Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Remember this about Adeniji?
I remember reading this article last year about what the guru said.

https://stripehype.com/2020/09/18/bengals-ol-guru-answer/
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 12:33 AM)hoosierbengal Wrote: I remember reading this article last year about what the guru said.

https://stripehype.com/2020/09/18/bengals-ol-guru-answer/

I do too, now that you brought it up. Looks like the guru may have missed this one....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: nickyoung-miss-three-pointer.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If someone told you in Sept 2020 that Adeniji would be the starting right guard for the Bengals in the the 2021 season AFC Championship game, you would all cream your pants. The O-line has looked anything but pretty but they've played just well enough to win at every necessary moment to get to this point. And the Guru called it correctly that Hakeem would be able to earn the chance to start in the National Football League even as a sixth round pick. For a winning team, no less.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:54 AM)EasyPeasy Wrote: If someone told you in Sept 2020 that Adeniji would be the starting right guard for the Bengals in the the 2021 season AFC Championship game, you would all cream your pants. The O-line has looked anything but pretty but they've played just well enough to win at every necessary moment to get to this point. And the Guru called it correctly that Hakeem would be able to earn the chance to start in the National Football League even as a sixth round pick. For a winning team, no less.

I just hope they step it up this week my heart can't take Joe gettin assaulted like that again. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 04:39 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I just hope they step it up this week my heart can't take Joe gettin assaulted like that again. 

Nor can Joe's legs, back, head, arm, shoulder, ribs, etc.....

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 05:29 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nor can Joe's legs, back, head, arm, shoulder, ribs, etc.....

Lolol
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 02:54 AM)EasyPeasy Wrote: If someone told you in Sept 2020 that Adeniji would be the starting right guard for the Bengals in the the 2021 season AFC Championship game, you would all cream your pants. The O-line has looked anything but pretty but they've played just well enough to win at every necessary moment to get to this point. And the Guru called it correctly that Hakeem would be able to earn the chance to start in the National Football League even as a sixth round pick. For a winning team, no less.

Not sure "earned" is the right word to use for a guy who was 4th on the depth chart at RG and just got it by default after exhausting all other options.

XSF started week 1 and 2 and was terrible before getting hurt. 
Carman started weeks 3, 4, and 5 and was terrible.
Trey Hill started week 6 and was terrible.
Carman started weeks 7 and 8 and was terrible.

THEN Adeniji started week 9, and has been terrible, but all the other options are terrible anyway so they seem to have given up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Don't blame the guru. Lots of people around here said the exact same thing. He has always gotten an unusual amount of hype for a 6th round pick.

Lots of people here claimed Fred Johnson was going to be a starter for us.

Even Christian Westerman and Alex Redmond got a lot of hype after playing one decent game at the end of the '17 season.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 05:29 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nor can Joe's legs, back, head, arm, shoulder, ribs, etc.....

Bro, I know you included 'etc' but you totally neglected Joe's poor knee.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:11 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Bro, I know you included 'etc' but you totally neglected Joe's poor knee.

Didn't want to type that into existence  Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 08:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure "earned" is the right word to use for a guy who was 4th on the depth chart at RG and just got it by default after exhausting all other options.

THEN Adeniji started week 9, and has been terrible, but all the other options are terrible anyway so they seem to have given up.

Looks like it might be a good idea to rebuild the OL this offseason.Fire all the names you just listed? Probably should.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 08:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure "earned" is the right word to use for a guy who was 4th on the depth chart at RG and just got it by default after exhausting all other options.

I think they all have suffered playing next to Hopkins. He has been soooooooooo bad this year. Center is a big need, again.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't blame the guru.  Lots of people around here said the exact same thing.  He has always gotten an unusual amount of hype for a 6th round pick.

Even Christian Westerman and Alex Redmond got a lot of hype after playing one decent game at the end of the '17 season.

What a weird thing to take away from this post... 

You take a lot of joy going back and proving people wrong in hindsight, don't you? 

It's honestly weird. Every post you somehow find a way to manipulate it back to the board members being wrong about something. I guess it makes you feel smarter or something. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 05:13 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I think they all have suffered playing next to Hopkins. He has been soooooooooo bad this year. Center is a big need, again.

I think RG is #1 need then C and perhaps RT depending on what Reiff does.

Hopkins is ok against lesser Dlines but struggles a good deal against mid to upper level lines. And C is very important position.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 05:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think RG is #1 need then C and perhaps RT depending on what Reiff does.

Hopkins is ok against lesser Dlines but struggles a good deal against mid to upper level lines. And C is very important position.

Honestly, this team is an OLine and some depth away from being able to make a dynasty like run.    Given our cap space, I think I would focus on building the Oline with established players from FA and then draft depth - both offensive and defensive.   That depth needs to be folks that can step in and start when called upon and become our future starters / stars.    At some point we are going to have to part with some of our players as we aren't going to be able to pay them all.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 05:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think RG is #1 need then C and perhaps RT depending on what Reiff does.

bengals just spent a 2nd round pick on RG

I mean, yea, he couldnt beat out XSF or Adeniji, but the bengals did spend a 2nd rounder on RG
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 06:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: bengals just spent a 2nd round pick on RG

I mean, yea, he couldnt beat out XSF or Adeniji, but the bengals did spend a 2nd rounder on RG

Even though he should’ve been a late 3rd. I say grab the kid from Iowa. Resign Reiff or Moses. Bring in 1 big name like scherff. The line is solved. Sheriff plays at R. Carman learns behind him and Reiff. When Reiff goes move carman to right tackle.
Reply/Quote

I'm going to agree with your positions of need on the OL, but differ with you on the order of priority.  RG appears to be a huge need right now, because Adeniji just gave up the most sacks and pressures that I may have ever witnessed in a single game, however he was likely the 3rd or 4th choice for the job at the onset of the season.  I'm willing to give Carman the benefit of the doubt that he can mature, develop and grow into the regular starter at RG, going into next season.

In my opinion, the real area of priority is at Center.  As you mentioned, even a fully healthy Trey Hopkins struggles with NTs in pass pro, and he certainly can't move them off the line in short yardage situations.  We need that Center that when we need a full yard, Joe can confidently ride his ass to get that yard.  I don't feel like we're going to find the guy who can do that from day 1 in the draft, it will likely involve drafting and developing that guy for long term and signing a vet for the short term.

RT I am not as concerned about as the other two positions.  I feel like a competent, perhaps even borderline dominant RT can be signed for the short term and the long term guy can be drafted in the middle rounds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2022, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't blame the guru. Lots of people around here said the exact same thing. He has always gotten an unusual amount of hype for a 6th round pick.

Oh my goodness do I remember all the westerman hype....
Reply/Quote