Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refs did it again
I turned the game off early yesterday for a couple of reasons, and I believe it's the first time that I've done so in the entire time that I've been a Bengals fan.

The calls were bad, and remain inconsistent week to week, and game to game. The refs are just too damned prominent in the game, and have decided far too many outcomes for comfort. (The main reason the NFL is dropping in ratings)

The Bengals were massively undisciplined. When they weren't getting bad calls, they were committing bad penalties. It's been a common problem since Marvin Lewis has been the coach, and it's only getting worse. He should not have a job today. He does though, and will continue to.....maybe even beyond this year, which is sickening.

The game got violent. Not just undisciplined, but criminal. I don't particularly care for that....from either side. I know that football is a barbaric, violent sport by nature, but when it gets personally violent, I'm no longer entertained.

My interest in football has been diminishing in recent years. I almost don't want to even watch these games anymore.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:03 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I turned the game off early yesterday for a couple of reasons, and I believe it's the first time that I've done so in the entire time that I've been a Bengals fan.

The calls were bad, and remain inconsistent week to week, and game to game.  The refs are just too damned prominent in the game, and have decided far too many outcomes for comfort. (The main reason the NFL is dropping in ratings)

The Bengals were massively undisciplined.  When they weren't getting bad calls, they were committing bad penalties.  It's been a common problem since Marvin Lewis has been the coach, and it's only getting worse.  He should not have a job today.  He does though, and will continue to.....maybe even beyond this year, which is sickening.

The game got violent.  Not just undisciplined, but criminal.  I don't particularly care for that....from either side.  I know that football is a barbaric, violent sport by nature, but when it gets personally violent, I'm no longer entertained.

My interest in football has been diminishing in recent years.  I almost don't want to even watch these games anymore.

Great post.  It is sad that something I used to enjoy so much (even when the Bengals were winning 4-5 games a year) and now I can't stand it.  Thank you, NFL, for ruining something that was once our national treasure.  I hope your head gets stuck while up your ass and you have to breath fart air forever.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 10:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....twice......how do you get that on the road?

I was livid with MJ starting at RDE.  On the other hand, they did some nice things on defense in the first half.....too bad those journalistic jargons got us in the end.

Yep, this one sealed the deal for me.  When they flagged Gio, I knew it was over.....whether we shot ourselves in the foot, or whether it would be more bad calls.  I went on to sleep, right then and there.  I'm glad I did.....got plenty of rest, and no raised BP! LMAO

You just summed me up for the rest of my life.  I will never care like I once did.  The NFL has driven it out of me with 100% certainty that these games are horribly biased in terms of the officiating.  I won't spend another dollar on the NFL.  I will enjoy games from home, and probably just read about the steeler games the next day, as their games have the most egregious bias.  Just isn't fun to watch a so-called competition when the outcomes are predetermined.  

Bring on college football!  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 10:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, this one sealed the deal for me.  When they flagged Gio, I knew it was over.....whether we shot ourselves in the foot, or whether it would be more bad calls.  I went on to sleep, right then and there.  I'm glad I did.....got plenty of rest, and no raised BP! LMAO

And BTW, that flag on Gio wasn't thrown until AJ caught the ball.  I am being 100% serious.  I saw it out of the corner of my eye and was like..."did he hit Andy late?".  Couldn't believe it.  Such horseshit.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:03 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I turned the game off early yesterday for a couple of reasons, and I believe it's the first time that I've done so in the entire time that I've been a Bengals fan.

The calls were bad, and remain inconsistent week to week, and game to game.  The refs are just too damned prominent in the game, and have decided far too many outcomes for comfort. (The main reason the NFL is dropping in ratings)

The Bengals were massively undisciplined.  When they weren't getting bad calls, they were committing bad penalties.  It's been a common problem since Marvin Lewis has been the coach, and it's only getting worse.  He should not have a job today.  He does though, and will continue to.....maybe even beyond this year, which is sickening.

The game got violent.  Not just undisciplined, but criminal.  I don't particularly care for that....from either side.  I know that football is a barbaric, violent sport by nature, but when it gets personally violent, I'm no longer entertained.

My interest in football has been diminishing in recent years.  I almost don't want to even watch these games anymore.

I hear ya.  The only point I'd add to this, is that I feel the officials are a lot more culpable in this than people realize......and it's not just against the Bengals.  The Stoolers are always chippy, cheap shotting, and spearing people.  The officials let it go on, and after a while, you have to protect yourself, and your pride.  You fight back.  This particular rivalry has gotten even nastier since the Bengals have decided at times to go on the offense with the questionable hits.  But hey.....if you're gonna let them do that shit to everyone in the league.....sooner or later, teams are gonna bite back.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And BTW, that flag on Gio wasn't thrown until AJ caught the ball.  I am being 100% serious.  I saw it out of the corner of my eye and was like..."did he hit Andy late?".  Couldn't believe it.  Such horseshit.  

I know it was......usually when a flag is thrown, the yellow box comes up immediately on the broadcast.....AJ had already given a fan the ball, and was about at the 5 yardline when the yellow box appeared.  Gruden was actually quite upset with the call, as was McDonough.  Now THAT'S saying something.....

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Great post.  It is sad that something I used to enjoy so much (even when the Bengals were winning 4-5 games a year) and now I can't stand it.  Thank you, NFL, for ruining something that was once our national treasure.  I hope your head gets stuck while up your ass and you have to breath fart air forever.  

I've always hated on people that post "I'm done with the NFL", or "I'm done with the Bengals" messages on here or other social media outlets because they're usually just over emotional dramatic responses.  I think this one is different though.  I don't blame people that have lost interest in this.

Like you said, I enjoyed the Bengals A LOT for a long time (enough to make 20,000ish message board posts about them over the years), and I even loved them when they were losers. 

It's not just losing anymore....the whole process of it makes me feel gross.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
Typically I think the blaming of the refs is completely overblown and unwarranted but good god this game was bad. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Almost all of the calls on Pitt were on punts or kickoffs where they didn't really matter. Most of the Bengals were either game breaking calls or calls that kept drives alive/killed drives. It was so pathetic I'm literally about done with this league. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:18 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I've always hated on people that post "I'm done with the NFL", or "I'm done with the Bengals" messages on here or other social media outlets because they're usually just over emotional dramatic responses.  I think this one is different though.  I don't blame people that have lost interest in this.

Like you said, I enjoyed the Bengals A LOT for a long time (enough to make 20,000ish message board posts about them over the years), and I even loved them when they were losers. 

It's not just losing anymore....the whole process of it makes me feel gross.

I didn't even watch the game last night.  I can piece together what happened with video and comments, but I made a choice I wasn't going to subject myself to it once again.  I sat in that stadium too many times being humiliated by the Steelers and feeling bad when I had zero control over it, and realizing the one guy who has control doesn't care.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: I hear ya.  The only point I'd add to this, is that I feel the officials are a lot more culpable in this than people realize......and it's not just against the Bengals.  The Stoolers are always chippy, cheap shotting, and spearing people.  The officials let it go on, and after a while, you have to protect yourself, and your pride.  You fight back.  This particular rivalry has gotten even nastier since the Bengals have decided at times to go on the offense with the questionable hits.  But hey.....if you're gonna let them do that shit to everyone in the league.....sooner or later, teams are gonna bite back.

Oh, I know.  The refs have been inconsistent with their game calling for quite a while. Maybe not to the point where they favor particular teams like a lot of people claim, but certainly to the point where you don't really know what you're going to get away with when the game starts.  I feel that the rules are not enforced evenly from game to game and it's frustrating.  It gets even worse when the rule enforcement doesn't seem to be consistent from play to play.  Calling PI on one team for incidental contact, then not calling it on the other team in the next drive for something much more blatant isn't going to get a lot of people on your side.

What is a referee salary?  Maybe they need to pay these dudes better, and give them the boot when they frequently allow games to get out of hand like they did last night.  That would be incentive to do your job a little better.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And BTW, that flag on Gio wasn't thrown until AJ caught the ball.  I am being 100% serious.  I saw it out of the corner of my eye and was like..."did he hit Andy late?".  Couldn't believe it.  Such horseshit.  

The Bengals management- if they had any guts- would send this tape to league office and threaten a lawsuit.

The ref clearly threw the flag after he say the pass completion. He was not going to call a hold if the pass had been incomplete.

I have been saying this for years but the NFL officials are the worst by far in all professional sports, they decide games every week, there is no consistency in what constitutes a "hold" or "pass interference", or a "catch", and they leave themselves wide open to claims of bias.

NFL equals pro wrestling at this point in time.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:32 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Oh, I know.  The refs have been inconsistent with their game calling for quite a while. Maybe not to the point where they favor particular teams like a lot of people claim, but certainly to the point where you don't really know what you're going to get away with when the game starts.  I feel that the rules are not enforced evenly from game to game and it's frustrating.  It gets even worse when the rule enforcement doesn't seem to be consistent from play to play.  Calling PI on one team for incidental contact, then not calling it on the other team in the next drive for something much more blatant isn't going to get a lot of people on your side.

What is a referee salary?  Maybe they need to pay these dudes better, and give them the boot when they frequently allow games to get out of hand like they did last night.  That would be incentive to do your job a little better.

I feel a lot of it is the fact that refereeing is a side job for these guys.  Make them full time employees.

Reply/Quote
Brian Tuohy has a site that even the biggest homers on the planet (those among you who still don't believe games are fixed) should read cover to cover.. No, don't merely glance at a few headlines, read the entire site and if you're still not convinced that the game is fixed there's simply no hope of convincing you that the Tooth Fairy isn't real..   
http://www.thefixisin.net
That number again ...
is http://www.thefixisin.net
But never let it be said that anyone ever involved in the sporting world could possibly be corrupted.. NO! That's impossible!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 11:59 AM)grampahol Wrote: Brian Tuohy has a site that even the biggest homers on the planet (those among you who still don't believe games are fixed) should read cover to cover.. No, don't merely glance at a few headlines, read the entire site and if you're still not convinced that the game is fixed there's simply no hope of convincing you that the Tooth Fairy isn't real..   
http://www.thefixisin.net
That number again ...
is http://www.thefixisin.net
But never let it be said that anyone ever involved in the sporting world could possibly be corrupted.. NO! That's impossible!  

You want people to read an entire website based around conspiracy theories?  

Pass on that insanity.
LFG  

Reply/Quote

Can someone get this on video?
Reply/Quote
You could see the writing on the wall early. Our 1st drive, Andy throws to AJ in the EZ and LBer runs into AJ trying to come across in front of DB. Should have been illegal contact there. Dalton throws a long pass to AJ again in the 2nd quarter in the EZ and the DB was all over AJ, no call. Aj got pissed about it. They throw the flag on Bodine on Mixon's good run off the right side, ticky tacky shit, yet on Steeler's last drive Bell basically runs the same play, DeCastro is holding Evans and nothing.... Not even going to say anything about Gio's call... Our last drive, Hilton is completely over the LOS and cause Gio to flinch. Why this wasn't called on them and not Gio is a mystery...

We did some stupid stuff and it hurt us for sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You could see the writing on the wall early. Our 1st drive, Andy throws to AJ in the EZ and LBer runs into AJ trying to come across in front of DB. Should have been illegal contact there. Dalton throws a long pass to AJ again in the 2nd quarter in the EZ and the DB was all over AJ, no call. Aj got pissed about it.  They throw the flag on Bodine on Mixon's good run off the right side, ticky tacky shit, yet on Steeler's last drive Bell basically runs the same play, DeCastro is holding Evans and nothing.... Not even going to say anything about Gio's call... Our last drive, Hilton is completely over the LOS and cause Gio to flinch. Why this wasn't called on them and not Gio is a mystery...

I saw most of that as well.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You could see the writing on the wall early. Our 1st drive, Andy throws to AJ in the EZ and LBer runs into AJ trying to come across in front of DB. Should have been illegal contact there. Dalton throws a long pass to AJ again in the 2nd quarter in the EZ and the DB was all over AJ, no call. Aj got pissed about it.  They throw the flag on Bodine on Mixon's good run off the right side, ticky tacky shit, yet on Steeler's last drive Bell basically runs the same play, DeCastro is holding Evans and nothing.... Not even going to say anything about Gio's call... Our last drive, Hilton is completely over the LOS and cause Gio to flinch. Why this wasn't called on them and not Gio is a mystery...

Nah, I watched the replay.  It was a good hold on Bodine's part, just a shame that it got seen by the refs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Our last drive, Hilton is completely over the LOS and cause Gio to flinch. Why this wasn't called on them and not Gio is a mystery.

Except IT'S NOT A MYSTERY.
THE NFL AND REFS ARE BIASED IN FAVOR OF CERTAIN TEAMS... PERIOD.
The sooner you accept this reality the better off you'll be.  I just laugh at the obviousness of it, anymore.
Reply/Quote

Not the refs

1) A Bengal watched a Steeler run past him for a touchdown. Why?

2) The Bengals let the the Steelahs. Score at the end of the first half with virtually no time left on the clock.

3) The Bengals committed a cheap shot on a touchdown pass that put them in a hole they could not get out of.

4) Their star receiver dropped an easy pass for a first down.

5) Marvin blew a 17 point lead at home against his arch rival.

And there you have it.
Reply/Quote