Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ren Wren's situation
I really don't see why Findley is on this roster . He showed his lack of arm strength last year and was painful to watch. Much rather seen them sign a vet QB on the offseason in case Burrow went down.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 01:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I really don't see why Findley is on this roster . He showed his lack of arm strength last year and was painful to watch. Much rather seen them sign a vet QB on the offseason in case Burrow went down.

They were just a couple moves away from a perfect Offseason as far as I’m concerned. Bringing in Warford or Peters, and signing a decent vet backup like Matt Moore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 01:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I really don't see why Findley is on this roster . He showed his lack of arm strength last year and was painful to watch. Much rather seen them sign a vet QB on the offseason in case Burrow went down.

We’ll just pull a trade or grab someone from the retirement pool if that happens. Finley can still be valuable in the QB room and perhaps might bulk those arms up with some NFL caliber roids....
Reply/Quote
Anything out of Wren would be a pleasant surprise for me. Clarke, Wren, Kareem, probably more that I can't think of off of the top of my head...they all seem to be similar types of players. Some decent measurables, stiff, leverage problems - ill suited to get sacks unless they get a perfect jump off of the snap.  By all means I hope to be eating these words in the future.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 07:47 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Anything out of Wren would be a pleasant surprise for me. Clarke, Wren, Kareem, probably more that I can't think of off of the top of my head...they all seem to be similar types of players. Some decent measurables, stiff, leverage problems - ill suited to get sacks unless they get a perfect jump off of the snap.  By all means I hope to be eating these words in the future.

Clarke was a very good rotational piece and he started to get better with more reps; he was also much better against the run than pass.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 11:57 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: My bad. I thought Dunlap was very limited his rookie year.

He wasn't starting games. He was jumping off the TV screen when he did get on the field though. It was the same with Geno. I remember we played in the Hall of Fame game that summer. I also remember thinking "Who the hell is number 97?". I'd never seen him before, but he stood out right away.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2020, 03:57 PM)jason Wrote: He wasn't starting games. He was jumping off the TV screen when he did get on the field though. It was the same with Geno. I remember we played in the Hall of Fame game that summer. I also remember thinking "Who the hell is number 97?". I'd never seen him before, but he stood out right away.

The fisher price group ! They were fun to watch. Just remember being annoyed that Dunlap didn’t start for the longest time even tho he was our most talented DE. Marvin would always start Robert Geathers instead. Heard Dunlap didn’t practice well and that could be a reason he didn’t start not sure if that was a rumor or the actually truth.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2020, 04:19 PM)lone bengal Wrote: The fisher price group ! They were fun to watch. Just remember being annoyed that Dunlap didn’t start for the longest time even tho he was our most talented DE. Marvin would always start Robert Geathers instead. Heard Dunlap didn’t practice well and that could be a reason he didn’t start not sure if that was a rumor or the actually truth.

While I can see that being the case (it was reported in college and the like that he dogged it a lot, not to mention the red flags out of college were the DUI and his lackadaisical nature, which appears to have completely gone out the window, since 2013 or so), Geathers was always a brilliant edge-setter and if anyone remembers, from 2011-2013, the majority of runs would be the MJ's side, because he was not great at setting the edge (his penetration, motor and tackling on run plays was great, but he let a lot of guys get by him that Geathers did not). It was the Asomugha effect; teams ran less (it appeared, anyways, I may be wrong) towards Geathers and as such, he had less opportunity to show off in the run game.

Once Geathers was hurt for most of 2013, I think the team started to see Dunlap's value more vividly and he's been a starter since then, especially since Dunlap improved tremendously V the run, around 2012 or so.

Just thinking about it, going back 1993, our LDEs have been fantastic against the run, no matter who we threw out there:

- John Copeland (best or second best LDE we've had against the run, in this time period)
- Vaughan Booker (great player V the run, more of a 3-4 guy)
- Bernard Whittington (solid run game guy)
- Duane Clemons (super-underrated player, also a beat V the run)
- Justin Smith (for one season; third best we've had in this time period)
- Bryan Robinson (he could only play the run lol. He was a DT playing out of position, but still great in the run game)
- Geathers (we know)
- Dunlap (has turned out to be the best or second best player V the run, of all these guys, either him or Copeland)

The right side has always been the side to cause a few issues...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think when the Bengals tried to re-sign Michael Johnson before Dunlap, that opened his eyes. MJ took the money TB offered him, and Carlos got the contract, and hasn't looked back.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2020, 03:57 PM)jason Wrote: He wasn't starting games. He was jumping off the TV screen when he did get on the field though. It was the same with Geno. I remember we played in the Hall of Fame game that summer. I also remember thinking "Who the hell is number 97?". I'd never seen him before, but he stood out right away.

I remember the hall of fame game. My favorite  Cris Collinsworth quote happened in that game and it was about Geno. "I'm not saying he is Warren Sapp but he plays just like him".
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2020, 03:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Clarke was a very good rotational piece and he started to get better with more reps; he was also much better against the run than pass.

I forgot that he actually produced for a few years, hitting 6 sacks in his last year with the Bengals.  It just seems like the Bengals have been trying to stick lumbering IDL players on the edge for a long time while the rest of the league is getting smaller and more agile.  Remember Margus Hunt?  His best year as a pro was when he played IDL for the Colts.  You can be successful doing the consistent penetrator deal with guys like Hubbard who can defeat blocks.  It just seems to me that with the way that the league is going you have to prioritize true juice off of the edge as being a premium skill at some point. This team's philosophy has been to load up on corners and DL who look strong enough to stop bruising rushing attacks.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 02:40 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I know this is somewhat tongue in cheek, but if Atkins and Reader can show him some things he may pan out to be a better than average player.

In all fairness to the guy,he did get banged up some and that hurt him for playing time.I believe he will be a force  if given the chance.Where is football???? What a crazy year , I just hate this virus crap, WHO-DEY
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2020, 02:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I forgot that he actually produced for a few years, hitting 6 sacks in his last year with the Bengals.  It just seems like the Bengals have been trying to stick lumbering IDL players on the edge for a long time while the rest of the league is getting smaller and more agile.  Remember Margus Hunt?  His best year as a pro was when he played IDL for the Colts.  You can be successful doing the consistent penetrator deal with guys like Hubbard who can defeat blocks.  It just seems to me that with the way that the league is going you have to prioritize true juice off of the edge as being a premium skill at some point.  This team's philosophy has been to load up on corners and DL who look strong enough to stop bruising rushing attacks.

I actually think Anarumo is focusing more on the interior than the edge.  And I think it will pan out well given who we've drafted and signed over the last 2 years.   

I think his focus in the off season was: 1) tackling, stopping the run, interior pressure, coverage in the middle of the field and DBs who can diagnose and tackle

I like how he's set the new additions to do that.   Including Kareem, who I think will be better than most of us thought - especially setting the edge.

I think the trend in the league is getting pressure in the interior d/t the quick drops of QBs now.   Not allowing the QB to step up will be more of a priority than getting sacks off the edge (though that's never a bad thing).   In today's game, there is less and less time for edge players to get to the QB.
Reply/Quote