Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Renell Wren vs Fletcher Cox
(05-06-2019, 07:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You must have known his assignment on each and every snap as well....

I know that when the quarterback has the ball n is in the pocket most of the time the d linemen job is to sack him unless that has changed recently. This guy would play patty cake most of the time rather than getting to the quarterback.
(05-06-2019, 12:00 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Am I not allowed to disagree with the bengals without some of you Commenting after all it is a forum.  

Sure, man, you are allowed to disagree.  It is not the disagreeing that I hve a problem with.  Instead it is the childish attack on other fans like these comments

(05-06-2019, 12:00 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Your Bengals can never make a bad move and are the best n every player is a hall of gamer is lame but here we are. 
(05-05-2019, 10:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:  Only Bengal fans can’t drool over this pick.

These type of comments make it clear that you are not really wanting to talk about the prospects of one of our draft choices.  Instead you are just trolling.

You also have to realize that you are not just disagreeing with some fans here.  You are also disagreeing with all the professional analyst that rank players.  Again, you are allowed to disagree with experts.  They are not always right.  But you are going to have to provide more than "I watched 15 minutes of film and he is trash".

May I suggest that you link the 15 minutes you watched and point out exactly where he looked like trash?

Or you can just keep on squealing and tossing around insults.  It is your choice.
(05-06-2019, 12:06 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I know that when the quarterback has the ball n is in the pocket most of the time the d linemen job is to sack him unless that has changed recently.   This guy would play patty cake most of the time rather than getting to the quarterback.

Well this shows completely why you should watch more than 15 minutes of film. If you watched any real amount of film you are going to find that he drew a huge amount of double teams. He was eating up blocks which should free up other players to make plays. When he was singled up he hardly played patty cake. True he is raw and should really benefit from NFL coaching.

My problem is not your disagreeing rather than manner in which you do it. Your comments in regard to players and the organization are well really douchebaggish.

Now onto football knowledge. You have block eaters and rushers. Yeah it would be great if every single D lineman walked in with the pass rush traits of Geno Atkins but anyone that has watched football for more than a season can figure out it don't work that way. However, if you have the measurables and are coachable then you certainly can become a rusher.
(05-06-2019, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, there's much more to an interior DL's game than just sack production.

Well that’s just true for most men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-06-2019, 04:48 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well this shows completely why you should watch more than 15 minutes of film. If you watched any real amount of film you are going to find that he drew a huge amount of double teams. He was eating up blocks which should free up other players to make plays. When he was singled up he hardly played patty cake. True he is raw and should really benefit from NFL coaching.

My problem is not your disagreeing rather than manner in which you do it. Your comments in regard to players and the organization are well really douchebaggish.

Now onto football knowledge. You have block eaters and rushers. Yeah it would be great if every single D lineman walked in with the pass rush traits of Geno Atkins but anyone that has watched football for more than a season can figure out it don't work that way. However, if you have the measurables and are coachable then you certainly can become a rusher.

Go to you tube and there’s about 8 full game tape on the guy. I just watched the entire Oregon game. Give me your true assessment of the guy. I get he’s 605 320 n built like a monster but does nothing with it. Let me know Watcha think after watching him play.
This link contains several good looks at Wren, both in his strengths and his weaknesses.  From what I can gather, he's got good burst and drive, plays the run well, could use some coaching on pass rush technique.  Basically, a nice blocker eating NT that has the potential to be much more. Check it out.  They're mostly single play clips, but it's better than what his critic has been offering up.  I'll keep looking, and add new videos to this post as I find them.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2019/1/24/18195831/2019-nfl-draft-film-room-scouting-report-arizona-state-defensive-tackle-renell-wren-senior-bowl

Check out how he just completely blows up the play, at around the 5:02 mark in the Mich. St. game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-06-2019, 06:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This link contains several good looks at Wren, both in his strengths and his weaknesses.  From what I can gather, he's got good burst and drive, plays the run well, could use some coaching on pass rush technique.  Basically, a nice blocker eating NT that has the potential to be much more. Check it out.  They're mostly single play clips, but it's better than what his critic has been offering up.  I'll keep looking, and add new videos to this post as I find them.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2019/1/24/18195831/2019-nfl-draft-film-room-scouting-report-arizona-state-defensive-tackle-renell-wren-senior-bowl

Check out how he just completely blows up the play, at around the 5:02 mark in the Mich. St. game.

Thanks Sunset. Just my opinion here, but when he goes straight ahead, there was nobody that could block him. The center was probably happen when that game ended. When he slanted he got washed out a bit. Maybe needs to do a better job of staying on his feet. I do see the athlete though and think it was good pick in the 4th. Big Man even dropped back in pass coverage a couple times! 
(05-06-2019, 06:11 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Go to you tube and there’s about 8 full game tape on the guy.   I just watched the entire Oregon game.  Give me your true assessment of the guy.  I get he’s 605 320 n built like a monster but does nothing with it. Let me know Watcha think after watching him play.

I type in a players name and vs in YouTube and watch all of our guys. Usually pretty easy to get excited about a guy we drafted. It never happened for me with Wren. 

At least he seems smart in his interviews though.

He seems willing. So hopefully a new assignment and a whole lot of technique will unlock his potential. But im not getting my hopes up and buying the hype on this one. They usually have to be good at football for me to do that.
(05-06-2019, 06:11 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Go to you tube and there’s about 8 full game tape on the guy.   I just watched the entire Oregon game.  Give me your true assessment of the guy.  I get he’s 605 320 n built like a monster but does nothing with it. Let me know Watcha think after watching him play.

LMAO...…….I have watched multiple full game defensive snaps on this young man. Which is why I have commented. He draws consistent double teams (if you watched the Oregon game you should have seen it). The Washington game is non stop double teams. He eats up blockers which is a good thing.

He has fantastic initial burst upfield and never stops working. He pursues very well and can push a pocket. His height should make for difficult throwing lanes. Heck if you watch they even drop him into coverage.

He needs to absolutely develop better hand fighting skills. He absolutely needs to pass rush with more of a plan and purpose. He needs to take better angles to the ball at times.

However, these weaknesses are all things that can be coaches. What cannot be coached are his natural size and athleticism. So yeah I am hopeful that he can continue to develop under NFL coaching. I have not seen anyone state that he is going to be a rookie Pro Bowler or anything of that nature.

So you know I have watched the following...

Oregon
Washington(2018)
Michigan State
Arizona
among others
(05-06-2019, 12:06 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I know that when the quarterback has the ball n is in the pocket most of the time the d linemen job is to sack him unless that has changed recently.   This guy would play patty cake most of the time rather than getting to the quarterback.

Ok, well, if you look at his film you will see a number of plays where he doesn't rush the passer.  He ties up his man and stays at his rush lane and either forces the RB to move outside or he was in position to make a tackle.  A ton of guys on the line with him were getting blown all over the place.  There were many times he was lined up as a true NT as a 3-4 alignment directly over the center.  He would occupy two blockers in many of those cases.  Sure, as many have mentioned on here he needs to use his hands better to help disengage but he sure has the crazy long arms to help with that.  

If you watch his game tape against Michigan State, you will see the snaps where he is in an all-out pass rush and he destroyed the center from Michigan State and was in the QBs face instantly.  One was when MSU was backed up to their own goal line.

The Bengals didn't need another 3-technique as much as they needed a big, strong presence at the NT position.  I am hopeful Wren can be an impact in that spot. 
(05-05-2019, 02:42 PM)Synric Wrote: The biggest issue with Wren he doesn't know what to do when he gets to thr o line he consistent tries to just push through their chest. If the Bengals can teach him some hand fighting skills he will become very good....or he could continue to just try to attack offensive lineman chest and wash out of every play.

Edit: I suggest the staff should tell him to work with Ryan Glasgow and Sam Hubbard this off season who are both very good with their hands.

That is what is nice, this can be taught, the size, strength and athleticism cannot.
Renell Wren, coached properly, will absolutely wreck people. He has innate skills which can’t be taught but once he figures out new ways to get into the backfield he’s going to be a terror. I’m glad he’s in Cincinnati!
(05-06-2019, 06:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This link contains several good looks at Wren, both in his strengths and his weaknesses.  From what I can gather, he's got good burst and drive, plays the run well, could use some coaching on pass rush technique.  Basically, a nice blocker eating NT that has the potential to be much more. Check it out.  They're mostly single play clips, but it's better than what his critic has been offering up.  I'll keep looking, and add new videos to this post as I find them.

This has to be a mistake, we have fans who says Wren is garbage and has no strengths. They watch you tube and one invested a whopping 15 minutes into the evaluation. So, I will expect a correction, it is obvious Wren should never had been drafted.  Sarcasm
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Here is rotoworlds post draft wire up of wren:

Bengals selected Arizona State DT Renell Wren with the No. 125 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.
Wren (6’5/318) started only one season at nose tackle for the Sun Devils, graduating with 14.5 career TFLs and three sacks as a dominant run stopper with pocket-pushing flashes. Only an honorable mention All-Pac 12 pick in 2018, Wren generated hype at the Combine with 78th-percentile SPARQ results, and 30 reps on the bench. Wren confirmed his elite get-off burst with a 1.76 ten-yard split. Wren offers Akiem Hicks-level upside if he can improve his technique to become more consistent down to down.

He can play the run. He can provide an interior pass rush. He was a 4th round pick because he needs to work at n technique and consistency. If he didn’t need to work on those he would have probably been drafted higher.

I like the pick. If he is open to coaching and learns from his line mates I think he’ll be a good player for us

(05-08-2019, 11:00 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Here is rotoworlds post draft wire up of wren:

Bengals selected Arizona State DT Renell Wren with the No. 125 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.
Wren (6’5/318) started only one season at nose tackle for the Sun Devils, graduating with 14.5 career TFLs and three sacks as a dominant run stopper with pocket-pushing flashes. Only an honorable mention All-Pac 12 pick in 2018, Wren generated hype at the Combine with 78th-percentile SPARQ results, and 30 reps on the bench. Wren confirmed his elite get-off burst with a 1.76 ten-yard split. Wren offers Akiem Hicks-level upside if he can improve his technique to become more consistent down to down.

He can play the run.  He can provide an interior pass rush.  He was a 4th round pick because he needs to work at n technique and consistency.  If he didn’t need to work on those he would have probably been drafted higher.

I like the pick.  If he is open to coaching and learns from his line mates I think he’ll be a good player for us

Agreed on all points.  I think the fact that there wasn't a single other defensive player from ASU drafted shows also that he wasn't surrounded by talent, either.  I am not saying he would have been a first round pick if he was lined up next to Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferrell, etc, but it sure wouldn't have hurt him, either.  
(05-08-2019, 11:00 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Here is rotoworlds post draft wire up of wren:

He can play the run. He can provide an interior pass rush. He was a 4th round pick because he needs to work at n technique and consistency. If he didn’t need to work on those he would have probably been drafted higher.

I like the pick. If he is open to coaching and learns from his line mates I think he’ll be a good player for us

I mean it is only one year, he is young and is a great talent for our D-line coach to work with.

(05-09-2019, 07:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed on all points.  I think the fact that there wasn't a single other defensive player from ASU drafted shows also that he wasn't surrounded by talent, either.  I am not saying he would have been a first round pick if he was lined up next to Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferrell, etc, but it sure wouldn't have hurt him, either.  

Yes, if he is getting doubled all the time cause the other DT isn't very good it is hard to overcome.
(05-09-2019, 10:17 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, if he is getting doubled all the time cause the other DT isn't very good it is hard to overcome.

And that argument about not being able to fight off double teams is the same complaint people had about Fletcher Cox coming out of college...and he has been a superb talent in the NFL.