Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remembering the Pre-Lewis Years
(12-11-2017, 01:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's more than this out there...but here's some of it:

Coughlin presented an action plan to the Bengals detailing changes he would like to make in the front office. He apparently wants to increase the size of the football support staff - scouting and personnel - from the current 4 1/2 to at least the low end of the league average, 11.

Coughlin, the former Jacksonville Jaguars coach who was fired Dec. 30, left Cincinnati without an agreement to become the ninth coach in Bengals history. People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/01/10/wwwben1a10.html

Boy, did we show him!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:59 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: What if the team announces Katie will be taking over in January?

Do you think ANY other NFL Franchise would give her control of their franchise?

The problem you have with Bengals management is most of them are family and they've basically worked for only the Bengals and no other franchises therefore they don't know how other teams do things.

You need outside blood to fix this ship.

I have more confidence that the Browns will win a playoff game before us.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Unless Mike Brown is dead, it won't happen.  I mean, I can't SEE it happening...I can't see the future.  I actually think Katie will be like Mark Davis and hire a GM the second her old man, who never would hire a GM, keels over.

Sit tight...
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do you think ANY other NFL Franchise would give her control of their franchise?

The problem you have with Bengals management is most of them are family and they've basically worked for only the Bengals and no other franchises therefore they don't know how other teams do things.

You need outside blood to fix this ship.

I have more confidence that the Browns will win a playoff game before us.

That I can't disagree with
Reply/Quote
Did you see today’s game? The 1990s have returned!
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:08 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: That I can't disagree with

Through the 90s and 2000s I was endlessly optimistic. The Bengals had bad luck. They'll turn things around.

Now I gust see we are terribly mismanaged.

How mismanaged? 3-4 years ago when Marvin was 0-5 in the playoffs was the time to get rid of him.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:09 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Did you see today’s game?  The 1990s have returned!

With Atkins and Dunlap and Dennard set to be free agents after next season...they could be back.

We lose any of those guys and we get way worse. Atkins is the only player on the roster playing elite this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Through the 90s and 2000s I was endlessly optimistic. The Bengals had bad luck. They'll turn things around.

Now I gust see we are terribly mismanaged.

How mismanaged? 3-4 years ago when Marvin was 0-5 in the playoffs was the time to get rid of him.

That was me until about 2008. Then the 2010 re-hire of Lewis and the Palmer debacle...

Like seriously, who else? Who else but the bengals?? 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:12 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: That was me until about 2008. Then the 2010 re-hire of Lewis and the Palmer debacle...

Like seriously, who else? Who else but the bengals?? 

When the Bengals waived Chris Henry and Marvin said he wouldn't be back...and then Mike Brown re-signed him...that was the 1st major undermining of Marvin that kind of showed MB was still in charge.

You don't undermine your coach like that.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's more than this out there...but here's some of it:

Coughlin presented an action plan to the Bengals detailing changes he would like to make in the front office. He apparently wants to increase the size of the football support staff - scouting and personnel - from the current 4 1/2 to at least the low end of the league average, 11.

Coughlin, the former Jacksonville Jaguars coach who was fired Dec. 30, left Cincinnati without an agreement to become the ninth coach in Bengals history. People close to Coughlin said Thursday that the size of the personnel department could be a potential deal-breaker, and that Coughlin probably wouldn't take a job without the resources he thinks he needs to win.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/01/10/wwwben1a10.html

Good f***ing God... Just 4 1/2? Who is the half, is there a midget member in the brown family?  Smirk

Sorry, I'm sorry PC police Nervous ... Is there a "little person" in the brown family?
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When the Bengals waived Chris Henry and Marvin said he wouldn't be back...and then Mike Brown re-signed him...that was the 1st major undermining of Marvin that kind of showed MB was still in charge.

You don't undermine your coach like that.

I feel like something similar happened with the John Ross draft choice... Maybe the pacman extension as well
Reply/Quote
Here's what we know for sure:

Mike Brown isn't going to fire himself as Owner/GM or change his entire family as all the front office people. You can start 1,000 more threads about how bad this team is managed by the Brown family and how bad things were before Lewis and it matters not !

So here's our ONLY options:

A.) Stick with Marvin Lewis and what hasn't, doesn't, and won't ever work.

B.) Try something new.

I could really care less about what happened before Lewis ! It doesn't matter even one little bit given the situation.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:09 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Did you see today’s game?  The 1990s have returned!

Yes and no. In the 90's, most of those teams were just that bad. The crime is playing that bad, when you're not that bad (see today).
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 12:55 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Marvin Lewis has my eternal thanks for taking this team out of the the pits.

But at the same time, he's taken this team as far as he will. Time for someone new.

This

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here's what we know for sure:

Mike Brown isn't going to fire himself as Owner/GM or change his entire family as all the front office people. You can start 1,000 more threads about how bad this team is managed by the Brown family and how bad things were before Lewis and it matters not !

B.) Try something new.

I could really care less about what happened before Lewis ! It doesn't matter even one little bit given the situation.

This sums it up. 

I mean who the hell does not want new FO personnel, GM, and more scouts other than MB.

We are handcuff in that matter. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:40 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This

Totally agree !

I'll always be thankful and like Marvin Lewis for helping make this team matter again. I like the guy I'm sure he's a good man. I'd love to meet him and shake his hand and say a heartfelt thanks.

I also think a lot of my next door neighbor. But neither one of them are ever going to win a Super Bowl as HC of the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:10 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Totally agree !

I'll always be thankful and like Marvin Lewis for helping make this team matter again. I like the guy I'm sure he's a good man. I'd love to meet him and shake his hand and say a heartfelt thanks.

I also think a lot of my next door neighbor. But neither one of them are ever going to win a Super Bowl as HC of the Bengals.

Glad to see this seems to be the prevailing opinion on the subject. I hope drunks at PBS don’t treat him like garbage in his last home game.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 01:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Here's what we know for sure:

B.) Try something new.

See it does matter though because you have the same small scouting department and same front office.

You can say it doesn't matter because it won't change...but it does matter.
Reply/Quote
We're 11-17-1 (.397) over the last 2 seasons, so we're kinda going through the 90's again WITH Merv.

We all know any coach here will have a giant Mike Brown shaped anchor around his neck, but Marvin Lewis found a way to make it work, so it must not be rocket science.

Merv just couldn't get his teams to perform in crunch time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
"He did some good things"
Reply/Quote