Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds sign Free Agent Relief Pitcher Storen
Jan 3rd, 2017....Finally a move by the Reds....Yes, we had the worst pitching in baseball in 2016....No, Hoover was not the answer to Chapman....Yes, Reds could use this veteran relief pitcher.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 09:33 PM)kevin Wrote: Jan 3rd, 2017....Finally a move by the Reds....Yes, we had the worst pitching in baseball in 2016....No, Hoover was not the answer to Chapman....Yes, Reds could use this veteran relief pitcher.

He grew up as a Reds fan.  Slot him in where Ohlendorf and Diaz pitched last year.  Keep Iglesias closing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If he can get his velocity back up to 94-95, as opposed to 90-91 where it was last year, should be a phenomenal signing.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: If he can get his velocity back up to 94-95, as opposed to 90-91 where it was last year, should be a phenomenal signing.

that is a big "if" though.  Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Anything is an improvement over Jumbo Diaz and Hoover and some of the batting practice relievers Reds tried last season. Reds pitching was pretty bad last year. I don't know who's worse, the starters or the bullpen. They all ended up as one of the worst pitching staffs in MLB. Even IF we had good hitters, you can't win with that type of pitching. Of course going into 2017, hitting is big question mark also. If this pitcher could help get us to the 9th inning. He is probably no closer. If by some miracle the Reds even have a lead, they could use middle relief and set up help to get the win. It would be most helpful if our starters could eat more innings than they have been......So, good chance this guy is on the staff unless he is even worse than our other slugs.

I see Reds keep talking about getting a veteran starter and a veteran catcher. They tried to trade Phillips and Cozart. Phillips refused the trade to Atlanta. Not much detail on who Atlanta was trading us. It doesn't matter since Phillips used his veteran veto power. Reds want to use the younger players they have at second and short this year. Reds say if they can't trade Phillips or Cozart they intend to play the other guys at least half the time or more anyway. Reds want Peraza and Herrera in a lot more. Not saying that's good or bad, just saying thats what Reds Official Site says they want.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm probably the lone Reds fan ok with keeping Phillips till he retires as a Red. Maybe it's just me, but I like BP and fine we have a young up and comer, but PB has earned his spot over the years.    
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote