Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember this question?
I put out a thread in February asking if the narrative that the Bengals are a bad organization by the main stream media was going to be enough for Mike Brown to change. It has to play some part in what they have done in free agency. The Bengals never took that level of widespread abuse from so many outlets as in the off season. Whatever the reason, i am not complaining.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:34 PM)WhoDey Wrote: I put out a thread in February asking if the narrative that the Bengals are a bad organization by the main stream media was going to be enough for Mike Brown to change. It has to play some part in what they have done in free agency. The Bengals never took that level of widespread abuse from so many outlets as in the off season. Whatever the reason, i am not complaining.

Ch...ch...ch... changes as another poster said...

Had to of got to him or the rest of the FO or this would of never happened.

No Bengal fan should complain, only Ravens, Steelers and Browns fans should complain about this Offseason for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ch...ch...ch... changes as another poster said...

Had to of got to him or the rest of the FO or this would of never happened.

No Bengal fan should complain, only Ravens, Steelers and Browns fans should complain about this Offseason for the Bengals.

Going to open up the draft quite a bit. Although linebacker seems to still be a pretty big need.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:59 PM)WhoDey Wrote: Going to open up the draft quite a bit. Although linebacker seems to still be a pretty big need.

They'll probably take a LB at some point but it seems the rest of the draft will be all O.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:59 PM)WhoDey Wrote: Going to open up the draft quite a bit. Although linebacker seems to still be a pretty big need.

I think it might be overblown now that we are going to a 3-4 hybrid. Adding Bell is essentially another Linebacker to go with Shawn,
Pratt, Bynes, Evans, Hubbard, Dunlap and Lawson. Lawson needs to work on his coverage this Offseason and I believe with his work
ethic he will big time.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 10:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it might be overblown now that we are going to a 3-4 hybrid. Adding Bell is essentially another Linebacker to go with Shawn,
Pratt, Bynes, Evans, Hubbard, Dunlap and Lawson. Lawson needs to work on his coverage this Offseason and I believe with his work
ethic he will big time.

Lawson should have a good year.. another year removed from the ACL
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:34 PM)WhoDey Wrote: The Bengals never took that level of widespread abuse from so many outlets as in the off season. 

'07 when Ochco tried to cry his way out of town, and 2010 when Palmer refused to play.  All I heard about was the long list of players who have refused to play for the Bengals and the "Carl Pickens clause" and all that shit.  Being embarrassed by the media didn't seem to bother him that bad back then, so I don't know why it would matter now.

Maybe he was really shocked by the possibility of 0-16 last year.  We have been bad before, but never that bad. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 09:34 PM)WhoDey Wrote: I put out a thread in February asking if the narrative that the Bengals are a bad organization by the main stream media was going to be enough for Mike Brown to change. It has to play some part in what they have done in free agency. The Bengals never took that level of widespread abuse from so many outlets as in the off season. Whatever the reason, i am not complaining.

If you are saying the media abuse may be why the Bengals changed, I don't agree.

I would add the media would turn on their mother if it gave them more click bait or viewers. Don't trust them now, probably never will again.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2020, 10:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think it might be overblown now that we are going to a 3-4 hybrid. Adding Bell is essentially another Linebacker to go with Shawn,
ethic he will big time.

I have gone over this several times and people just cannot seem to figure this out...i am not stating that we will not get another LBer in FA or the draft but this defense is going to change as you have stated.  I think that Williams will now be playing a lot at that LB/S hybrid role.  The DEs are now LBers.  Reader is the NT and Geno and the others are now DEs.  This concept needs to be grasped by our fan base.  Hopefully with this move the middle of the field will have better coverage against TEs and RBs also.

We do not need 5 more LBers on the roster when this type of defense only relies on 2 traditional ILBers.  Nickel and dimes will see three Safeties I would think...Bates, Bell, Williams as a hybrid.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: '07 when Ochco tried to cry his way out of town, and 2010 when Palmer refused to play.  All I heard about was the long list of players who have refused to play for the Bengals and the "Carl Pickens clause" and all that shit.  Being embarrassed by the media didn't seem to bother him that bad back then, so I don't know why it would matter now.

Maybe he was really shocked by the possibility of 0-16 last year.  We have been bad before, but never that bad. 
I disagree...It was more local bashing/in house , not to the level of this across the board bashing that happened in off season with the whole media ripping this organization + the huge emergence of social media/podcast/everyone has a voice was not present a 10-13 years ago.
Reply/Quote
QB changes usually signal organizational resets. Dalton’s was kind of weird with the lock out then we found success instantly so there was no real need to “reset”. I think having the 1st overall and knowing we have a chance to rebuild has as much to do with this as anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: '07 when Ochco tried to cry his way out of town, and 2010 when Palmer refused to play.  All I heard about was the long list of players who have refused to play for the Bengals and the "Carl Pickens clause" and all that shit.  Being embarrassed by the media didn't seem to bother him that bad back then, so I don't know why it would matter now.

I think you could be onto something here. When you add in the empty stadium as a result, it may have inspired some serious change. He took a big hit in the wallet last year. We were embarrassingly bad.

I will still have to give Zac and Lou a lot of credit. I'm sure their influence was in it as well, but Mike has the final say, and he had to sign off on everything we've done so far.
Reply/Quote
I wonder to what extent the Reds and their offseason influenced the Bengals ownership? The Reds had a big offseason of free agent signings and got a lot of attention. Maybe the Bengals followed and did the same?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I wonder to what extent the Reds and their offseason influenced the Bengals ownership? The Reds had a big offseason of free agent signings and got a lot of attention. Maybe the Bengals followed and did the same?

Probably a little bit... I think Mike Brown lives in a bubble though. Empty seats probably twisted his arm too. I really don't think the stubborn fool gives a damn what the media thinks though. I know he cares about fans in his own way though. A friend of mine wrote him years ago, and he personally wrote him back.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

The front office have taken this kind of abuse and more in the past. Mike Brown used to say things like "We hear you loud and clear!" and still went on with business as usual. The media was brutal with us in the 90's calling us (Sorry Bonnie) the "Bungles" among other things. From local shows like "Sports of all Sorts" to the national shows on NBC, CBS, FOX, and ESPN we were "abused, ridiculed, and criticized on a regular basis and a lot of it was justified. Now, what finally changed this year? I don't know. Maybe Mike Brown is changing his business model from a team that builds through the draft to a team that builds through the draft and free agency. Maybe Zac Taylor has something to do with it? I don't know? Did Mike Brown turn over control to Troy and Katie Blackburn? Again, who knows? Could be a number of things, like our record last year, our attendance the last few seasons, or Mike Brown's age catching up with him, maybe a combination of things. I'm just happy for the change for once. If it blows up in our face at least we can say we tried something different because building mostly through the draft hasn't worked out for us the last few seasons. Let's hope the changes made this off season along with Joe Burrow and a new crop of draft picks coming in, it will be truly a "New Dey" for us all! Who Dey! Stay Safe!! and God Bless!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 12:31 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I have gone over this several times and people just cannot seem to figure this out...i am not stating that we will not get another LBer in FA or the draft but this defense is going to change as you have stated.  I think that Williams will now be playing a lot at that LB/S hybrid role.  The DEs are now LBers.  Reader is the NT and Geno and the others are now DEs.  This concept needs to be grasped by our fan base.  Hopefully with this move the middle of the field will have better coverage against TEs and RBs also.

We do not need 5 more LBers on the roster when this type of defense only relies on 2 traditional ILBers.  Nickel and dimes will see three Safeties I would think...Bates, Bell, Williams as a hybrid.  

Yes, I think this needs to be said much more around here so some understand this isn't the same Defense.

We already have 3 stack LB's in Pratt, Bynes and Evans. Shawn and Vonn are now the NB's and Hubbard, Dunlap, Lawson are all
Outside Linebackers in this new scheme with Geno and say Andrew Brown being the Ends with Reader at NT.

Wouldn't surprise me if we Drafted another 3-4 End type to battle with Brown.
Reply/Quote