Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reggie Nelson signs 2 year deal with Raiders
(04-08-2016, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Actually Iloka was considered a FS coming out of college. He was just put at SS due to Reggie Nelson already playing FS.

I expect Williams to take a more traditional SS role and Iloka to move to Nelson's spot on the field.

Yeah, Iloka is not a one trick pony. He is a great cover Safety as well.

Calling him an in the box Safety is an insult IMO.
Reply/Quote
Iloka's contract is one of a SS not a coverage FS that the league cherishes. I don't think anyone has him as a free safety prototype. But he's a good safety so I'm not going to slam him. But rarely safety's of his size are viewed as FS's. Maybe in college, but we all know you can't project that in the pro's.

I don't see him racking up the INT's Reggie was good for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 03:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: Iloka's contract is one of a SS not a coverage FS that the league cherishes. I don't think anyone has him as a free safety prototype. But he's a good safety so I'm not going to slam him. But rarely safety's of his size are viewed as FS's. Maybe in college, but we all know you can't project that in the pro's.

I don't see him racking up the INT's Reggie was good for.

Sure sounds like you are slamming on Iloka to me.

I don't see Reggie racking up that many INT's this year either...
Reply/Quote
I'm def not slamming Iloka. He's never been known for his hands so he likely won't match Reggies INT numbers even in years past. All I'm saying is that he and Williams fit the SS prototype, better closer to the line, strong run defenders. Not the center fielder, ball hawking, roaming FS one. But it's fine to have differing opinions. We all hope Reggie isn't missed. But I'm not going to act like Reggie was useless now that he's gone either.

I remember how hard it was to find starting safety's. I def don't see Williams as a FS, so hopefully Iloka can fill that spot.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 05:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm def not slamming Iloka. He's never been known for his hands so he likely won't match Reggies INT numbers even in years past. All I'm saying is that he and Williams fit the SS mode, better closer to the line, strong run defenders. Not the center fielder, ball hawking, roaming FS mode. But it's fine to have differing opinions. We all hope Reggie isn't missed. But I'm not going to act like Reggie was useless now that he's gone either.

I remember how hard it was to find starting safety's.  I def don't see Williams as a FS, so hopefully Iloka can fill that spot.

Shawn from what i have seen has better hands than George, but lets not forget Reggie dropping like 3 ints last year.

Derron Smith is the one Safety on this team with GREAT hands. Better then Reggie, from what we seen in college and TC last year.

Reggie's hands are decent but he drops a few balls here and there.
Reply/Quote
It'll be interesting to keep an eye on Smith this offseason.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 09:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: It'll be interesting to keep an eye on Smith this offseason.

Yes it will.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2016, 09:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: It'll be interesting to keep an eye on Smith this offseason.

(04-09-2016, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes it will.

I'm intrigued as well. Hoping that he comes to play this season. Ball skills,ball skills, ball skills.....that's what she said.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Iloka played CB in college and has shown excellent cover skills in the NFL. He will be fine at FS.
Reply/Quote
So you think he'll make a good cb? I mean, he played it in college right?

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 11:03 AM)jj22 Wrote: So you think he'll make a good cb? I mean, he played it in college right?

Lame strawman.

But i guess that is all you got when you can't address what I actually said.
Reply/Quote
Strawman? You did bring up his play at cb.....

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2016, 10:22 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I'm intrigued as well. Hoping that he comes to play this season. Ball skills,ball skills, ball skills.....that's what she said.  Ninja

Cool

(04-13-2016, 11:03 AM)jj22 Wrote: So you think he'll make a good cb? I mean, he played it in college right?

Safeties that have played CB are usually better cover Corners. Pretty simple logic and Iloka is one of the best
cover Safeties in the league. Fred is right here, he should have no problem playing FS in Reggie's place.

Also it should be much tougher to throw over a FS that is 6'4".
Reply/Quote
Iloka is one of the best SS in the league. Center fielder, ball hawking safety (Reggie's role). Well we'll have to see. I like Iloka and hope you guys are right. I think he and Williams are much more alike then he and Reggie from a FS/SS standpoint.

If I had to choose Nelson or Iloka, I would choose Iloka, but I still think we were better prepared to lose Iloka with Williams in waiting then Reggie. But you guys clearly see it different.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 12:02 PM)jj22 Wrote: Strawman? You did bring up his play at cb.....

People who have a basic knowledge of football understand that playing CB is an indication of better cover skills.

Sorry, but I assumed you knew that.
Reply/Quote
So all players who played cb in college should be in the league right? I mean your saying it means they can cover. Just because you played a position in college doesn't mean you will fit or it translates in the NFL.

Sorry, but I assumed you knew that.

Plenty of cb in college aren't in the NFL. Aren't moved to FS. Why is that Fred? Per your theory they certainly should be.

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 11:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: So all players who played cb in college should be in the league right?

Wow, you really do need a lot of lessons in basic football.  

(04-14-2016, 11:50 AM)jj22 Wrote: Plenty of cb in college aren't in the NFL. Aren't moved to FS. Why is that Fred?

Because it takes a different skill set to play safety than it does to play CB.  Many college CBs are not big enough or do not have the tackling skills to play safety in the NFL.

You are welcome for the education.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2016, 11:18 AM)jj22 Wrote: Iloka is one of the best SS in the league. Center fielder, ball hawking safety (Reggie's role). Well we'll have to see. I like Iloka and hope you guys are right. I think he and Williams are much more alike then he and Reggie from a FS/SS standpoint.

If I had to choose Nelson or Iloka, I would choose Iloka, but I still think we were better prepared to lose Iloka with Williams in waiting then Reggie. But you guys clearly see it different.

With the age of Reggie and the fact he was missing some tackles last year that he normally makes,
i think we made the right decision.

The Interceptions might of covered up his tackling mishaps to lots of people. This could of been a
sign of age, not good. Iloka has even more range than Reggie and can cover just as good. His hands
might not be as good but Reggie dropped some ints last year too.

Bottom line is we got younger at Safety and have lots of talent there. It is not like Shawn is some
chump right out of college he has some experience and has looked good in that time. He can tackle
and cover and make interceptions, Shawn has shown this.
Reply/Quote
I'll missing have Reggie out there, but that happens.

Reply/Quote
I'll miss Reggie Nelson. He helped stabilize a position for us that was always a weakness. Hell prior to him coming here I'd say that our safety groups were among the worst of the NFL. 

Reply/Quote