Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reminding me of 2012
Team is starting to remind me of our 2012 team
1. win with a solid defense,
2. stand out early draft pick in Chase like AJ,
3solid running game with Mixon like Ellis that means
4we dont need to throw ball 30 plus times and manage the game at QB with 2nd year QB Burrow like we did with 2 yr QB in Dalton
5. we go 3-1 in 2012 beating Jacksonville on the way to a 10-6 season in a tough division.. hmm we have Jacksonville on Thurs.

Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been reminded more of the 2009 team.

- Coming off a 4 win season
- Franchise QB coming off of injury
- O-line is a work in progress at best
- So we compensated for these things by focusing on the run and not putting a big burden on the QB
- Young defense that is surprisingly dominant
- Undefeated vs Steelers
- We played the NFC North teams
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been reminded more of the 2009 team.

- So we compensated for these things by focusing on the run and not putting a big burden on the QB
- Undefeated vs Steelers
Goid points we can disagree on retrospective burnt we both can be optimistic of rest of season
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been reminded more of the 2009 team.

- Undefeated vs Steelers

AND....They got an 11 yard gain on the unbalanced line with an extra OT...
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 08:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Goid points we can disagree on retrospective burnt we both can be optimistic of rest of season

[Image: flat,750x1000,075,f.u2.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

- Undefeated vs Steelers

Cedric Benson was an absolute BEAST that year! Was so much fun to watch him play. Remember that 45-10 lashing he and the offense gave the Bears that year? If that wasn't personal to Benson...

Unfortunately, as usual under Marvin the team didn't show up at the end of the year losing their last 3 of 4 and losing to the Jets in the playoffs. One thing you do have to say about Starvin' Marvin, he was consistent. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 09:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: Cedric Benson was an absolute BEAST that year! Was so much fun to watch him play. Remember that 45-10 lashing he and the offense gave the Bears that year? If that wasn't personal to Benson...

Unfortunately, as usual under Marvin the team didn't show up at the end of the year losing their last 3 of 4 and losing to the Jets in the playoffs. One thing you do have to say about Starvin' Marvin, he was consistent. 

Well Graham had two easy field goals missed otherwise we might've won the playoff game. It was a shame Cedric Benson had an amazing playoff game I don't think he had less than 5yds on any of his carries.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 08:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Goid points we can disagree on retrospective burnt we both can be optimistic of rest of season

We don't really disagree, or I should say I don't disagree with your comparison. Just saying I see more similarities with 09.

I agree there's some similarities with 12 as well. I'll add to your list: That was the year Marv and Jay asked for more "unscripted plays" out of Dalton...which led to 46 sacks despite having a pretty good line.

Some are saying that Burrow is causing some sacks for similar reasons this year.

(09-26-2021, 09:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: Cedric Benson was an absolute BEAST that year! Was so much fun to watch him play. Remember that 45-10 lashing he and the offense gave the Bears that year? If that wasn't personal to Benson...

I was at Molly Malone's in Covington with my Wife and Dad that day, eating some of the best wings of my life. Bar was packed with Bears fans who started out talking smack and quickly quieted down before leaving completely dejected. LOL

Awesome day.

Tbh, I have no idea why we threw so much against the Jets. I want to say Palmer had around 40 attempts. We should've been riding Benson all game. Especially against those corners. Marv always had us throwing a ton in the playoffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Fred's brought it up to death, but I and a few others used to bring it up on the mothership too; our season went down the tubes with the passing of Henry, period. We have Henry, we aren't a one-dimensional team that has trouble passing more than 10 yards downfield.

Also, if Odom isn't taken out for the year on an illegal block (that wasn't called), he probably would've had the sack record and/or the best season by a DE in team history. That would've made our already great defense, even better.

EDIT* We also faced the hottest team in the NFL (playoff or otherwise), while we easily the coldest playoff team in the NFL, that Wildcard game.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We don't really disagree, or I should say I don't disagree with your comparison. Just saying I see more similarities with 09.

I agree there's some similarities with 12 as well. I'll add to your list: That was the year Marv and Jay asked for more "unscripted plays" out of Dalton...which led to 46 sacks despite having a pretty good line.

Some are saying that Burrow is causing some sacks for similar reasons this year.

I was at Molly Malone's in Covington with my Wife and Dad that day, eating some of the best wings of my life. Bar was packed with Bears fans who started out talking smack and quickly quieted down before leaving completely dejected. LOL

Awesome day.

Tbh, I have no idea why we threw so much against the Jets. I want to say Palmer had around 40 attempts. We should've been riding Benson all game. Especially against those corners. Marv always had us throwing a ton in the playoffs.

Yeah, Palmer had 36 attempts that game. Bengals went into the 4th quarter down 21-7 and Benson ripped off a 47 yard TD run. Jets just suffocated them other than that.
Reply/Quote
And lest we not forget our newly acquired phenom, Legs Benedict.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:16 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Fred's brought it up to death, but I and a few others used to bring it up on the mothership too; our season went down the tubes with the passing of Henry, period. We have Henry, we aren't a one-dimensional team that has trouble passing more than 10 yards downfield.

Also, if Odom isn't taken out for the year on an illegal block (that wasn't called), he probably would've had the sack record and/or the best season by a DE in team history. That would've made our already great defense, even better.

EDIT* We also faced the hottest team in the NFL (playoff or otherwise), while we easily the coldest playoff team in the NFL, that Wildcard game.

You want to talk about cold, the last game of the season I went to NY to see the Bengals on week 17 and it was -5 wind chill. The weather was brutal but the score even more so when the Bengals lost 37-0. Complete nightmare!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:21 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, Palmer had 36 attempts that game. Bengals went into the 4th quarter down 21-7 and Benson ripped off a 47 yard TD run. Jets just suffocated them other than that.

That would lead one to believe we were 2 scores behind for awhile, and passed to catch up, but that really wasn't the case. It was only a 14-7 game until the Jets scored with only 2:18 left in the 3rd.

We scored on the Benson run 6 minutes later, with 11 minutes left in the 4th.

It was a close game pretty much all the way, yet we made 36 throws to only 21 carries (all Benson). That's not a winning ratio. Especially for that 09 team, and especially not against those corners. That's on Merv and Brat.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That would lead one to believe we were 2 scores behind for awhile, and passed to catch up, but that really wasn't the case. It was only a 14-7 game until the Jets scored with only 2:18 left in the 3rd.

We scored on the Benson run 6 minutes later, with 11 minutes left in the 4th.

It was a close game pretty much all the way, yet we made 36 throws to only 21 carries (all Benson). That's not a winning ratio. Especially for that 09 team, and especially not against those corners. That's on Merv and Brat.

Oh I wasn’t making any arguments, just recounting what I found. I remember it being competitive but one of those “close but not close” games. Cinci just couldn’t get anything going with Palmer.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:35 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Oh I wasn’t making any arguments, just recounting what I found. I remember it being competitive but one of those “close but not close” games. Cinci just couldn’t get anything going with Palmer.

I wasn't saying you were. I was just clarifying what took place, because I can see how someone would look at that 21-7 lead going into the 4th and come to that conclusion.

You're right though. It wasn't close...because we were leaning on Palmer when we should've been leaning on Benson and probably giving Leonard more than 0 carries.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:16 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Fred's brought it up to death, but I and a few others used to bring it up on the mothership too; our season went down the tubes with the passing of Henry, period. We have Henry, we aren't a one-dimensional team that has trouble passing more than 10 yards downfield.

Losing Henry was the game changer. Also had a ton of injuries that year and the roster wasn't that talented to start with. 
In all honesty its probably Marvin's best coaching job while he was here. You could also argue the 14 season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We don't really disagree, or I should say I don't disagree with your comparison. Just saying I see more similarities with 09.

Awesome day.

You are more accurate with the 2009 team,  but that team seemed to live and die with the run and unbalanced line.  I would like to see more of that as well, but they so need a play-action deep shot out of it.  You don't see many plays (outside of goal line) where the entire defense is at the line of scrimmage.  If they could have a TE chip and slide out, it could be a huge play.  

Palmer didn't quite seem himself in 2009, aside from a few big games.  I don't remember if that was the elbow season, but he wasn't as good as he was in 2005 and 2006.  
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are more accurate with the 2009 team,  but that team seemed to live and die with the run and unbalanced line.  I would like to see more of that as well, but they so need a play-action deep shot out of it.  You don't see many plays (outside of goal line) where the entire defense is at the line of scrimmage.  If they could have a TE chip and slide out, it could be a huge play.  

Palmer didn't quite seem himself in 2009, aside from a few big games.  I don't remember if that was the elbow season, but he wasn't as good as he was in 2005 and 2006.  
It was the year after the elbow. Palmer numbers were not great (lack of supporting cast) but he was clutch as hell.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote