Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Renell Wren vs Fletcher Cox
(05-05-2019, 12:48 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: No argument here.  I watched 15 mins of game tape of Wren he looks like trash.  He couldn’t even get past the RB in a pass rush and even TE Sample Handled Wren with ease.  There was nothing positive of the guy at all.  But I won’t question the Bengals because they have been extremely successful franchise how dare I question a draft pick.  

I was a huge Atkins guy when we drafted him. He dominated during senior bowl week n had two sacks during the game as well against a 1st round pick.

Wren looks awful on tape.

Seriously?  And that's all it took?  LMAO.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Wren strikes me as a high ceiling, low floor kind of guy. On any given play he may blow through the line and cause immediate disruption. On the flipside he may also play too upright and lose balance if his first step doesn't win the rep right off the bat. 

He's a good prospect and was a good pick in the fourth round imo. If he can work on his hands and his pad level he may turn out to be a really good pro. If not then he's still a really big, really strong dude with a dangerous first step. Some defenses thrive on chaos and occasional flashes of brilliance moreso than everyone being solid at everything all the time. 
All the talent in the world. And he didnt do anything respectable in college until his 5th year. With his big ass finally being able to beat sone of the college kids. I get why we took him. We viewed DT as a need and wanted to add at least one guy there. And at that point in the draft there was not much left at DT and he clearly had the most upside.

His floor is rock bottom. I dont know if its effort. Or just not knowing how to play football. Hopefully its technique and we can get him shaped up.

Good bargain on the potential in the 4th
3 career sacks in 4 years of college football. This guys potential is amazing ! What an amazing college career followed by good senior bowl practice. Only Bengal fans can’t drool over this pick.
(05-05-2019, 10:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 3 career sacks in 4 years of college football. This guys potential is amazing !   What an amazing college career followed by good senior bowl practice. Only Bengal fans can’t drool over this pick.

This guy has potential with the right coaching and as a 4th round its a perfect boom or bust prospect. This guy is getting high remarks from every NFL source alot of them have him as a breakout player for the Bengals....You are the only person that says there is no way possible he turns into a decent NFL player.

His issues are coach able his talent is not.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-05-2019, 10:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote:  Only Bengal fans can’t drool over this pick.

Your troll game is getting lame.

Draft analyst had him 3rd-4th round.  No one really cares about your opinion.  
Sometimes a player can really play lights out in college and peak however.
once he gets to the pros hes hit his ceiling.
how many players have we seen drafted by the Bengals that dominated in college
yet once in the NFL they look average...
Reinard Wilson
Cedric Ogubehi
Peter Warrick
etc

Wren will have to realize if he doesnt bring it 100% every play he can be replaced.
but its safe to say his talents have barely been tapped into yet.
(05-05-2019, 11:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Your troll game is getting lame.

Draft analyst had him 3rd-4th round.  No one really cares about your opinion.  

Your Bengals can never make a bad move and are the best n every player is a hall of gamer is lame but here we are. Am I not allowed to disagree with the bengals without some of you Commenting after all it is a forum.

Or should I agree with everything they do and be like Hobson. I liked the draft but guess what I’m not a fan of Sample and Wren. Anyways hope they do well but after watching game tape it’s hughly unlikely.
(05-05-2019, 10:04 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: 3 career sacks in 4 years of college football. This guys potential is amazing !   What an amazing college career followed by good senior bowl practice. Only Bengal fans can’t drool over this pick.

And only a troll can cal out fans for "drooling" over a 4th rounder they hope pans out. 

If you think Bengal fans are the only ones that have high hopes for their draft picks then I recommend you watch another 15 minutes of film. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I think you believe every player in the draft should be a first round prospect and a superstar. You have mentioned Wren got "owned" at the senior bowl but I have shown draft pundits that say other wise most believe he will be the steal of the Bengals 2019 draft because he had a great week.

I'm not saying Rennell Wren will be bad or great but he has the physical tools to put it all together with good coaching. I for one am excited about how he develops in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

The one thing that the guys on Sirius said about him is that "the light" really came on for him under Herm Edwards. It will be very interesting to say the least.
(05-06-2019, 12:00 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Your Bengals can never make a bad move and are the best n every player is a hall of gamer is lame but here we are.  Am I not allowed to disagree with the bengals without some of you Commenting after all it is a forum.  

Or should I agree with everything they do and be like Hobson.   I liked the draft but guess what I’m not a fan of Sample and Wren.  Anyways hope they do well but after watching game tape it’s hughly unlikely.

Im right there with you as far as Wren. With Sample i disagree. He at least looks to know how to play football.
(05-05-2019, 12:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Cox was a first round pick who dominAted in college.  Wren was a 4th rounder who didnt do jack shit in college and I’m still confused why we drafted him.

The question I ask myself watching his college tape against quality opponents like Washington is:  "What talent was around him at ASU?".  I keep coming back to the answer of "not much".  He was double and sometimes triple teamed.  He always appeared to be gap-sound, but the rest of his line would often get washed out.  The few plays he was given a green light to rush the passer, he pancaked the center and showed great power and burst.

He was even asked to drop back in to coverage at times.  He did defend two passes...

Regardless, the point wasn't so much a comparison of accomplishments in college, but their athleticism.  

You must have known his assignment on each and every snap as well....
(05-05-2019, 12:48 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Wren looks awful on tape.

You keep saying that, and then using words like "trash" to describe his play.  Can you provide us with any footage of him looking like "trash"?  I see that someone was able to find footage of him making Bradbury look bad at Sr. Bowl practice..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-05-2019, 12:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Cox was a first round pick who dominAted in college.  Wren was a 4th rounder who didnt do jack shit in college and I’m still confused why we drafted him.

Looking at the DTs taken after him though, there really wasn't a glaring talent sitting there that would have been a better pick for DT. The Bengals really should have picked a DT earlier that had more of a chance to contribute as a rookie rather than needing (at least) a year or two of grooming. 

I'm still sad that Dre'Mont Jones wasn't the pick in the 2nd round. I would have been totally cool with Foster Moreau, Isaac Nauta, Kaden Smith, or Caleb Wilson taken where Wren was taken if Jones was picked in Round 2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Well, the ONLY criteria any of us should be interested in is 15 minutes of senior bowl practice or MAYBE the 40 yard dash times because those two marks are the only determinations of success vs failure. .. right?  No?  Well darn..

IDK, maybe I'm just naive but I have a thing about trusting professional football evaluators over the evaluations of one fan's 15 minutes of random publicly available film.. which to me is a bit like making a determination about a novel based on 3 random words out of the book. .. "OH LOOK,, they used three common words! IF, BUT and AND! NOBODY uses those common words when writing a great novel!" 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(05-06-2019, 01:15 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The one thing that the guys on Sirius said about him is that "the light" really came on for him under Herm Edwards.  It will be very interesting to say the least.

You beat me to it, Edwards was a good pick up for ASU.
(05-06-2019, 07:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You must have known his assignment on each and every snap as well....

3 sacks is pretty much on par with Rashaun Gary and Gary had good players around him.
(05-06-2019, 11:55 AM)sandwedge Wrote: 3 sacks is pretty much on par with Rashaun Gary and Gary had good players around him.

Agree, there's much more to an interior DL's game than just sack production.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23