Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduce The 3 and Outs . Increase number of 1st Downs
We as Fans really don't know what the assigned blocking play is and who is doing what on blocking. We and the announcers can guess. There is one way though. Count the number of 3 and outs. Good teams have few of those. I'm old enough to remember Lombardi Packers in preseason and they were like a machine up and down the field. I don't expect that out of Bengals trying to rebuild, but I would like to see the offense move the chains more than last few years. If they do that, I will know somebody must be blocking. That's what I will be looking for in preseason training camp games, are they moving the chains OR do they have to punt the ball right back. I would like to see them go through games with no 3 and outs, meaning they moved the chains each time on offense. The Defense will be better if this team can cut down on the 3 and outs also.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 12:47 AM)kevin Wrote: We as Fans really don't know what the assigned blocking play is and who is doing what on blocking.  We and the announcers can guess.   There is one way though.  Count the number of 3 and outs.  Good teams have few of those.  I'm old enough to remember Lombardi Packers in preseason and they were like a machine up and down the field.  I don't expect that out of Bengals trying to rebuild, but I would like to see the offense move the chains more than last few years.  If they do that, I will know somebody must be blocking.  That's what I will be looking for in preseason training camp games, are they moving the chains OR do they have to punt the ball right back.  I would like to see them go through games with no 3 and outs, meaning they moved the chains each time on offense.  The Defense will be better if this team can cut down on the 3 and outs also.

I agree. I'd like to add that if we could average about 70 points a game, it takes pressure off of the defense too. I think we make the playoffs if our offense can produce at that level. Maybe even 63 ppg would get us to the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Well I just saw on NFLN that Offensive Holding will be more strictly enforced by officials this year. So.....With THIS O-Line.....I see a lot of 3 and outs coming. I’m looking at you Hart!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:51 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Well I just saw on NFLN that Offensive Holding will be more strictly enforced by officials this year. So.....With THIS O-Line.....I see a lot of 3 and outs coming. I’m looking at you Hart!

If this is true, we might just finally beat Steelers,, they hold more than any team game to game.. Woo Hoo :andy:
Reply/Quote
Let's go all CFL on them and 2 and oot!
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:08 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If this is true, we might just finally beat Steelers,, they hold more than any team game to game.. Woo Hoo :andy:

It will be enforced more strictly on us. Against them...they'll get away with it.
Reply/Quote
The Marvin Lewis era Bengals frequently operated with the mindset that if they didn't pick up any yards on 1st down (run or pass), they'd very likely run on 2nd down to have a shorter 3rd down attempt. This often led to their offense being more predictable and forcing the team into many 3rd down attempts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:08 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If this is true, we might just finally beat Steelers,, they hold more than any team game to game.. Woo Hoo :andy:

The Steelers have been granted an exemption.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:51 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Well I just saw on NFLN that Offensive Holding will be more strictly enforced by officials this year. So.....With THIS O-Line.....I see a lot of 3 and outs coming. I’m looking at you Hart!

If that's the case, then our defense will benefit greatly as a result.  I don't have any statistical data to back it up, but it seemed like I found myself complaining about our DL getting held much more often than it was ever called.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that's the case, then our defense will benefit greatly as a result.  I don't have any statistical data to back it up, but it seemed like I found myself complaining about our DL getting held much more often than it was ever called.

I can remember several times over the last few seasons where I've felt Geno and other interior rushers were held and held badly and it wasn't called. I think the Refs have a "let em play" attitude about the interior linemen whether it's intentional or not and they flag the outside stuff quicker, it's more open and obvious. 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that's the case, then our defense will benefit greatly as a result.  I don't have any statistical data to back it up, but it seemed like I found myself complaining about our DL getting held much more often than it was ever called.

This will probably mean, if in enforced, that De Castro won't be making the pro-bowl anymore  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:29 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree. I'd like to add that if we could average about 70 points a game, it takes pressure off of the defense too. I think we make the playoffs if our offense can produce at that level. Maybe even 63 ppg would get us to the playoffs.

I think you're both on some witchcraft shit.

Less 3 and outs means more first downs...70 pts per will win more games.

That's crazy talk, man.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'll add that Bengals need to cut back on stupid penalties. The offense is one of worst in NFL for putting themselves in 2nd and 15 or 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 30 all because they can't snap the ball without making a penalty. Paul Brown did not put up with that and many games his team never had penalties. That was one flaw to Coach Lewis was this team made stupid penalty after stupid penalty under him. Cutting down on all the dumb penalties is a must. The new coach will find that is the problem with that lineman we got from the Giants, Bobby Hart. He makes too many penalties to play him. He either needs to get smarter or get gone, because he is a stupid player. They need to be a little more Paul Brown on cutting down on the penalties. If you can't even snap the ball without flags being thrown, that is poor coaching and stupid players. Bengals must lead the NFL in penalties on snap of the ball. They can't even snap the ball. New coaches have their work cut out, but it is something they can fix and coach up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think you're both on some witchcraft shit.

Less 3 and outs means more first downs...70 pts per will win more games.

That's crazy talk, man.

If we can hold our opponents to under 200 points all season in 16 games that will win a lot too.

70 x 16 = 1,120 points on offense

Then defense = 200/16 = 12.5 ppg. So a TD and 2 FG's.
Reply/Quote
One of the FG's would have to be worth 2.5 points though not 3.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If we can hold our opponents to under 200 points all season in 16 games that will win a lot too.

70 x 16 = 1,120 points on offense

Then defense = 200/16 = 12.5 ppg. So a TD and 2 FG's.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that point differential could result in a winning record. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 10:29 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree. I'd like to add that if we could average about 70 points a game, it takes pressure off of the defense too. I think we make the playoffs if our offense can produce at that level. Maybe even 63 ppg would get us to the playoffs.

We don't need to score that many points. We just need our defense to give up 0 yards and 0 points and, at worst, we'll tie the other team.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 01:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: We don't need to score that many points. We just need our defense to give up 0 yards and 0 points and, at worst, we'll tie the other team.  Ninja

I feel like ZT would run up the score. Say we were up 63-0 and our defense was holding a team to 0 points and 0 yards. I think ZT onside kicks so we can score again.

He also probably passes and doesn't just run it every play. Unless the run is why we are winning 63-0. Then he passes to show he's unpredictable.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2019, 02:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like ZT would run up the score. Say we were up 63-0 and our defense was holding a team to 0 points and 0 yards. I think ZT onside kicks so we can score again.

He also probably passes and doesn't just run it every play. Unless the run is why we are winning 63-0. Then he passes to show he's unpredictable.

In all seriousness, I just hope ZT doesn't become as predictable as our OCs under ML became. It's sad that whether it was Bratkowski, Gruden, Jackson, Zampese, or Lazor, our offense was always predictable to some degree.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

If they average 70 points per game the last thing we'll need to worry about is blocking unless the other side is averaging 71..in which case the defense is non-existent on both sides...period.  I don't see it happening though..  Call me a skeptic, but 70 ppg ain't happening unless they switch to basketball instead of football..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote