Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember Robert Geathers?
(07-20-2015, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I never said anything like that.  I said it was hard to have a great defense when 3 of the starting front 7 are the worst in the league starting at their position.

What about the other 15 sentences/questions in that post? How about you address the parts of my post where I was giving examples of guys that weren't good on historically great defenses?

Also, I can't recall anyone saying that Maualuga is the worst (other than maybe 2012) LB in the league. You can't have amazing players at every position, some guys just aren't going to be very good. For some reason, you can't seem to accept that. Geathers and Peko aren't very good and haven't been for a couple of years. However, we're lucky enough that we have many other players that see snaps on defense to make up for their shortcomings on the field. Also note, every snap they take isn't a terrible one. Just because someone is a bottom 5/10 starting player at their position doesn't mean that we're saying that they don't produce any quality snaps, they just do it at a lesser rate than most around the league.

When Geno is playing like Geno, we don't need All-Pro DEs on both sides to have a solid line. Luckily though, we have MJ back and Geathers is gone, now Gilberry can go back to a role that he excels in.

This team has had an above average secondary since we've had such a good defense. If you notice, none of the guys we're talking about being mediocre or worse are in the secondary. You'd be surprised what a solid group of CBs and safeties can do for your defense as a whole. Ask the Seahawks front 7 how much they appreciate an extremely talented secondary.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2015, 03:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: What about the other 15 sentences/questions in that post? How about you address the parts of my post where I was giving examples of guys that weren't good on historically great defenses?

Also, I can't recall anyone saying that Maualuga is the worst (other than maybe 2012) LB in the league. You can't have amazing players at every position, some guys just aren't going to be very good. For some reason, you can't seem to accept that. Geathers and Peko aren't very good and haven't been for a couple of years. However, we're lucky enough that we have many other players that see snaps on defense to make up for their shortcomings on the field. Also note, every snap they take isn't a terrible one. Just because someone is a bottom 5/10 starting player at their position doesn't mean that we're saying that they don't produce any quality snaps, they just do it at a lesser rate than most around the league.

When Geno is playing like Geno, we don't need All-Pro DEs on both sides to have a solid line. Luckily though, we have MJ back and Geathers is gone, now Gilberry can go back to a role that he excels in.

This team has had an above average secondary since we've had such a good defense. If you notice, none of the guys we're talking about being mediocre or worse are in the secondary. You'd be surprised what a solid group of CBs and safeties can do for your defense as a whole. Ask the Seahawks front 7 how much they appreciate an extremely talented secondary.

Well he needs to take his time to spin that. Give him a few. 
Reply/Quote
People like to dog on Geathers because hes not putting up flashy sack numbers.... Which to me is just bogus. Dude was a solid defender for us for many seasons, and a solid guy all around. Id take 1 Robert Geathers over 4 Greg Hardy's anytime.  
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 03:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think people are indifferent to Geathers because...

1. He's been pretty much invisible for the last few seasons
2. He was a massive disappointment after that 10.5 sack season

Part of me was sad to see him go because he was the only player to participate in all 6 playoff games, but overall, Geathers' career was very underwhelming.

Eureka!  The curse has been lifted!!!!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2015, 03:25 PM)djs7685 Wrote: What about the other 15 sentences/questions in that post? How about you address the parts of my post where I was giving examples of guys that weren't good on historically great defenses?

Not to mention the only solid position coaching group ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 03:09 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/the-chronicle/2015/2/28/8125527/saying-goodbye-to-former-bengals-de-robert-geathers-for-now

I keep forgetting this guy was released.
It seems like he should still be on the team.
Don't go crazy over that last sentence, I realize it was time for him to go.
At the same time, I don't remember a lot of members celebrating him leaving in either a good/bad way.
How many player have there been that did there time and when that time was up there was no reaction to it?

...could just simply be I just missed an entire message board couple of months ...occasionally I have a life.

I probably always over valued the guy.
He was a presence I thought that not a lot people appreciated.
The guy that executed his assignment and allowed other players to shine.
Though I do not know enough about football to really understand if most of the time he was just simply a body that could hold up most seasons or a talent that one fully understood.

I remember him for the vicious hit he put on Chiefs QB Trent Green in the 2006 opener at Kansas City.
Reply/Quote