Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembering Chris Henry.....
The video link below from our guest earlier in the season (former Bengal DB Morgan Trent) sheds some light on a different side of Chris Henry that many have not heard about.

We remember Chris on this tragic day and invite you to check out the link below.

https://fb.watch/2rnD1oyPTZ/
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Is today the anniversary?

I remember being at the first home game after against the Chiefs... We had Larry Johnson for that hot second, Leon Hall had a game sealing int, and it started dumping snow at the end of the game. That was a damn shame about Henry... He was a hell of a weapon, and left loved ones behind after a stupid incident. It's pretty cool that his organs helped so many people after his death though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Incredible talent who has a immense skill level.
Nobody could track down a deep ball anybody.
And he always showed up.vs the Steelers
Ike Taylor Deshea Townsend Ricardo Colcaugh could not
Cover him one on.one.
Reply/Quote
I think his wife knowingly swerved with Henry on the back of the truck and should’ve faced charges.
Reply/Quote
It was a bad deal for sure.

Henry had no problem finding trouble regardless of whether he was playing, but I'll always wonder if he'd still be alive if he'd not been injured vs the Ravens that year. The team certainly could have used him. Chad was in decline and Coles was a poor substitute for TJ to put it mildly. The team's offense was heavily dependent on Benson. A player like Henry might have been enough to get them past the Jets in that freezing cold Wild Card game, but I digress.

I remember when I heard about it. I was on a break at work. I had to walk to the bathroom so none of my co-workers would see my over-invested fan self tearing up over it. Only times I've gotten like that over sports are Marty Brenneman's last sign-off and Slim's death.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 09:10 PM)samhain Wrote: It was a bad deal for sure.  

Henry had no problem finding trouble regardless of whether he was playing, but I'll always wonder if he'd still be alive if he'd not been injured vs the Ravens that year.  The team certainly could have used him.  Chad was in decline and Coles was a poor substitute for TJ to put it mildly.  The team's offense was heavily dependent on Benson.  A player like Henry might have been enough to get them past the Jets in that freezing cold Wild Card game, but I digress.

I remember when I heard about it.  I was on a break at work.  I had to walk to the bathroom so none of my co-workers would see my over-invested fan self tearing up over it.  Only times I've gotten like that over sports are Marty Brenneman's last sign-off and Slim's death.

Hard to say what would have been, had his untimely end not occurred.  I feel for his family for their loss, but he was a troubled young man.  As for him taking the team farther than they went?  Hmm, maybe.  I seem to remember him being a one trick pony as a WR.  They just sent him on a 9 route, and hoped that he had one on one coverage.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hard to say what would have been, had his untimely end not occurred.  I feel for his family for their loss, but he was a troubled young man.  As for him taking the team farther than they went?  Hmm, maybe.  I seem to remember him being a one trick pony as a WR.  They just sent him on a 9 route, and hoped that he had one on one coverage.

Yeah, but he was damn good at it when he was available.  Availability was his biggest problem, be it from injury or suspension.  He never stayed out there long enough to develop into much else, but as far as one-trick ponies go, his one trick was highly effective.  Henry was a great deep ball WR straight out of college without any NFL seasoning.  If he had any ability to get his head on straight and consistently hone his craft, who knows what he could have been?

That season was a rollercoaster.  The Stokely game was brutal, then they win in Green Bay, the "TOUCHDOWN ANDRE CALDWELL!!!" game, sweep the division, the Vickie Zimmer game, Henry's passing, the late afternoon game vs the Bears where benson vented his frustrations in an epic destruction of hs former team, then as always, disappointment.  It was a season any Bengal fan will always remember.
Reply/Quote
The accident happened about a mile or two away from where I worked. Drove by it the next day and saw the police tape up. Very sad. He really was turning his life around.

About 4 years ago I was taking my son to his football game and there was a game finishing up before ours. I saw two lanky kids and they both had the last name of Henry. I told my wife how they reminded me of Chris Henry since they were tall, wore #15 and had the last name as him. Took me a few minutes to realize that they were indeed Chris Henry’s kids. Saw their mother later on walking them to their car and I wasn’t sure if I was looking at an unfortunate widow or a murderer.

(Another shame was his kids were on a team called the Coulwood-Oak Steelers)
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 10:09 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: The accident happened about a mile or two away from where I worked. Drove by it the next day and saw the police tape up. Very sad. He really was turning his life around.

About 4 years ago I was taking my son to his football game and there was a game finishing up before ours. I saw two lanky kids and they both had the last name of Henry. I told my wife how they reminded me of Chris Henry since they were tall, wore #15 and had the last name as him. Took me a few minutes to realize that they were indeed Chris Henry’s kids. Saw their mother later on walking them to their car and I wasn’t sure if I was looking at an unfortunate widow or a murderer.

When a woman is trying to get away from you... It's a good idea to let her go. He didn't own that woman, and had zero right to jump in the bed of that vehicle. I don't know about the unfortunate widow part, but she's not a murderer. I'd wager that she's lived a pretty tortured existence since that day.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I beieve it was CBS pregame show did a story with his mom about organ donation. Made James Brown choke up and Boomer had to take over. Rough stuff.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 09:10 PM)samhain Wrote: It was a bad deal for sure.  

Henry had no problem finding trouble regardless of whether he was playing, but I'll always wonder if he'd still be alive if he'd not been injured vs the Ravens that year.  The team certainly could have used him.  Chad was in decline and Coles was a poor substitute for TJ to put it mildly.  The team's offense was heavily dependent on Benson.  A player like Henry might have been enough to get them past the Jets in that freezing cold Wild Card game, but I digress.

I remember when I heard about it.  I was on a break at work.  I had to walk to the bathroom so none of my co-workers would see my over-invested fan self tearing up over it.  Only times I've gotten like that over sports are Marty Brenneman's last sign-off and Slim's death.

Losing both Odom and Henry that season cost us a chance at a championship.  Henry was a game changer as a deep threat and Redzone threat. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Shit on me for this take, but I have more sympathy for Odell Thurman than Chris Henry. Odell liked to get shit faced and show up late to the party (and practices).

Chris also liked to get shit faced at parties and then he would throw bottles at people. Beating the shit out of any fan or bystander in his way.

Not to besmirch the dead, but here I go: Charged with more DUIs and assaults with a deadly weapon, while corrupting minors, than Earl Pitts. During a domestic assault, he jumped up in the bed of a truck while his baby's mother was trying to escape, and he fell. Henry didn't deserve to die the way he did. But he's also not a Saint's day.

I love the player, but I'm not too thrilled about the man... Now shit on me.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 10:09 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: The accident happened about a mile or two away from where I worked. Drove by it the next day and saw the police tape up. Very sad. He really was turning his life around.

Why do you say this, other than the fact people always say this about someone who dies when they lived a troubled life. What I remember is Henry couldn't put the pot pipe down and that led to most of his problems. Well, that and CTE.  It's a shame he died, he was a troubled young man, but from what I remember he was headed down a one way street with no detours. If he hadn't died, he would have been just like the Cleveland receiver, who's name escapes me at the moment, who had all the talent in the world but was basically suspended out of the league because he couldn't quit smoking weed.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 03:37 PM)corpjet Wrote: The video link below from our guest earlier in the season (former Bengal DB Morgan Trent) sheds some light on a different side of Chris Henry that many have not heard about.

We remember Chris on this tragic day and invite you to check out the link below.

https://fb.watch/2rnD1oyPTZ/

We rarely got to see Chad, TJ, and Henry on the field together due to injuries, but when we did....That game against Chicago where Benson had a big rushing day, but the passing game was just a lethal.  That is the last time I remember an opposing defense with that look in their eyes like:   "How do we stop this?".

I also remember that in Chris's autopsy, they found multiple lesions on his brain from concussions (not as prominently reported then) and evidence of CTE.  

Very sad.  RIP #15
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:51 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Shit on me for this take, but I have more sympathy for Odell Thurman than Chris Henry. Odell liked to get shit faced and show up late to the party (and practices).

Chris also liked to get shit faced at parties and then he would throw bottles at people. Beating the shit out of any fan or bystander in his way.

Not to besmirch the dead, but here I go: Charged with more DUIs and assaults with a deadly weapon, while corrupting minors, than Earl Pitts. During a domestic assault, he jumped up in the bed of a truck while his baby's mother was trying to escape, and he fell. Henry didn't deserve to die the way he did. But he's also not a Saint's day.

I love the player, but I'm not too thrilled about the man... Now shit on me.

Not going to shit on you, but if you read my later post, the chronic effects of CTE have a profound impact on emotions and behavior.  This, sadly, is what led Junior Seau to commit suicide.  He actually shot himself in the chest, so they could examine his brain and hope to help prevent the same thing from happening to others.  

I am not trying to make a blanket statement of football players, concussions, CTE, and bad behaviour, but there is a clear link in many cases and it is very sad.  

I sure couldn't stand the guy when he was playing, although everyone seemed to think highly of him, but I saw Polumolu get concussed a half dozen times myself.  I fear that guy won't be able to find his home in a few years.  You can say he brought it on himself always leading with his helmet, but still.  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 10:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not going to shit on you, but if you read my later post, the chronic effects of CTE have a profound impact on emotions and behavior.  This, sadly, is what led Junior Seau to commit suicide.  He actually shot himself in the chest, so they could examine his brain and hope to help prevent the same thing from happening to others.  

I am not trying to make a blanket statement of football players, concussions, CTE, and bad behaviour, but there is a clear link in many cases and it is very sad.  

I sure couldn't stand the guy when he was playing, although everyone seemed to think highly of him, but I saw Polumolu get concussed a half dozen times myself.  I fear that guy won't be able to find his home in a few years.  You can say he brought it on himself always leading with his helmet, but still.  

Problem is Chris Henry had behavioral issues going back
To Virginia Tech, so it’s hard to say whether CTE was the cause of his more
Erratic antics.
Reply/Quote
In 2009 the Bengals entire offense collapsed when we lost Chris Henry and his ability to stretch the field.

Through their first 8 games the Bengals had faced 4 top 10 passing defenses and their 8 opponents averaged a 12.8 ranking in pass defense. But the passing offense was still relatively productive. It ranked 10th in passing tds, 13 in pass efficiency rating, and 18th in yards per games.

But we lost Chris Henry to injury in that 8th games.

Over their final 8 games the Bengals only faced 2 top ten pass defenses and their 8 opponents averaged a 17.1 ranking in pass defense. But since we had zero receiving threat from TEs or RBs they were able to double Chad and shut down our passing game. Despite playing much weaker pass defense our passing game ranked 30th in yards per game, 27th in passing tds, 21st in pass efficiency rating. Over those final 8 games our #2 and #3 WRs (Caldwell, Coles) averaged 21.5 receptions for 223 yds (10.4 avg) and 1 td each. Neither one of them could even make plays against single coverage.

Also over those last 8 games we did not beat a single team that finished better than 5-11.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 08:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 2009 the Bengals entire offense collapsed when we lost Chris Henry and his ability to stretch the field.

Through their first 8 games the Bengals had faced 4 top 10 passing defenses and their 8 opponents averaged  a 12.8 ranking in pass defense.  But the passing offense was still relatively productive.  It ranked 10th in passing tds, 13 in pass efficiency rating, and 18th in yards per games.

But we lost Chris Henry to injury in that 8th games.

Over their final 8 games the Bengals only faced 2 top ten pass defenses and their 8 opponents averaged a 17.1 ranking in pass defense.  But since we had zero receiving threat from TEs or RBs they were able to double Chad and shut down our passing game.
 Despite playing much weaker pass defense our passing game ranked 30th in yards per game, 27th in passing tds, 21st in pass efficiency rating.  Over those final 8 games our #2 and #3 WRs (Caldwell, Coles) averaged 21.5 receptions for 223 yds (10.4 avg) and 1 td each.  Neither one of them could even make plays against single coverage.

Also over those last 8 games we did not beat a single team that finished better than 5-11.

That is partly on Bratkowski, his plan never included much passing to backs or TEs.  As I remember, in limited opportunities Cedric Benson proved to be a very capable receiver.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 07:57 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Problem is Chris Henry had behavioral issues going back
To Virginia Tech, so it’s hard to say whether CTE was the cause of his more
Erratic antics.

I think you meant West Virginia, but his brain damage could have started in youth football for all we know.  It is hard to say, but I was still surprised when the autopsy mentioned that as he had not been in the league that long and, IIRC, there was a statement that read something to the effect of "all around his brain".  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is partly on Bratkowski, his plan never included much passing to backs or TEs.  As I remember, in limited opportunities Cedric Benson proved to be a very capable receiver.

Wasn't that the year that like 40 tight ends got hurt in camp?  Reggie Kelly, Ben Utecht, etc?  Member JP Foschi?  Daniel Coates?  It wasn't pretty.  If Drew Sample is an All-Pro compared to that bunch.
Reply/Quote