Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion, Sexuality, and the Public Knowledge of such
Why, oh why are the Sexuality and Religion of people thrust upon others ?
It seems to me that the world would be a much kinder place, we're these to be kept private.
What is it about forced acceptance that drives people ?
Why is it important that people know which invisible entity/ies you worship, or whom/what you wish to bump your naughty bits against ?
Instead of relying on either of those two things to define oneself , why can't we just concentrate on being decent people who can make the world a better place ?
Sex and Religion are personal matters (yes, I know we discuss them at length here, but we're above the common rabble) and shouldn't be worn like a strong perfume or fanciful plumage that antagonizes the nostrils of the public.
Granted, some religions require appropriate garb and we should respect those who would be ostracized without it, providing they are not attempting to force their beliefs upon you.
But... there just needs to be common sense used.
A Rabbi in full regalia shouldn't go marching through Dearborn, just as a homosexual activist should not be marching through Redneck(Murica)anytown with a dildo suit on.
Why are such things done ?
What is the obsession with forced acceptance?
Is it because of the social media age ?
Is it because so many people lack enough substance to be interesting people and need a crutch ?
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think privacy and humility are important to a sound person.
Then again... maybe I'm a prude ?

(obligatory Ninja)
(05-19-2016, 04:11 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Why, oh why are the Sexuality and Religion of people thrust upon others ?
It seems to me that the world would be a much kinder place, we're these to be kept private.
Why is it important that people know which invisible entity/ies you worship, or whom/what you wish to bump your naughty bits against ?
Instead of relying on either of those two things to define oneself , why can't we just concentrate on being decent people who can make the world a better place ?
Sex and Religion are personal matters (yes, I know we discuss them at length here, but we're above the common rabble) and shouldn't be worn like a strong perfume or fanciful plumage that antagonizes the nostrils of the public.
Granted, some religions require appropriate garb and we should respect those who would be ostracized without it, providing they are not attempting to force their beliefs upon you.
A Rabbi in full regalia shouldn't go marching through Dearborn, just as a homosexual activist should not be marching through Redneck(Murica)anytown with a dildo suit on.
Is it because so many people lack enough substance to be interesting people and need a crutch ?
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think privacy and humility are important to a sound person.

(obligatory Ninja)

i love lamp
People suck
(05-19-2016, 04:12 PM)Griever Wrote: i love lamp
Is it the light of your life ?

As long as Lamp consents, I'm ok with it.
Everyone has the right to be open about their religion and sexuality and gender identity.

Everyone also should have the right to do so free from discrimination by the government, employers, and in public accommodations.

No one should legislate their religion on others just as no one should legislate their sexual orientation onto others. Fortunately, we only have to worry about the first right now.

To answer why people are open about all of these: they're all members of subcultures within the larger US culture. Their identity is tied to it, so it is only natural that you can see that by interacting with them. Why do gay people often make their orientation a large part of their identity? Because they've been ostracized by society for so long that they had to form their own counter/sub culture. Why are trans so open on their gender identity? Are they really any more out there than cis people? For those that are, refer to the previous answer. With religious groups, obviously their religion is important guiding force in their life. The only issue comes when they want others to follow it as well.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-19-2016, 04:11 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Why, oh why are the Sexuality and Religion of people thrust upon others ?

(obligatory Ninja)

Many religions suggest and/or demand that its followers go out and get new followers. Hence, why one's religious leanings tend to be public knowledge.

With that said, the reason for the demand of acceptance of anything is a human trait, IMO. Most people don't like be seen as different or abnormal and so they either hide their difference as much as possible or band together with others of the same demographic and demand others to see them as normal.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I totally understand those things being part of who people are, but it always struck me odd how people would make it the most dominate part of who they are.
Sometimes it seems antagonistic.

Regardless of if I feel either appropriate, I definitely do not feel anyone should be discriminated in any manner.

I have religious people and gay people within my family.
Neither really put either out forward and often condemn those who do.

I guess my family is their own little sub-culture.

I appreciate the responses.
ThumbsUp
(05-19-2016, 09:15 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I totally understand those things being part of who people are, but it always struck me odd how people would make it the most dominate part of who they are.
Sometimes it seems antagonistic.

Regardless of if I feel either appropriate, I definitely do not feel anyone should be discriminated in any manner.

I have religious people and gay people within my family.
Neither really put either out forward and often condemn those who do.

I guess my family is their own little sub-culture.

I appreciate the responses.
ThumbsUp

People are stupid idiots and they ruin everything. Even something good like Christianity can't be good because instead of being able to simply say 'Jesus Christ died for yours and my sins, giving us a simple way to get to Heaven' and leaving it at that (along with whatever flier or card you may have) unless the person asks for more--overzealous believers turn into the previously stated stupid idiots and cause people to be turned off to their cause. And then there are those that feel a simple statement, such as my quote above, is someone 'cramming religion down my throat'. 

In either event...

stupid idiocy ensues. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
People can be open about stuff or not open about stuff...it's an individual call. What gets my eyes rolling are people who have 1000 facebook pictures of themselves kissing their heterosexual spouses and flaunting their kids around complaining about and wondering why gays have to be so "in your face" about their sexuality.
(05-19-2016, 10:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People can be open about stuff or not open about stuff...it's an individual call.  What gets my eyes rolling are people who have 1000 facebook pictures of themselves kissing their heterosexual spouses and flaunting their kids around complaining about and wondering why gays have to be so "in your face" about their sexuality.

Yea, that's the thing. How much more "in your face" is a guy and girl kissing in public?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-19-2016, 11:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, that's the thing. How much more "in your face" is a guy and girl kissing in public?

I agree.
I hate public displays of affection.
I'll tolerate them, but think those things would be much more special when the two people are alone.
I'm ok with handshakes and hugs though.
I'll hug anybody.
Big Grin
(05-19-2016, 11:08 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I agree.
I hate public displays of affection.
I'll tolerate them, but think those things would be much more special when the two people are alone.
I'm ok with handshakes and hugs though.
I'll hug anybody.
Big Grin

Our society is pretty wacky.  Sex is used to sell everything, everyone has to be married, every song is about finding love or flat-out gettin' it on, but god forbid you kiss display any of that in public.  It's like Americans have this constant underlying elephant in the proverbial room about sex and sexuality...it's quite amazing and crippling at the same time.
As to the religion part: Jesus said Cast down your nets I will make you fishermen of men.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-19-2016, 11:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the religion part: Jesus said Cast down your nets I will make you fishermen of men.

Oh, so that's one of the things Jesus said that Christians actually follow?  And it's FISHERS of men, ya big dummy!
As far as religion, if you truly believed you knew the one true way to go to Heaven, wouldn't you think it's your duty to let as many people as possible knew? Of course it devolves and we have things like the Inquisition and radical Islam.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-19-2016, 11:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh, so that's one of the things Jesus said that Christians actually follow?  And it's FISHERS of men, ya big dummy!

Nope, not all follow this; some hide their light under a basket. I think the universal things Christians believe in is Christ and his salvation
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-19-2016, 11:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, not all follow this; some hide their light under a basket. I think the universal things Christians believe in is Christ and his salvation

Ah, well as long as I don't have to follow that non-judgmental hippie bs in order to get into cloud city, I'm on board.
(05-19-2016, 11:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ah, well as long as I don't have to follow that non-judgmental hippie bs in order to get into cloud city, I'm on board.

It's called Bespin.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
(05-20-2016, 12:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's called Bespin.  Mellow

I had to google that and then I LOL-ed when and article on "Wookiepedia" came up.