Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Relax and enjoy the holidays
Burrow is injured and out - it is what it is. Ranting about coaches or OL or whatever won't fix it immediately. He'll get the surgery, recover and be back. If the team approaches these 7 games the right way they are not wasted and meaningless. To me these games need to be used for:

1) Identifying the need places correctly so that we go into offseason with a logical plan.

2) Get all the youngsters lots of snaps. If a player is not expected to be here next year sit them, our youths need the snaps. The more snaps we get the kids the better they will be next year.

3) (this is real pie in the sky) Start rethinking how the offense should be schemed because this scheme is too much hoping on Burrow to be a superhero and not a sound one with a real identity.

4) Fix the defensive issues, and make sure the culture in the defensive room embraces good tackling and using your brain out there (read and react and lane discipline and backside are all mental things). ALL the defensive issues are mental at this point.

In other words, lay the foundation for 2024 so we come out of the gate storming and don't let up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is 100% my frame of mind.
Great teams lose their stars and have lost years once in awhile.
It happens.

The team needs to focus on how they can get better going into next year.
In the meantime it's a great time for us as fans to enjoy being present with family and loved ones, and simply enjoying life.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:52 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: This is 100% my frame of mind.
Great teams lose their stars and have lost years once in awhile.
It happens.

The team needs to focus on how they can get better going into next year.
In the meantime it's a great time for us as fans to enjoy being present with family and loved ones, and simply enjoying life.

This stuff happens all the time to teams like you guys that don’t deserve it though. I’m not even a Bengals fan but it sucks to see this happen. I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Chiefs or Steelers if it happened to them.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:54 PM)packerbacker Wrote: This stuff happens all the time to teams like you guys that don’t deserve it though. I’m not even a Bengals fan but it sucks to see this happen. I wouldn’t feel sorry for the Chiefs or Steelers if it happened to them.

I mean, if it’s true that they hid the injury (I do not believe Burrow for one second, he was just trying to not throw the team under the bus), then the only person in the Bengals organization that doesn’t deserve it is Burrow and the guys he’s throwing it to who are up for new contracts. I don’t blame the OL for this obviously, but when you factor in the fact that they failed to protect him for 3 seasons and this year the OL still isn’t great, it’s just a bad look all around. 
Reply/Quote
Me winding myself down after reading this…should’ve seen me earlier.

[Image: old-school-keep-our-composure.gif]
Reply/Quote
I’d be apoplectic if the Bengals were 8-2, but this wasn’t their year to make a run. Let’s make lemonade.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I respect the OP immensely but I respectfully disagree. DO NOT TANK.
Reply/Quote
I would be so insulted as a player if management did not support myself and my teammates to do everything in their power to ensure the team can win in the present.

For most players, their time in the NFL is so very short. Some guys may never get another shot.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’d be apoplectic if the Bengals were 8-2, but this wasn’t their year to make a run. Let’s make lemonade.

No confidence that  Zac Taylor can make lemonade with the offense 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:28 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I mean, if it’s true that they hid the injury (I do not believe Burrow for one second, he was just trying to not throw the team under the bus), then the only person in the Bengals organization that doesn’t deserve it is Burrow and the guys he’s throwing it to who are up for new contracts. I don’t blame the OL for this obviously, but when you factor in the fact that they failed to protect him for 3 seasons and this year the OL still isn’t great, it’s just a bad look all around. 

They didnt hide the injury, thought you were a Burrow fan?  He said it wasnt injured and that he wears a compression sleeve on flights.  Is Joe a liar now?

Why are you still here?  Your only comments have been, "the NFL should come down hard on the Bengals", and "you didnt want Burrow to come to the dysfunctional Bengals".  

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I respect the OP immensely but I respectfully disagree.  DO NOT TANK.

Good since I was not saying to tank, just to profitably use these games to lay the foundation for winning it all in 24. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: Burrow is injured and out - it is what it is. Ranting about coaches or OL or whatever won't fix it immediately. He'll get the surgery, recover and be back. If the team approaches these 7 games the right way they are not wasted and meaningless. To me these games need to be used for:

1) Identifying the need places correctly so that we go into offseason with a logical plan.

2) Get all the youngsters lots of snaps. If a player is not expected to be here next year sit them, our youths need the snaps. The more snaps we get the kids the better they will be next year.

3) (this is real pie in the sky) Start rethinking how the offense should be schemed because this scheme is too much hoping on Burrow to be a superhero and not a sound one with a real identity.

4) Fix the defensive issues, and make sure the culture in the defensive room embraces good tackling and using your brain out there (read and react and lane discipline and backside are all mental things). ALL the defensive issues are mental at this point.

In other words, lay the foundation for 2024 so we come out of the gate storming and don't let up.

You live in la la land. We’ve been starting young and inexperienced players (Dax, Battle, Turner, Murphy). I guess we can start Iosh over Irwin.

Fix the defensive issues? Ahh yes, makes total sense. Why fix the issues when we had Burrow healthy and playing? But now, yes we’re going to fix it now. The players are now going to tackle and stop the run. They didn’t want to before, but now they do and are fully capable.

This team has been bad all year. The D line gets zero pressure besides Hendrickson. He can’t do it alone. They can’t stop the run. They get bet over the top. The offense can’t run, can’t pass protect. We spent money on OBJ, Karras, Cappa, and even Jonah. Cappa and Karras have not been good. no one gets open consistently besides Chase. well maybe if we had Tee out there….get used to it because he’s gone next year. There will be no tag and trade. There may not even be a tag. If we want to fix the D and O lines, we can’t drop 25M for one year of Higgins. But hey, we’ll get a nice comp pick in 2030.

We had a nice lucky run to the SB. That run was skill + luck. Now we don’t have too much skill and almost zero luck. I honestly can’t understand how we have gotten so bad compared to that team and last years team. They’re virtually the same, minus the safeties. Now we get to spend the next 11 months discussing FA moved and the draft. Yay. We should have been discussing playoff seeding match ups, and how to secure the #1 seed. When we lost to Cleveland game 1, bad, I knew the year was done.

Thanks for letting me rant. I needed that.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:01 PM)Joelist Wrote: Good since I was not saying to tank, just to profitably use these games to lay the foundation for winning it all in 24. 

Thanks for the clarification! This is a sensible approach but I still think the Bengals can sneak into the playoffs with the #7 seed.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:50 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: No confidence that  Zac Taylor can make lemonade with the offense 

I was responding to the original post. It’s a lost season as far as playoffs so make the best of it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 10:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: They didnt hide the injury, thought you were a Burrow fan?  He said it wasnt injured and that he wears a compression sleeve on flights.  Is Joe a liar now?

Why are you still here?  Your only comments have been, "the NFL should come down hard on the Bengals", and "you didnt want Burrow to come to the dysfunctional Bengals".  

I rescinded that statement for a while, but, I’ve changed my tune. It’s been nothing but bad news for Burrow since he’s been in Cincinnati. I think he’s injury prone at this point, but it’s not all due to that. There are a lot of other teams that would take better care of him. Granted, the appendicitis had nothing to do with the Bengals, but, at this rate he’s going to Andrew Luck himself out of the league. And the OL is better but still kind of sucks. How much abuse is he going to take? 

And yes, I think Burrow is lying because he’s a classy dude and won’t throw the organization under the bus. I also said, “IF” they hid the injury. Not saying definitively they did. But I’ve been saying for a while that ZT is bad news, the Bengals deserve better, and I wouldn’t put it past him to go against medical advice to win a game to save his job. Burrow is the only reason he can sustain one and I think you know that.
Reply/Quote
Now the Chiefs are going to win it all again unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 12:01 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I rescinded that statement for a while, but, I’ve changed my tune. It’s been nothing but bad news for Burrow since he’s been in Cincinnati. I think he’s injury prone at this point, but it’s not all due to that. There are a lot of other teams that would take better care of him. Granted, the appendicitis had nothing to do with the Bengals, but, at this rate he’s going to Andrew Luck himself out of the league. And the OL is better but still kind of sucks. How much abuse is he going to take? 

And yes, I think Burrow is lying because he’s a classy dude and won’t throw the organization under the bus. I also said, “IF” they hid the injury. Not saying definitively they did. But I’ve been saying for a while that ZT is bad news, the Bengals deserve better, and I wouldn’t put it past him to go against medical advice to win a game to save his job. Burrow is the only reason he can sustain one and I think you know that.

Burrow is not lying. The video below has a doctor explaining how stupid it is to think that an acute injury like this is a slow dragging injury.  Kinda like having a sore ankle and then you sprain it, not how it works (thanks Breech for that reference).  

Take your disdain for the Bengals and all your potshots, to your own team's board.  

Reply/Quote
Screw a draft position. I will always want to beat to mess out of the Steelers.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I want them to play their hearts out. If that is not enough, then it isn't. Draft position is nice. But they are still technically alive for a playoff spot at this moment.

Any playoff experience is a positive one also.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2023, 10:31 AM)Destro Wrote: Screw a draft position. I will always want to beat to mess out of the Steelers.

Me too. Never forget the Bengals once beat the Steelers with Ryan Finley at quarterback.
Reply/Quote