Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember The 2010 Pre Season?
(08-22-2017, 01:30 PM)McC Wrote: Preseason means everything. Preseason means nothing.  Preseason means everything.  Preseason means nothing...

Preseason means something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2017, 01:07 PM)GodFather Wrote: I remember in 2010 when we acquired T.O and some other good pickups, we thought we were going to be Super Bowl contenders after the 09 season and when preseason rolled around the team looked horrible. It couldn't score a TD and everyone thought the team was playing vanilla on purpose and just working for the final 53 man roster and when the regular season started THATS when we'd see this team explode...   well it imploded.

Which brings me to this year, while I think for the most part we are level headed enough not expecting this team to make a Super Bowl run, from what I've seen in preseason so far, it gives me the same feeling the '10 team did. There's a lot of  issues that I don't just see magically disappearing/correcting once week 1 hits.

Its not about the Wins/Loses in preseason but how this team plays and how tight they look....and it looks like its going to be a very long season.

I understand the parallel you are trying to make, but that team was led by a completely useless Carson Palmer...blame it on injuries, blame it on weapons, whatever, but this team has a very strong QB and a stronger defense.

Trust me, guys.  We are going to love this team....
Reply/Quote
Even though I agree and feel that 8-8 is best case scenario, I also looked back at 2011 which Pat5775 pointed out.

Horrific preseason but they made the playoffs that year.

1 AUG 12 LOSS AT BENGALS 3 LIONS 34

2 AUG 21 LOSS AT BENGALS 7 JETS 27

3 AUG 25 WIN PANTHERS 13 BENGALS 24

4 SEP 1 LOSS COLTS 17 BENGALS 13
Reply/Quote
To me you can't go to the extreme with this. I mean you can't paint with a 10 foot wide brush and say the preseason means nothing and be totally correct. Likewise you can't use the same brush and say it means everything. The truth is somewhere in the middle for the majority of teams now days.

I believe in todays NFL where there's very little full contact practice, some teams (like ours) it has some importance. We need the practice ! Lots of new pieces, lots of chemistry to build, and especially the O-line needs the Reps.

In other words if we can't protect Dalton for more than 1.1 seconds I'm going to be worried. If our defense can't learn how to tackle I'm going to be worried. If our front four continue to get no pressure I'm going to be a little worried.

If we lose and don't look so good am I going to panic and say we're going 2-14 ? No

If we win 42-6 and hit on all cylinders am I gonna buy tickets for the Superbowl ? No

My opinion, FWIW, is still that this team has a lot of the pieces to be competitive. But until I see otherwise I still believe the O-line will be the spoke of the wheel that keeps us from being a real top level team.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 06:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: To me you can't go to the extreme with this. I mean you can't paint with a 10 foot wide brush and say the preseason means nothing and be totally correct. Likewise you can't use the same brush and say it means everything. The truth is somewhere in the middle for the majority of teams now days.

I believe in todays NFL where there's very little full contact practice, some teams (like ours) it has some importance. We need the practice ! Lots of new pieces, lots of chemistry to build, and especially the O-line needs the Reps.

In other words if we can't protect Dalton for more than 1.1 seconds I'm going to be worried. If our defense can't learn how to tackle I'm going to be worried. If our front four continue to get no pressure I'm going to be a little worried.

If we lose and don't look so good am I going to panic and say we're going 2-14 ? No

If we win 42-6 and hit on all cylinders am I gonna buy tickets for the Superbowl ? No

My opinion, FWIW, is still that this team has a lot of the pieces to be competitive. But until I see otherwise I still believe the O-line will be the spoke of the wheel that keeps us from being a real top level team.

Speaking as a Bengals fan since 1968, here's what I've learned and what my Bengal mottoes are:

1.  Expect the worst, hope for the best.

2.  It isn't a 'W' for this team, until there is no time left on the clock, they are at least a point ahead, and there are no yellow flags on the field!
Reply/Quote