Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renewable Energy Breakthrough - Large scale Storage
MIT Engineers Develop Groundbreaking Concrete Supercapacitor

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/MIT-Engineers-Develop-Groundbreaking-Concrete-Supercapacitor.html <----link to more detailed information is in this article

One of the problem with renewable energy is sustainability. If a wind farm or solar farm goes down (usually weather related), then sustainability relies on large scale storage or keeping some HC power stations for emergencies. Large scale storage has been a problem because at best estimates with current technologies it would have taken trillions of dollars to store enough energy to run grids for a number of hours vs. days depending on the emergency. The MIT breakthrough discussed above is a huge step in the right direction of mass storage of energy for a renewable future.

Happy Reading.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 06:24 PM)Stewy Wrote: MIT Engineers Develop Groundbreaking Concrete Supercapacitor

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/MIT-Engineers-Develop-Groundbreaking-Concrete-Supercapacitor.html  <----link to more detailed information is in this article

One of the problem with renewable energy is sustainability.  If a wind farm or solar farm goes down (usually weather related), then sustainability relies on large scale storage or keeping some HC power stations for emergencies.  Large scale storage has been a problem because at best estimates with current technologies it would have taken trillions of dollars to store enough energy to run grids for a number of hours vs. days depending on the emergency.  The MIT breakthrough discussed above is a huge step in the right direction of mass storage of energy for a renewable future.

Happy Reading.

I read about this on Friday.  Great concept if they can iron out a recipe that will allow a good charge with minimal impact on the compressive strength of the concrete itself.  I'm eager for them to do some large scale testing.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2023, 02:05 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I read about this on Friday.  Great concept if they can iron out a recipe that will allow a good charge with minimal impact on the compressive strength of the concrete itself.  I'm eager for them to do some large scale testing.

Concrete tech has came a long way since I started in this business twenty years ago. We finished a very large defense project a few years ago that used some crazy mix designs and chemicals I'd never heard of up to that point. Concrete is a pretty complicated cake to bake these days. A lot more than average people realize. The mixes on our project had to achieve crazy compressive strengths, as well as be heat and chemical resistant. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2023, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Concrete tech has came a long way since I started in this business twenty years ago. We finished a very large defense project a few years ago that used some crazy mix designs and chemicals I'd never heard of up to that point. Concrete is a pretty complicated cake to bake these days. A lot more than average people realize. The mixes on our project had to achieve crazy compressive strengths, as well as be heat and chemical resistant. 

Have to be able defend against space based laser blasts and photon torpedos.
Reply/Quote