Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds trade Jay Bruce to Mets for Dilson Herrera
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/8/1/12268968/jay-bruce-trade-reds-mets-brandon-nimmo

And a few other prospects I suppose.

I looked and Brandon Nimmo was apparently the Mets #5 overall prospect.

I didn't see him on any top 100 prospect lists though, so I'm kind of annoyed with this trade. You'd think the NL RBI Leader with an extra year on a relatively team friendly deal would net at least one premium prospect.

We'll see how this shakes out.

Nimmo, by all accounts, is a decent prospect. Hits for average, currently batting .336 in AAA. Not much power but has shown potential in batting practice (similar to what they say about Nick Senzel).

He plays in the OF, so he will likely slot right into Jay's spot in a month or so.

Overall, not thrilled with this trade but it seems like we sold high on Jay. I feel kind of bad for the Mets because I would definitely not have traded for such a streaky player.

Especially since Jay has been on a high all month, he's destined to bottom out in August.

We'll see though.

Good to see the Reds trying to make moves. Just wish we could have gotten a premium prospect for Bruce.

EDIT:
Actually, the centerpiece was Dilson Herrera. I like this trade better. See the posts below for a bit of information on him.
Reply/Quote
I hate this. Seems like a really stupid move.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
MLB network is saying the deal might have a snag in it. Espn is reporting the same now

---The Mets were on the verge of acquiring Reds outfielder Jay Bruce, according to a person with knowledge of the deal, for a haul centering on outfielder Brandon Nimmo and two other prospects. But ESPN reported that an issue with Nimmo's foot may be holding up the trade.---
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 02:57 PM)Goalpost Wrote: MLB network is saying the deal might have a snag in it.  Espn is reporting the same now

---The Mets were on the verge of acquiring Reds outfielder Jay Bruce, according to a person with knowledge of the deal, for a haul centering on outfielder Brandon Nimmo and two other prospects. But ESPN reported that an issue with Nimmo's foot may be holding up the trade.---

That's good, because I'm not thrilled with Nimmo as a prospect. But now I fear we won't have time to get a trade done with another team, as the deadline is in less than 2 hours. We need to trade Bruce when his value is high. If he don't trade him now, he'll bottom out in August and September and be worthless in the winter.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 03:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's good, because I'm not thrilled with Nimmo as a prospect. But now I fear we won't have time to get a trade done with another team, as the deadline is in less than 2 hours. We need to trade Bruce when his value is high. If he don't trade him now, he'll bottom out in August and September and be worthless in the winter.

MLB Network reported when the trade was going down, that both the Dodgers and Giants tried to contact the Reds with final offers but the Reds did not pick up the phone.  If this trade falls apart, the Reds will look foolish.  I still kind of think this trade will go thru though.  
Reply/Quote
This deal is probably done. The injured player in question was one of the two minor leaguers. Seems like both teams can fix this.

I wish Bruce well. He wanted to play for a contender again
Reply/Quote
Well, well....

Now being reported that Nimmo is not in the deal at all.

Reds are getting 22 year old second baseman Dilson Herrera and 19 year old lefty pitcher Max Wotell
Reply/Quote
A steal getting Herrera. Great bat and great in the field. Should be a nice replacement for BP with Peraza moving to SS. The future lineup is going to have some serious speed between Hamilton, Peraza and Herrera.
Reply/Quote
Would like to see him get a ring but I'll be damned if I'll root for the Mets.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 06:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: A steal getting Herrera. Great bat and great in the field. Should be a nice replacement for BP with Peraza moving to SS. The future lineup is going to have some serious speed between Hamilton, Peraza and Herrera.
It seems like they really traded up on that one.

How did they land Herrera? He was going to be the Mets 2nd baseman of the future.

It is a little odd that he isn't on any top 100 prospect lists though.

I guess he isn't really considered a prospect anymore?

Either way, he seems to have the physical tools to be a very good ball player (as opposed to what Nimmo appeared to be, which was a 4th or 5th outfielder.)
Reply/Quote
Pretty favorable scouting report on him:
https://gradingonthecurve.com/2015/04/28/what-is-dilson-herrera-mets-prospects-ceiling/

His ceiling appears to be Daniel Murphy esque. Not a bad deal for a player who wasn't going to help us this season or next anyway.

If he an replace Brandon and be a .280 to .300 hitter with 10 HR, 20 SB and average fielding during the prime of his career, I'd say we have a very good #2 hitter coming out of this trade. Winker can come up to replace Bruce in September and, hopefully, we'll be a better team overall next year because of this trade.

The pitching prospect we got doesn't seem bad either. He likely profiles as a relief pitcher unless he can develop his repertoire though. But he's young, tall and strong. I could see him in a clutch reliever role in half a decade.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 10:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Pretty favorable scouting report on him:
https://gradingonthecurve.com/2015/04/28/what-is-dilson-herrera-mets-prospects-ceiling/

His ceiling appears to be Daniel Murphy esque. Not a bad deal for a player who wasn't going to help us this season or next anyway.

If he an replace Brandon and be a .280 to .300 hitter with 10 HR, 20 SB and average fielding during the prime of his career, I'd say we have a very good #2 hitter coming out of this trade. Winker can come up to replace Bruce in September and, hopefully, we'll be a better team overall next year because of this trade.

The pitching prospect we got doesn't seem bad either. He likely profiles as a relief pitcher unless he can develop his repertoire though. But he's young, tall and strong. I could see him in a clutch reliever role in half a decade.

Half a decade?  Gee, that sounds promising..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2016, 10:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Half a decade?  Gee, that sounds promising..

Well that's the annoying thing about baseball. With these 18 and 19 year old prospects, you're not going to see them for a long time unless they are a transcendent talent.

Scouting is way more interesting in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Reds listing it as trading Jay Bruce for Dilson Herrera and Max Wotell......not seeing Nimmo listed.......So there goes Bruce and I'm not going to get all that excited over what the Mets traded us just yet. The Reds have been getting burned on trades, so to me this is like when fans got excited over Wayne Krenchicki and Max Venable...........On ESPN internet is a video of Jim Bowden saying winners and losers at trade deadline....He loves Cubs getting Chapman and Mets getting Bruce and moves Cardinals, Giants made and likes Cardinals not over reacting....but He says Phillies, Rockies and Reds losers, saying Reds got quantity but not quality....I'm noticing most baseball sites feel the Reds GM has been losing on deals the last 3 years, and looking at Reds in last place, it's hard to argue that. I fail to see the upcoming great pitchers in the system we keep hearing all the hype over. There may be one or two upcoming pitchers, but mostly I see one awful pitching staff. Did we have so much hitting we could trade Frazier and Bruce, especially with Mesoraco very, injured and doctors have question his return to catching last 2 years. No pitching and trading away our bats sounds like last place payroll dumping. Is Castallini close to selling ??? Sadly I see Pete Rose Statue Day as highlight of 2017 season unless Reds have big off season plans.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I wonder who plays rf for the next month? Perhaps Peraza, with Tyler Holt seeing some pt also.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2016, 08:49 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I wonder who plays rf for the next month?  Perhaps Peraza, with Tyler Holt seeing some pt also.

Word is Duvall shifts to RF and Schebler is getting called back to take over LF.
Reply/Quote