Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reintroduction of the interrobang ‽
Most of you have probably never even heard of the interrobang (furthermore, probably don't care), but with this team it seems quite appropriate as in Are they F####### CRAZY ‽

The interrobang originally intended to convey a simple message of combining ! and ? 

From Wikipedia: 
Quote:Historically writers have used multiple punctuation marks to end a sentence expressing surprise and question.

Quote:What the...?! Neves, Called Dead in Fall, Denies It (headline from San Francisco Examiner, May 9, 1936)
Invention[edit]
American Martin K. Speckter (1915 – February 14, 1988)[6] conceptualized the interrobang in 1962. As the head of an advertising agency, Speckter believed that advertisements would look better if copywriters conveyed surprised rhetorical questions using a single mark. He proposed the concept of a single punctuation mark in an article in the magazine TYPEtalks.[7] Speckter solicited possible names for the new character from readers. Contenders included exclamaquestQuizDing,[8] rhet, and exclarotive, but he settled on interrobang. He chose the name to reference the punctuation marks that inspired it: interrogatio is Latin for "rhetorical question" or "cross-examination";[9] bang is printers' slang for the exclamation mark. Graphic treatments for the new mark were also submitted in response to the article.[10]
In the 60's some typewriters even had the intrrobang as one of their keys, but unfortunately it never really caught on, but still lives with an HTML line you can use to insert it into rhetorical questions and such.. &# and 8253 followed by a ; will give you the ubiquitous interrobang. Just click on the view source button when typing and insert it for ‽ 
Why on earth pay Hart 7 MILLION bucks ‽

Yeah, I know.. WHO CARES (you don't really have to press the view source key..just type it as a single line with no spaces & # 8253 ; )
Maybe the board administration can add an interrobang as an emoji. There are several out there available for download.  

You know..in retrospect the interrobang really doesn't convey a damned thing now does it? In my mind it seemed like a good idea for all of about 15 minutes and then....ehhhh..  Kind of like a Mike Brown speech.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The interrobang is okay, but I've never really been as in favor of it as I have been the use of punctuation such as the percontation point or irony mark--⸮--that has been proposed since the 16th century for rhetorical questions and ironic/sarcastic statements. Of course, there is also the SarcMark, which is a more recent attempt at providing a sarcasm specific bit of punctuation: https://www.sarcmark.com/

I like the older version. It's already in the Unicode, anyway, so let's make it easier to use and make it happen!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I know nothing about these things you gentlemen speak of. I come from the po side of the tracks. These fancy writing shenanigans would be like algebra to me. Heck, I don't know that either?!

Reply/Quote
not at all what I thought this thread was gonna be about
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 05:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I know nothing about these things you gentlemen speak of. I come from the po side of the tracks. These fancy writing shenanigans would be like algebra to me. Heck, I don't know that either?!

all teach ya to algebra.....

You had 93 Dollars when you Went to Sleep...

Your Kids raided your wallet and took X dollars.

You get to the gas station in the morning only to find 12 dollars left in your wallet.

93 - X = 12       

How much did them kids take.  lol (ie solve for X)
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 03:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: all teach ya to algebra.....

You had 93 Dollars when you Went to Sleep...

Your Kids raided your wallet and took X dollars.

You get to the gas station in the morning only to find 12 dollars left in your wallet.

93 - X = 12       

How much did them kids take.  lol (ie solve for X)

$105? Hilarious gimme something harder next time.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 11:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The interrobang is okay, but I've never really been as in favor of it as I have been the use of punctuation such as the percontation point or irony mark--⸮--that has been proposed since the 16th century for rhetorical questions and ironic/sarcastic statements. Of course, there is also the SarcMark, which is a more recent attempt at providing a sarcasm specific bit of punctuation: https://www.sarcmark.com/

I like the older version. It's already in the Unicode, anyway, so let's make it easier to use and make it happen!

I was gonna add the irony mark as well , but couldn't find the Unicode for it.. I guess you did.. 
Maybe we need a new "duh" mark for the Mike Brown's of the world..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Algebra was the name of the mule on the Our Gang comedies, the mule they hung a carrot in front of to get it to move . I once had an old truck we called Algebra..

Reply/Quote