Rockies.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Glad to see the Reds are buyers this year. We have a chance to win the division or get a wildcard for sure.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 01:35 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Glad to see the Reds are buyers this year. We have a chance to win the division or get a wildcard for sure.

So you're telling me there's a chance.  Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 09:03 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: So you're telling me there's a chance.  Rock On

Right, let's hope
Reply/Quote
Mychal Givens from the Rockies.. 2.73 era.. Nice pickup even if he's a half year rental..  Never know what he might do in the off season..stick around perhaps? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 10:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right, let's hope

Absolutely hope..I've never done anything but hope even when they were losing 100 games..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote