Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff and Spain injury updates
Ok boys looking ahead it would be HUGE to get one or both of them back before the playoff game. We got 14 days so that's good. Spain was on a little scooter celebrating with the team but had no protection or anything on his foot so I gotta assume there's a chance he's got a sprain and can make it back.

Reiff I haven't heard much from. Any info would be appreciated.

*I made this thread for any updates going forward on these 2 important players.*

Cigar
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1478090174856941572?s=20

In case anyone needs a wake-up call to how important Spain is watch this play. Jesus looks almost identical to the play against Washington last year...

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Reiff is out...maybe there is a shot if they go deep in the playoffs but don't count on it

Spain has a sprained ankle. He will be out this weekend but should be back after that

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
With a #1 seed not very likely, sit out whoever could do with an extra week.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:48 PM)pally Wrote: Reiff is out...maybe there is a shot if they go deep in the playoffs but don't count on it

Spain has a sprained ankle.  He will be out this weekend but should be back after that

Good to hear on Spain, sucks to hear about Reiff.  You got sources for this info I can't find anything?

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: With a #1 seed not very likely, sit out whoever could do with an extra week.

I saw the Chiefs play on Saturday this weekend. If they win, we can't beat them out for the 1 seed and we should rest almost everyone against the Browns. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I saw the Chiefs play on Saturday this weekend. If they win, we can't beat them out for the 1 seed and we should rest almost everyone against the Browns. 

Oh that’s great that they are playing Saturday. Didn’t know that. If they do lose then you have to go all out. Titans are better than the Texans, but the Texans already beat them once.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I get resting guys, but really don’t want to have New England or Buffalo coming in here while also simultaneously sitting guys possibly letting them get rusty and out of sync. Much rather Ind/LV/LA coking in after a 4 game win streak. I get either way but man; I’ve seen us rest starters 09/05 neither one worked
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:51 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Good to hear on Spain, sucks to hear about Reiff.  You got sources for this info I can't find anything?

Zac provided an update on Spain during his press conference today

Jay Morrison reported the information on Reiff when asked about him...also today

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:00 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I get resting guys, but really don’t want to have New England or Buffalo coming in here while also simultaneously sitting guys possibly letting them get rusty and out of sync. Much rather Ind/LV/LA coking in after a 4 game win streak. I get either way but man; I’ve seen us rest starters 09/05 neither one worked

A couple things: 

1) Rest vs Rust  

We won 2 straight in blowout fashion after the bye week. At Raiders 32-13 and Pitt 41-10.  

Buffalo & NE are playing for the division title.  They cannot really rest anyone. Charges & Raiders have a play in game there, no rest for either. The Colts have the Jags, but a loss and they miss the POs.  

My point is, we have a chance to have a scenario where we are rested and our WC won't be. I think that is a huge edge, especially at home. 

2) The cost of Rest. 

If we lose to Cleveland, we likely slip to #4 (both Buff & NE will not lose). The only way the loss really would affect us is if: 

1) We end up playing the #3 seed in the AFC title game (Buff/NE), which we would have hosted if we'd have won and been #3. 

2) Either one or both of Tenn (at Houston) KC (at Denver) lose, and we could have moved up a spot ot two with a win. 

3) Saturday Sneak Peek

The Chiefs play Saturday, so we will know about if #1 is possible or not. If not  then we should rest or mostly rest guys. If they lose, then only banged up guys should rest, gotta go for it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:46 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1478090174856941572?s=20

In case anyone needs a wake-up call to how important Spain is watch this play.  Jesus looks almost identical to the play against Washington last year...

This team has to address this in the offseason. 

Can't sit in the draft and toss a few later selections at it and wait/hope for them to develop. Spent 3 picks this season and so far have zero return on that investment. Drafting guys next year means waiting for them to develop, have to spend the money in FA, there isn't a plug and play OL in the draft where the Bengals will be picking.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This team has to address this in the offseason. 

Can't sit in the draft and toss a few later selections at it and wait/hope for them to develop. Spent 3 picks this season and so far have zero return on that investment. Drafting guys next year means waiting for them to develop, have to spend the money in FA, there isn't a plug and play OL in the draft where the Bengals will be picking.

Carman will have another full offseason and training camp to work on his transition, and should be much better next year. That said, I want 2 OL free agents to come in here this off season on short term deals. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This team has to address this in the offseason. 

In a way the fact that Burrow is the most sacked QB in the NFL is a good thing (since hes managed to stay healthy).  Because it forces our ownership and front office to face reality instead of putting bandaids and half-assed solutions.  I want at least 2 big name FA signings and extend Spain and possibly Reiff although hes injured and on the wrong side of 30.  In addition, draft high quality OL.  We have no holes anywhere on the roster besides maybe corner but with Eli Apple playing solid it's not desperate like the OL is.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Carman will have another full offseason and training camp to work on his transition, and should be much better next year. That said, I want 2 OL free agents to come in here this off season on short term deals. 

I like Carman, and I hope the offseason does him wonders as he'll be further removed from the back injury. However that back injury is what worries me, watching him stand so upright and get pushed back makes me curious if his back will allow him to get down as low as needed to play inside at guard.

Don't have to be short term, get two legit OL and let guys develop behind them. Front load the contracts so if the young guys step up you can move on from the Vets without cap issues. Watching Thuney Sunday start at G then move to LT and just shut down the Bengals best pass rusher was so frustrating as he is the type of guy they needed to sign for this run. There is another chance to get it right this year with a few of the names out there, but you also have to make sure you get Spain back under contract. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:39 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: In a way the fact that Burrow is the most sacked QB in the NFL is a good thing (since hes managed to stay healthy).  Because it forces our ownership and front office to face reality instead of putting bandaids and half-assed solutions.  I want at least 2 big name FA signings and extend Spain and possibly Reiff although hes injured and on the wrong side of 30.  In addition, draft high quality OL.  We have no holes anywhere on the roster besides maybe corner but with Eli Apple playing solid it's not desperate like the OL is.

A knee surgery didn't force them to go big on the issue...why would a healthy season matter to them?

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:45 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: A knee surgery didn't force them to go big on the issue...why would a healthy season matter to them?

maybe too much wishful thinking but now that we have filled tons of other holes on the roster we can focus on the only major weakness.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:44 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I like Carman, and I hope the offseason does him wonders as he'll be further removed from the back injury. However that back injury is what worries me, watching him stand so upright and get pushed back makes me curious if his back will allow him to get down as low as needed to play inside at guard.

Don't have to be short term, get two legit OL and let guys develop behind them. Front load the contracts so if the young guys step up you can move on from the Vets without cap issues. Watching Thuney Sunday start at G then move to LT and just shut down the Bengals best pass rusher was so frustrating as he is the type of guy they needed to sign for this run. There is another chance to get it right this year with a few of the names out there, but you also have to make sure you get Spain back under contract. 

Yeah, I want FA's but I don't want them spending Thuney money on them. Re-sign Spain, and go get someone like him that may not be the top paid at the position, but can hold the line for a couple of years without breaking the bank. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I want FA's but I don't want them spending Thuney money on them. Re-sign Spain, and go get someone like him that may not be the top paid at the position, but can hold the line for a couple of years without breaking the bank. 

That's hard to do in the NFL today. OL is a position that pretty much all 32 NFL teams can use an upgrade at to some degree. Some not as serious as others, but if you want to get a quality guy that is going to hold down a spot at a high level for a few seasons, going to have to open up the check book a little. 

I found this chart back before the draft and it shows you the average yearly salary based on positions in FA:

https://overthecap.com/the-most-popular-positions-in-free-agency/

LT outranks everyone, even QB!

This is the list of positions in contract by year:

LT
RT
QB
CB
Edge
Center
IDL
Safety
Guard
WR
LB
TE
RB
K
FB
P
LS

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I want FA's but I don't want them spending Thuney money on them. Re-sign Spain, and go get someone like him that may not be the top paid at the position, but can hold the line for a couple of years without breaking the bank. 

Why are we worried about "breaking the bank"?  Break that ***** while we still got Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Logan on rookie deals.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:44 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I like Carman, and I hope the offseason does him wonders as he'll be further removed from the back injury. However that back injury is what worries me, watching him stand so upright and get pushed back makes me curious if his back will allow him to get down as low as needed to play inside at guard.

Just curious, what names are going to be out there in this off-season outside of Shereff?
Reply/Quote