Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Redskin Game stock uo and down
Hopkins was dreadful at center.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t remember seeing WJ3 out there at all, and he’s not showing up in any box scores...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401128161

I thought I saw 22 out there at one point. I know they were up in the air about playing him, and I'm guessing if he did play it was the same situation as Eifert, Mixon, and Bernard... just in and out.
Reply/Quote
Anyone else notice Shrek's nice catch and run, the play before Sample's TD? Shrek looked like a bull in a china shop, running people over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t remember seeing WJ3 out there at all, and he’s not showing up in any box scores...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401128161

He played. He was chasing Peterson on that big run.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4dT4NLBwk

Around the 1:22 mark he comes in.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone else notice Shrek's nice catch and run, the play before Sample's TD?  Shrek looked like a bull in a china shop, running people over.

Yes I did, I posted a Shrek in beast mode in game day thread.
Reply/Quote
It was a bad night for Dalton and the first string Offense.

But folks claimed last weeks game was a bad night for Dalton when he went 7-9 for 80 yards. So clearly the guy can't win either way. But for Bengals fans, that's why you appreciate the Dalton that showed up last week instead of slamming that Dalton as well.

Stock up
Ellis
Willis's
Finley
Pratt
Defense
Simmons
Sample
Jordan Brown

Stock Down
Run blocking
Malone
Shawn Williams
Webb (was always trailing his receivers).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:25 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Shawn Williams is having a pretty bad preseason. Burnt by Kelce, missed a tackle on AP, gave up a big play to Vernon Davis... 

Is he #41??? If yes, he needs to be cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:21 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:
If Ross can't get his ass on the field,
i can see them IR designating him so they can keep Willis on the roster and put Morgan on the PS. 

It's kinda like Andrew LUCK, great QB, but has been injury prone what, the last 4 yrs or so? their team has been in the pit since they still rely on the guy but he rarely plays now. At least he's verified good when he can play.  Eifert would fit this mold.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:42 AM)Joelist Wrote: The only reason I can think of why anyone has Hopkins on an up list is they got mixed up on who was playing on which series - Hopkins was in with the ones and looked absolutely horrible. Price came in when Finley did and instantly the interior blocking improved massively.

It was the QB that made the difference, not the center. Dalton & Finley didn't get sacked I think. I did miss some of Andy's first series though.

Finley looked as composed and on target through out the game.  A replica of Brady, short but accurate passes. Where he throws they catch. Credit goes to the receivers who were also able to catch some bad throws, including the Tate TD that was thrown behind him by Finley.

I saw his college video and wasn't impressed. Last night he was impressive, as well as the 1st PS game. I hope he starts game 3. Let's see what he can do.  I would like Zac to have EVERYONE compete for their job. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:26 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He played. He was chasing Peterson on that big run.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4dT4NLBwk

Around the 1:22 mark he comes in.

Ah, my mistake then.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone else notice Shrek's nice catch and run, the play before Sample's TD? Shrek looked like a bull in a china shop, running people over.

Yep. Liked that.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:32 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Is he #41??? If yes, he needs to be cut.

That was Trayvon Henderson that got burned on theTD from Haskins.

They’re not cutting Shawn Williams lol

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: It was a bad night for Dalton and the first string Offense.

But folks claimed last weeks game was a bad night for Dalton when he went 7-9 for 80 yards. So clearly the guy can't win either way. But for Bengals fans, that's why you appreciate the Dalton that showed up last week instead of slamming that Dalton as well.

Stock up
Ellis
Willis's
Finley
Pratt
Defense
Simmons
Sample
Jordan Brown

Stock Down
Run blocking
Malone
Shawn Williams
Webb (was always trailing his receivers).

Two quick things on your post...

1: Why can't you look at statistics AND watch the game to verify how a guy played? Stats aren't everything. You know that and so do most other people. But, you're a fan, soooooo. Anyway, a Qb going into his 9th starting season missed a wide open, easy throw for a TD. THAT is a problem in the larger scope of winning games, regardless of his other stats. The big plays need made consistently to win big. Leading to point #2....

2: Isn't that the problem with Dalton? Consistency? The only thing consistent about him is that he's inconsistent. 1st week was good (according to you, who, apparently only looks at stat lines and doesn't watch the games), 2nd week was trash. THIS is the problem. To win a Superbowl Andy Dalton has to be very very good to great over a long season and a string of games. HE CANNOT DO THAT. 

AD is the MArvin of QBs to this fan base. How many years do you need to see the same results to finally get it through your thick skulls he isn't good enough to go past where he's been? Is it year 10, 11, 12, 13, or 14 that AD finally gets consistent? Is that the hope here? My goodness. 2015 was lightening in a bottle. An anomaly. How can fans not accept that and move on?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:21 AM)PDub80 Wrote: - I agree AD leaving right now is totally unrealistic. I just hope they allow #5 to develop and give serious consideration to letting AD walk or trade after this season or when his extension is coming up. If Finley looks like this now, what would he turn into with reps and experience? My point is that at this stage and with the 2011 crew, I've seen it and it isn't going to the Superbowl, so why not move on if #5 shows such moxie and promise and skill? The Patriots did it with their big $, high profile QB (Bledsoe) and I hope the Bengals have the same foresight. But, lets come back to reality here for a minute. lol 

It is for several reasons.

(08-16-2019, 08:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's only preseason, I get it, but I am impressed with Ryan Finley. Especially when you look at his preseason tape so far compared to Haskins and Murray. What is impressive, and why Finley will make it in the NFL, is how he handles pressure. He steps into the pocket and he can slide. One play he dipped his shoulder to avoid the pressure then slid up before hitting a WR 10+ yards down field. Last week he had to throw hot because there was an unblocked blitzer coming and he got it out quick to the HB for solid gain. Being able to recognize and deal with pressure is what separates guys who can play in the NFL and those who can't.

He reminds me of Kirk Cousins a bit. Takes the check downs but can wow you with some nice throws at times. He isn't challenging for a starting spot this year, however in a year or two I think he has a shot if he stays on this trajectory.

I'm very impressed with Finley's pocket presence as well ! The way he steps up in the pocket, manipulates the pocket, sidesteps rushers, keeps his eyes down field. And that's something that mostly can't be taught, you either have that built in moxy ? not sure how to define it or you don't. 

It's way early I get it but he's passing the eye test with flying colors thus far. I'm not anointing him the 2nd coming of Joe Montana just yet, we need to see way more, some deeper throws for one. But he's looking like he just may have "it". Of the guys above his rating 102.4 the bulk are either starters or have half or less of his attempts/yards. 3 TD's and a 75% completion rate on 44 attempts.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: According to PFF he was. I know we pick and choose when that’s relevant here, but I agree with them on that one. He was good last year.

Not attacking your post but I honestly have now idea how pff works lol or if it’s accurate at assessing good football players. Every time we talk about a player on our defense there studs according to PFF. You would think we had the 85 Bears defense last season even tho they were good awful. Billings is a good NT, Vigil who I think is way overrated had a ton of tackles for loss and was rated a top outside backer, Kirkpatrick rated out as one of the best cb’s. Dennard rated out good in the slot. Williams was good, Hubbard had 6 sacks. Preston Browns is a stud when healthy. Then you actually have guys like Bates, Jackson III , Lawson, Geno and Dunlap who are actually good and very talented in my opinion based of my eye test not PFF. Does PFF take in account what a players assignment should be and if it’s executed ?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:50 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Two quick things on your post...

1: Why can't you look at statistics AND watch the game to verify how a guy played? Stats aren't everything. You know that and so do most other people. But, you're a fan, soooooo. Anyway, a Qb going into his 9th starting season missed a wide open, easy throw for a TD. THAT is a problem in the larger scope of winning games, regardless of his other stats. The big plays need made consistently to win big. Leading to point #2....

2: Isn't that the problem with Dalton? Consistency? The only thing consistent about him is that he's inconsistent. 1st week was good (according to you, who, apparently only looks at stat lines and doesn't watch the games), 2nd week was trash. THIS is the problem. To win a Superbowl Andy Dalton has to be very very good to great over a long season and a string of games. HE CANNOT DO THAT. 

AD is the MArvin of QBs to this fan base. How many years do you need to see the same results to finally get it through your thick skulls he isn't good enough to go past where he's been? Is it year 10, 11, 12, 13, or 14 that AD finally gets consistent? Is that the hope here? My goodness. 2015 was lightening in a bottle. An anomaly. How can fans not accept that and move on?

Agree with all of this. Your first point coupled with Dalton missing Eifert for an easy TD on the first drive last night, which like 3 plays later resulted in a pick 6, is why looking at stat lines is stupid. Throughout his career Dalton has continued to not be able to make the necessary throws to finish drives. Obviously he's a good QB and can score us points but time and time again drives stall or end up taking another 5 plays because he missed the TD throw. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Williams has sucked for years. He reacts too late and is usually a step or two behind almost every play. His crappy play flips the field for the other team once or twice a game. Most of his INTs last year were tipped passes and since the guy he was covering was wide open, he had no one near him to fight for the ball.

When Reggie Nelson left and the Bengals made a bad play on defense, you saw Pacman losing his mind after the play and Williams walking back to the huddle with his head down A LOT.

But he did intercept Ben Worthlesswigger a few years ago so some people will always think he's awesome, I guess.

No they weren't.

Hell, the Ben pick last year, was him cutting in front of the receiver and making an awesome play.

He was one of the 3 best players on D last year and that's a fact.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:38 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: It's pre season for officials too. listening on radio we were  gifted a bs opi. if not called we may have lost

They reviewed it and upheld it?????

The interesting part was the receiver pushed off prior to coming out hos break 5 yards earlier. So when ball arrived, nothing close to PI on anyone. It liken it to a defender checking a receiver after 5 yards, but in this case the receiver committed the infraction and why it was upheld in my opinion. The receiver did push off and was caught.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:14 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No they weren't.

Hell, the Ben pick last year, was him cutting in front of the receiver and making an awesome play.

He was one of the 3 best players on D last year and that's a fact.

He used the word “most” and you counter with “one” play you didn’t help your cause. Williams was solid last year but he’s definitely upgradable. He’s off to a rocky start so far, he better pick it up.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 01:14 AM)PDub80 Wrote: No, and I didn't say that nor imply it. I will say that I feel like the best chance for the Bengals to make a deep playoff run and possibly a Superbowl appearance in the next 3-7 years is to dump Dalton now and begin the development of Ryan Finley. At the very least, IF... IF Finley continues to lead drives like this and complete this high a % of his passes, etc. they should consider this perhaps being AD's last season in Cincy.

- The Bengals aren't good enough to make the playoffs THIS season with such a young staff AND Andy Dalton behind center. So, why waste Finley's development time?

- Lets pretend Doctor Strange shows up and magically allows the Bengals to make the playoffs.... They're still going NOWHERE past the first round with Dalton as their QB. So, who the F cares about another 1 and done playoff season? Like I said: I've seen that movie before. It's time to change the channel and aim higher. If anyone honestly believes that the Bengals have a shot at a Superbowl run with AD behind center after seeing the teams who are up and coming, I feel terribly terribly sorry for them.

- Moving on from Dalton now would allow the Bengals to take the $ AD's making - or will want in an extension in the near future- and invest that in the O Line and Defense as well as resign AJ Green, who would help a young QB like Finley immensely.

Being 100% serious, if Ryan Finley continues to play like this in week 3 & 4 and they resign AD, I'll be floored. Even on the cheap, they need to rip this bandaid off and take the time to get better at the QB position. Finley looks like he has a ton to work with, which is exciting. And, as a fan and club season ticket holder (my money is where my mouth is), I'm ready to stand by for a lumpy year or two while they actually try to improve. Andy Dalton is clearly... CLEARLY not on an upswing or getting better. We've seen his best, 4 seasons ago and it's been downhill since.

Fair enough, now we know your goal is for the team to lose in 2019 and work on future development which is fine.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote