Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ref from last weeks game was coach's brother?
Has anyone else heard this rumor? I have now heard from two different people that one of the refs from the Steelers/Bengals game last week was a brother of one of the assistant coach's on Pittsburgh's team.

If true, that is absolutely ridiculous.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Has anyone else heard this rumor? I have now heard from two different people that one of the refs from the Steelers/Bengals game last week was a brother of one of the assistant coach's on Pittsburgh's team.

The NFL can't be that stupid.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Can you imagine if it was the coach that threw the flag on Jones?

Ooooooooh man, this better be a baseless rumor.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The rumor is that it was the brother of the former linebackers coach of the steelers, who coached jury purter
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Has anyone else heard this rumor? I have now heard from two different people that one of the refs from the Steelers/Bengals game last week was a brother of one of the assistant coach's on Pittsburgh's team.

I think I heard it was Ray Horton's brother who threw the flag on Adam Jones. Ray Horton was a Steelers coach for 3 years when Joey Porter was a Steelers player and the Arizona DC for 1 year when Joey Porter was an Arizona player.

I think I also heard there was also a referee on the crew who is actually a Pittsburgh native.

At least that's some of the stuff I have heard, but from fans, not any media outlet, so I wasn't sure how much stock to put into it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think I heard it was Ray Horton's brother who threw the flag on Adam Jones. Ray Horton was a Steelers coach for 3 years when Joey Porter was a Steelers player and the Arizona DC for 1 year when Joey Porter was an Arizona player.

I think I also heard there was also a referee on the crew who is actually a Pittsburgh native.

At least that's some of the stuff I have heard, but from fans, not any media outlet, so I wasn't sure how much stock to put into it.

I haven't heard the media bring up anything about it. Like I said, this is just from fans. 

It sounds like there is at least a little substance to this though. Ridiculous. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think I heard it was Ray Horton's brother who threw the flag on Adam Jones. Ray Horton was a Steelers coach for 3 years when Joey Porter was a Steelers player and the Arizona DC for 1 year when Joey Porter was an Arizona player.

Yeah, the field judge Buddy Horton, is Ray Horton's brother.
Reply/Quote
Lapham said the ref that threw the flag on Pacman is the brother of Ray Horton. That same ref threw the flag for the DPI on AJ Green in the 4th quarter right before the Bengals 1st touchdown.

Nothing to see here.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
To be fair, Ray Horton has pretty deep Bengal ties.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To be fair, Ray Horton has pretty deep Bengal ties.

Pretty deep and more recent Joey Porter ties, though. He coached on two teams Porter played on, both well after being with the Bengals. Plus he probably has a bit closer ties to the team he got a SB ring with in '05.

Not sure I buy the proper conspiracy angle, but it does cause you to continue to wonder why the NFL chose the same crappy officiating crew from the previous game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yeah... because Ray Horton doesn't have ties to the Bengals...

Edit: Dammit, late.

Edit 2: Not saying there's no ties to Porter either, my point is that it's pretty grasping.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To be fair, Ray Horton has pretty deep Bengal ties.

Yep. 
Reply/Quote
Digging deep on this but maybe there's something to it. Will the nfl investigate this?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty deep and more recent Joey Porter ties, though. He coached on two teams Porter played on, both well after being with the Bengals. Plus he probably has a bit closer ties to the team he got a SB ring with in '05.

Not sure I buy the proper conspiracy angle, but it does cause you to continue to wonder why the NFL chose the same crappy officiating crew from the previous game.

Yeah, the Horton thing is just silly, IMO.

Hell, one of the officials, Pellis I think, is from/went to college in PA. That would make for a better conspiracy theory at least.   Nervous

Honestly though, I just think it's more of the case that today's NFL officiating just flat out sucks. And, it's not like it's just a couple of crews. You can pretty much turn on any game during the season, regardless of who's playing, and see head scratching calls, non calls, etc. At least instant replay provides some remedy on reviewable plays, some of the time. Can you imagine if there was no replay at all with the way the officiating currently is? Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 07:57 PM)Run through the jungle Wrote: Digging deep on this but maybe there's something to it. Will the nfl investigate this?

No, because they know who their referees are and they assign them.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hilarious.

More bengals conspiracys.

Reffs, League, Media. Hahah
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 08:11 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Hilarious.

More bengals conspiracys.

Reffs, League, Media.  Hahah

Welcome to my ignore list.
Reply/Quote
I don't know how to play a Horton angle. What bugs me about the refs was that they were disastrous in the regular season game, and got rewarded with the chance to suck again in rubber match.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 08:35 PM)Earendil Wrote: Welcome to my ignore list.

How she's not been banned is beyond me. Especially knowing that all the mods here have sense. 
Reply/Quote

To be really fair the refs should not have ties to either team. 

Would just think that would obviously be a rule for every game. There are plenty of refs. 

Not saying this had any bearing on the biased officiating. Just saying it is absurd. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote