Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renfro Valley...Kentucky Music Hall of Fame
"The Renfro Valley Barn Dance" was a hugely popular radio show that started in 1937 on WLW but later moved to WHAS in Louisville. It featured "hillbilly music" and in its prime rivaled the success of the Grand 'Ole Opry form Nashville. PBS did a documentary series on American Roots Music called "In the Valley Where Time Stands Still", which is a about the history of the Renfro Valley Barn Dance.

The actual town of Renfro Valley is in southeast Kentucky just off I-75. It is now home of the Kentucky Music Hall of Fame. I always assumed that since Renfro Valley was all about country music then the Hall of Fame was also just about country music. But when looking at the inductees I see Backstreet Boys (Kevin Richardson and Brian Littrell), along with jazz legends Lionel Hampton and Les McCann.

They also have a huge entertainment center in Renfro Valley that features big name concerts (almost entirely country music). It is only about 100 miles from where I live, and I drive by there every time I make a trip to Ohio )I still have a lot of family in Ohio). I am thinking I will check it out sometime. Anyone ever been there?
Reply/Quote
My parents & other family used to go there and camp back in the early 1970's. They enjoyed the music & dancing. Haven't been back since but wouldn't mind driving thru there again myself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote