Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Releasing Andy may be the only option
(03-24-2020, 05:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The issue here is salary, not ability.  Andy Dalton will be signed by another NFL team within 72 hours of his release.

I think so too, which is why they should just cut him. Gives him more time with his new team. Gives us more money to work with.
Reply/Quote
Those saying release Dalton now and take his salary off the books have a point. The counterpoint to that is keep him as a backup until another team's QB goes down (as they do about every year) and they are needy for an experienced QB to come in and play. Then you get something for him. Because, face it, if Burrow gets hurt and they have cut Dalton, the season is over.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 05:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Those saying release Dalton now and take his salary off the books have a point. The counterpoint to that is keep him as a backup until another team's QB goes down (as they do about every year) and they are needy for an experienced QB to come in and play. Then you get something for him. Because, face it, if Burrow gets hurt and they have cut Dalton, the season is over.

The issue is, unless they cut someone else like Dre K, they literally can't afford to carry Andy's salary into the seaon. As Dehner pointed out, that money is going to have to come off the books. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 05:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Those saying release Dalton now and take his salary off the books have a point. The counterpoint to that is keep him as a backup until another team's QB goes down (as they do about every year) and they are needy for an experienced QB to come in and play. Then you get something for him. Because, face it, if Burrow gets hurt and they have cut Dalton, the season is over.

Meanwhile you're unable to sign another couple players who could help the cause on a wing and a prayer, hoping somebody loses a QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton will be signed by the Patriots within 24 hours if released. He is better than what they have now. BB is not going to just throw away his current team with an inexperienced QB. Honestly, I hope AD goes there and wins a playoff game or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 04:18 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Bummer not getting any value for Andy. But I can't see paying him that to be the back-up.

What bothers me is that they probably could have got a late 4th round pick for him from Chicago, but they just outsmarted themselves.  I think he would have been very happy in Chicago and we would have had his contract off the books.

Now we get nothing for him.   And someone like New England will pick him up for a song and see how he does in camp.

But we will probably continue the waiting game and squander the opportunity to strengthen the team more.

Just poor planning and a failure to assess the situation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 05:53 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Andy Dalton will be signed by the Patriots within 24 hours if released.  He is better than what they have now.  BB is not going to just throw away his current team with an inexperienced QB.  Honestly, I hope AD goes there and wins a playoff game or two.

Not that I would necessarily root against Dalton but I'l be rooting my ass off against the Pats.  All it ever takes is knowing one Boston sports fan to know why.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 06:00 PM)McC Wrote: Not that I would necessarily root against Dalton but I'l be rooting my ass off against the Pats.  All it ever takes is knowing one Boston sports fan to know why.

I get you there...they are annoying...Not gonna root against Andy though...One of the best we have had in Cincy and I have seen most all of them.

I am not a huge Andy homer but he was sure better than going through 50 QBs like the Stains have done in the last 10 plus years.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 06:00 PM)McC Wrote: Not that I would necessarily root against Dalton but I'l be rooting my ass off against the Pats.  All it ever takes is knowing one Boston sports fan to know why.

You are free to do as you wish, but rooting against the Pats puts you on the same side as Steelers fans.  Ick.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 06:46 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You are free to do as you wish, but rooting against the Pats puts you on the same side as Steelers fans.  Ick.

Yes but also on the same side as every other fan outside a four state area barely biggger than Ohio and some bandwagon toads.

Oops, I mean five states. Forgot CT, though half of that state roots for the Giants.

Reply/Quote
If I wanted to be a good employer (and person) I would want to sit down with a long term loyal employee and let them pick their future options. In Andy's case, do you want to be released or stay with the Bengals next year knowing you may not be the starting quarterback. It's really a win/win for the Bengals and gives Andy the freedom of choice for his future without casting him aside.

Yeah, I know it's all about business, but, most successful businesses put the employee and customer first over all financial considerations.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 07:39 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: If I wanted to be a good employer (and person) I would want to sit down with a long term loyal employee and let them pick their future options. In Andy's case, do you want to be released or stay with the Bengals next year knowing you may not be the starting quarterback. It's really a win/win for the Bengals and gives Andy the freedom of choice for his future without casting him aside.

Yeah, I know it's all about business, but, most successful businesses put the employee and customer first over all financial considerations.

Does it work that way if the business is an NFL team?  Guys get released left and right with seemingly no consideration to their future.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 07:50 PM)McC Wrote: Does it work that way if the business is an NFL team?  Guys get released left and right with seemingly no consideration to their future.

OK, you got me. I keep forgetting there a lot of amoral businesses out there. Pardon my rose colored glasses.

That being said, I still would like to Bengals do "right" by Andy.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals release Dalton, will they get a comp draft pick next year?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals release Dalton, will they get a comp draft pick next year?

I've got to think we'd still be upside down on that due to the Reader and Waynes deals.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 08:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If the Bengals release Dalton, will they get a comp draft pick next year?

No, you can't get comp picks from releasing players. We'd have to keep Dalton for next season, let him walk after the season, then get a comp pick for the 2022 draft.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd let him go for a 7th rounder at this point.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 07:39 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: If I wanted to be a good employer (and person) I would want to sit down with a long term loyal employee and let them pick their future options. In Andy's case, do you want to be released or stay with the Bengals next year knowing you may not be the starting quarterback. It's really a win/win for the Bengals and gives Andy the freedom of choice for his future without casting him aside.

Well if they wanted to be a good employer, they would've signed a coupla impact free agents between 2013 and 2015 when Dalton was at the helm. Instead he signed a team friendly deal only to watch Marvin Jones, Sanu, Whitworth, and Zeitler among others be replace with sub par players. Dalton was made the scapegoat for last year's shitty season, and now that they have a 2-14 roster, they decided to spend in free agency? I'd wager Dalton would take less to be a backup elsewhere than to stay in Cincinnati for 17 million
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Totally agree with Holic.

They also should cut or trade Dre at the same time in order to sign another LB and or safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 05:20 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: No team has signed those guys 7 days into FA. If Dalton cut, how long he last on the bench?  I bet a lot less than 7 days.

Tells me the Bengals ought not to be in haste cutting Dalton especially since there are no top tier FA's hanging around.

I don't understand, waiting gets you nothing but less FA's to pick from and less options for Dalton.
Reply/Quote