Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rep Candidate For Michigan Governor Urges Rape Victims To Be 'Heroic' & Give Birth
He seems to be saying the pregnancy is a gift from god and that is why there were raped.

Unreal.

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/29815/gop_candidate_for_michigan_governor_urges_rape_victims_to_be_heroic_and_give_birth

Quote:Kalamazoo chiropractor Garrett Soldano, a Republican political newcomer with visions of unseating Gretchen Whitmer in November, describes himself as a "family man, proud Catholic ... and the author of 'God’s True Law, a parent's guide to raising successful children.'"

He's also an abortion rights opponent who's "always going to fight for life," as he said recently  in a 32-minute video podcast segment of "Face the Facts." Soldano used the right-wing platform to tell why he's against ending pregnancies even in cases of rape.

"They don't know that little baby inside them may be the next president, may be the next person that changes humanity," the novice campaigner tells correspondent April Moss as they appear on screen from remote sites. Moss is known locally as a former CBS Detroit weathercaster who was fired last June after publicly blasting her employer's Covid testing and masking policies.

She nods wordlessly during a 90-second excerpt of the Michigan Republican's remarks, tweeted Monday night by the newsroom at WCPT of Chicago, a progressive talk radio station:

[Image: 286973bd-75f9-497b-9d07-0403be935c1d.jpg]

Update: The video clip has been watched 743,000 times by Tuesday evening and prompts a Washington Post article nine hours after this one.

The Kalamazoo politician tees up the spiel with what he calls "a great personal story from one of my mentors," an adoptee who reportedly learned that his mother was "gang-raped in a subway train station by five guys." The kicker: "She had the courage to deliver him."

Then comes the part where music would swell in a campaign commercial: "How about we start inspiring women in the culture to let them understand how heroic they are and how unbelievable they are. That God put them in this moment. ... We must always, always protect that [fetal] DNA and allow it to have a voice."
On Tuesday morning, the governor tweets:

A day earlier, Soldano's call for "inspiring" pregnant rape victims inspired condemnation from an aide to the governor, as well as others.

Ron Owens of Ferndale, political director the second-term campaign, condemns "absolutely disgusting and dangerous comments from GOP gubernatorial candidate Garrett Soldano." His reaction on Twitter adds: "Unfortunately, he's not the only one with extreme views like this -- every candidate in the GOP primary has said they will undermine a woman's right to choose."

Rodericka Applewhaite, a Michigan Democratic Party senior communications adviser," characterizes Soldano's comments as "beyond outrageous" and adds in a tweet: "Nearly 80% of Michiganders think abortion should be regulated by law or left as a decision between a woman and her doctor. Garrett Soldano is too extreme for Michigan."

Lansing journalist Susan Demas, editor of Michigan Advance, a news site, calls the video "one of the creepiest things I've ever seen."
[Image: garrett_soldano_book_52765.jpg]
The candidate's 2013 book

For Soldano, opposing rape victims' abortions is part of a campaign "guided by our shared conservative values and faith in our Creator," as his site lays out:
Quote:There is no issue more important than protecting the right to life. . . . It's bigger than politics. It's about our fundamental values as human beings.

I believe that it is our duty to protect the God-given right of all of our children. It is our duty to fight for those who can not fight for themselves.

As governor of Michigan, I will do everything in my power to protect life and push back against the abortion lobby in Lansing and President Biden's radical anti-life agenda.

I'm sure if he was raped he would find it a "gift from god" also. Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Maybe god is using the pro life movement to get more children into the adoption system and to stable gay couples.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe god is using the pro life movement to get more children into the adoption system and to stable gay couples.

I'm sensing some sarcasm there.  Cool
Reply/Quote
Fun Fact: The bible actually talks about abortion and basically church sanctions them. Essentially if you were thought to have cheated your husband would take you to a priest and they'd perform a ceremony and if you had been unfaithful the baby would be aborted. Crazy how people who claim to be Christian and support christian values don't even know that abortions were part of their own religion.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 12:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fun Fact: The bible actually talks about abortion and basically church sanctions them. Essentially if you were thought to have cheated your husband would take you to a priest and they'd perform a ceremony and if you had been unfaithful the baby would be aborted. Crazy how people who claim to be Christian and support christian values don't even know that abortions were part of their own religion.

As a Catholic and an American I can attest that people use the Bible to support a lot of stuff that either a) isn't in the Bible or b) is contradicted by the Bible.
Reply/Quote
As a Republican who firmly supports personal freedom we need to force these women in to having the rape babies.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 11:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: "How about we start inspiring women in the culture to let them understand how heroic they are and how unbelievable they are. That God put them in this moment. "

If rapists are part of God's plan, then are we supposed to revise our view of rapists?

If one truly believes, then how does one sort out punishment for people doing God's will,

but violating human laws. 

Perhaps we should just vote in leaders we trust and let God guide them.
Reply/Quote
I think the whole pro-life movement is pretty sickening, but the people I find most despicable are the ones who think abortion should be illegal UNLESS it is rape or incest, in which case they think abortion should be permitted.

Like, talk about saying the quiet part out loud.

I personally think pro-life people have never been about life, but actually care about the consequences of sex. If a woman is irresponsible, has unprotected sex and gets pregnant, being forced through painful and uncomfortable pregnancy and the excruciating pain of child birth is the "cost" of being promiscuous. This line of thinking enforces the puritanical belief that sex should only be between a man and his wife.

Why else would abortion be okay unless rape or incest was the cause of said pregnancy? Is that child less of a life than a child conceived from consensual sex? Of course not. The only difference is, in the former case, the woman is "not at fault" for getting pregnant and thus, does not "deserve" the "punishment" of pregnancy.

There honestly isn't any other explanation.

The problem is, pro-choice people pointed this cognitive dissonance out to pro-life people, hoping they'd say "Oh my God, you're right. I am not fighting for the lives of unborn children, I am fighting for punishing women. I should stop this."

Unfortunately, it seems to have had the opposite effect. Now pro-life people don't even want to allow the exception that proved their bigotry.

Who knew that trying to snap someone out of a flawed belief could only push them even further into it?
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 04:06 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I personally think pro-life people have never been about life, but actually care about the consequences of sex. If a woman is irresponsible, has unprotected sex and gets pregnant, being forced through painful and uncomfortable pregnancy and the excruciating pain of child birth is the "cost" of being promiscuous. This line of thinking enforces the puritanical belief that sex should only be between a man and his wife.

I never quite thought of it in that way, but I did realize while back that the religious right fights against recognizing committed monogamous relationships between gays while simultaneously decrying the gay lifestyle as one of meaningless, disease-spreading sex and debauchery.

Pretty sneaky. 
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with urging women not to have an abortion. Pro-choice right?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 05:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no problem with urging women not to have an abortion.  Pro-choice right?

Agreed, but based on the quotes from this guy who is well to do, doesn't have a vagina, and is running for a position where he has made it clear he will do all he can to reduce the need to even urge women to choose life, I'd say the scoffs are warranted here. 
Reply/Quote