Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ren Wren's situation
I really like Renell Wrens potential when we drafted him, but he didn't really show anything last year.

Renell Wren......2 start... 8tkls.... 0 sacks

However he was a fourth round pick so it would have been unusual for him to show a lot his rookie season. Over the last 20 years there have only been 5 Pro Bowl DTs drafted in the 4th round or later. Kyle Williams was a stud from day one with 11 starts and 53 tackles as a rookie. Here is what the other 4 did their first season

Geno Atkins........1 start...16 tkls..... 3 sacks (to be fair Geno looked better than these stats, but Geno is a freaking HOF level player)
Paul Solaia..........0 start... 4 tkls..... 0 sacks
Malik Jackson......0 start... 5 tkls..... 0 sacks
Mike Daniels........0 start...12 tkls.... 2 sacks

For those of you who do not understand advanced statistical analysis this proves that Wren will be a Pro Bowl player
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I really like Renell Wrens potential when we drafted him, but he didn't really show anything last year.

However he was a fourth round pick so it would have been unusual for him to show a lot his rookie season.  Over the last 20 years there have only been 5 Pro Bowl DTs drafted in the 4th round or later.  Kyle Williams was a stud from day one with 11 starts and 53 tackles as a rookie. Here is what the other 4 did their first season

Geno Atkins........1 start...16 tkls..... 3 sacks (to be fair Geno looked better than these stats, but Geno is a freaking HOF level player)

For those of you who do not understand advanced statistical analysis this proves that Wren will be a Pro Bowl player

He felt like a big project like how Marcus Hardison was.
I like his potential, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him not do anything for (at least) another year or two.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He felt like a big project like how Marcus Hardison was.
I like his potential, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him not do anything for (at least) another year or two.

NoWren to see here...
Reply/Quote
Never really liked this pick. When you add in Finley 2 of our 3 4th rounders from that year look pretty meh so far. Hopefully Jordan will at least continue to progress.

Reply/Quote
In all fairness to Wren it wasn't like he was getting a ton of playing time last season behind Atkins, Billings, Topu, and Brown all ahead of him on the depth chart.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I really like Renell Wrens potential when we drafted him, but he didn't really show anything last year.

However he was a fourth round pick so it would have been unusual for him to show a lot his rookie season.  Over the last 20 years there have only been 5 Pro Bowl DTs drafted in the 4th round or later.  Kyle Williams was a stud from day one with 11 starts and 53 tackles as a rookie. Here is what the other 4 did their first season

I know this is somewhat tongue in cheek, but if Atkins and Reader can show him some things he may pan out to be a better than average player.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Geno Atkins didn't get much PT his rookie year because Marvin hated playing rookies even if the talent was there. Dunlap didn't see any action that year as well .
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 01:55 AM)J24 Wrote: In all fairness to Wren it wasn't like he was getting a ton of playing time last season behind Atkins, Billings, Topu, and Brown all ahead of him on the depth chart.

Tupou was the one that really took the opportunity and stepped up.   I think Wren will be quality depth, which is absolutely needed.  
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 03:46 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Geno Atkins didn't get much PT his rookie year because Marvin hated playing rookies even if the talent was there.  Dunlap didn't see any action that year as well .

Despite being injured in preseason which slowed his start Dunlap finished with 9.5 sacks that year.

Marvin played rookies and young players as much as the average NFL coach.  I have posted the nunmbers to prove it.  But that is all water under the bridge.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 01:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Never really liked this pick. When you add in Finley 2 of our 3 4th rounders from that year look pretty meh so far. Hopefully Jordan will at least continue to progress.

90% of 4th round picks look "meh" as rookies.

Only 4 of 36 were started more than 7 games.  Maxx Crosby is the only one who looked impressive.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 09:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 90% of 4th round picks look "meh" as rookies.

Only 4 of 36 were started more than 7 games.  Maxx Crosby is the only one who looked impressive.

Not as meh as Finley. Terrible pick. And we traded up to get him...

Wren didn’t look Billy Price level bad, but I stand by not liking the pick at this point. We’ll see.

Reply/Quote
Apparently I'm the only one that liked the pick. He's one of those younger guys that is disruptive, but just needs to figure out how to finish.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 09:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 90% of 4th round picks look "meh" as rookies.

I think his biggest issue is leverage. He seems to stand upright at the snap and always turns sideways getting man handled. If he can get this corrected he has the physical gifts. He is a 4th rounder so you cant really expect him to be completely polished.
Reply/Quote
We’ve actually done pretty well in the 4th at times. Geno, Lawson, Billings, Boling, Peko, Geathers, Rudi...

It’s obviously way too early to fully judge Wren, but it’s not like really good players can’t be found in those middle rounds.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 08:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Despite being injured in preseason which slowed his start Dunlap finished with 9.5 sacks that year.

My bad. I thought Dunlap was very limited his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
Seemed like a project pick to me , he was a one year starter at Arizona State. I think fans like him because they fall in love with his size. I think his celling is to be a good rotational D-linemen. Also not sure if we drafted him to play NT or the 3 technique behind Geno ? , because were pretty solid at NT with Reader and Tupou as a solid backup. Think we only ran 5 man fronts last year because we had no linebackers don’t see that trend continuing this season.
Reply/Quote
From what I seen Wren doesnt give a all out effort on every snap. One series he can look
Dominant the next he gets Blocked with the greatest of ease. He needs to decide if he wants
To be dominated or dominate. He has the size to control the middle and disrupt the pocket.
He just needs to have the desire
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 10:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not as meh as Finley. Terrible pick. And we traded up to get him...

After you watched Finley play in preseason you were saying Zac should bench Dalton to play him.

So you must have seen some potential, just like Taylor did.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 11:00 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Apparently I'm the only one that liked the pick. He's one of those younger guys that is disruptive, but just needs to figure out how to finish.

I neither loved or hated the pick.  That is the way it is with most 4th rounders.  They are drafted more on potential and you can't really expect much the first year.

All I know about Wren is that he has good size and an explosive first step.  Those are things that can't be coached, but they are not enough to make a good NFL player.

I am just interested to see how he looks this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After you watched Finley play in preseason you were saying Zac should bench Dalton to play him.

So you must have seen some potential, just like Taylor did.

Because they didn’t expose his weak arm in the preseason. It was a bunch of quick and short throws in a completely vanilla offense.

I would hope Zac and his scouts watched more tape on Finley than a handful of preseason games worth though.

Reply/Quote