Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rep Suggestion
I would like to make a suggestion regarding the rep system. It has come to my attention that certain posters flood each other with green or red rep for some unknown reason. Red when they're butthurt, and green when they have an awkward boner for someone else. You guys should implement a certain amount of reps that you have to give in between giving a poster one rep and another.

This way all of the mediocre posters don't get the false sense that they're actually good, and those same members can't troll the living shit out of someone whom they are participating in a little spat with.

Seriously. Make the rep function mean something or just get rid of it completely. I know that the number has no real value....but you devalue the "I'm awesome on the Internet" feeling when you let folks abuse it.

Just a suggestion.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I would like to make a suggestion regarding the rep system.  It has come to my attention that certain posters flood each other with green or red rep for some unknown reason.  Red when they're butthurt, and green when they have an awkward boner for someone else.  You guys should implement a certain amount of reps that you have to give in between giving a poster one rep and another.

This way all of the mediocre posters don't get the false sense that they're actually good, and those same members can't troll the living shit out of someone whom they are participating in a little spat with.

Seriously. Make the rep function mean something or just get rid of it completely.  I know that the number has no real value....but you devalue the "I'm awesome on the Internet" feeling when you let folks abuse it.

Just a suggestion.

Rep Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

(12-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I would like to make a suggestion regarding the rep system. It has come to my attention that certain posters flood each other with green or red rep for some unknown reason. Red when they're butthurt, and green when they have an awkward boner for someone else. You guys should implement a certain amount of reps that you have to give in between giving a poster one rep and another.

Seriously. Make the rep function mean something or just get rid of it completely. I know that the number has no real value....but you devalue the "I'm awesome on the Internet" feeling when you let folks abuse it.

Just a suggestion.

so you want to work like the old boards.

Also should disable allowing to rep the same post multiple times.

Or add a Zero Rep for Rep Convos lol
(12-29-2015, 06:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so you want to work like the old boards.

You can't rep the same post twice...you can only "update" your rating....add a comment, in other words.

Seriously though....how has it come to your attention that folks are doing this? Someone is watching that shit?

I don't see the issue....I like being able to rep people when I want instead of "spreading it around"....which I do anyway, but I like being able to do it when I want to do it.

Hell, on the old board, there were guys who gave positive rep just for the hell of it sometimes....

(12-29-2015, 07:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Seriously though....how has it come to your attention that folks are doing this?  Someone is watching that shit?

I don't see the issue....I like being able to rep people when I want instead of "spreading it around"....which I do anyway, but I like being able to do it when I want to do it.

Hell, on the old board, there were guys who gave positive rep just for the hell of it sometimes....

I like being able to rep how/when ever I choose, without restriction.  Sometimes a poster can make several good points in the same thread.  Sometimes the same poster posts several good points in multiple threads, in a close time period. 

I say leave things the way they currently are.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-29-2015, 07:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like being able to rep how/when ever I choose, without restriction.  Sometimes a poster can make several good points in the same thread.  Sometimes the same poster posts several good points in multiple threads, in a close time period. 

I say leave things the way they currently are.

Yep.....my sentiments as well.

(12-29-2015, 07:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Seriously though....how has it come to your attention that folks are doing this?  Someone is watching that shit?

This is the real issue with rep; it is public. There are those that just accidentally go to folks rep pages. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

It's pretty easy to see someone's rep.  You do it the exact same way as looking at your own.  I've accidentally ended up on people's rep page before, in the same way that I've accidentally visited half of your profiles.

Recently, I noticed that a certain member had negative total rep and I wasn't sure why, so I clicked on it, and sure enough, it's the same nerds hitting this poster with it repetitively.  So I clicked on theirs out of curiosity (or "stalking" as the more fragile members put it), and saw that there were a few posters jerking off on each other's faces and bumping each other hundreds of points at a time.  It just seems like a really lame use of the feature and I thought I'd bring it up.

Really, if I was bored or butthurt enough I could just put your rep to the negatives (I don't really know if you'd care or not) by clicking the same button over and over.  It's like pro-bowl voting, but no one wins anything in the end.

It just seems like on the old board, rep was a bit more legitimate.  Not that it ever really matters, but it indicated how well your posts had been received.  Here, it's a completely different animal.
LFG  

(12-29-2015, 11:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: (or "stalking" as the more fragile members put it)

I have corrected my OP to appear less fragile. 

(12-29-2015, 06:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so you want to work like the old boards.

If I were the one pulling the strings I would not allow the same post to be repped repeatedly, and I'd put a gap in where you have to rep a few other people before repping the same person twice.  It would somewhat limit the rep inflation.

It's all just a small suggestion.  I don't expect everyone to agree, it just made sense to me.
LFG  

(12-30-2015, 12:19 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have corrected my OP to appear less fragile. 

It didn't work.
LFG  

(12-30-2015, 12:29 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It didn't work.

Well I tried..

Imagine my shame. 

But on a happier note: I have my own mood. 

(12-29-2015, 11:58 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: It's pretty easy to see someone's rep.  You do it the exact same way as looking at your own.  I've accidentally ended up on people's rep page before, in the same way that I've accidentally visited half of your profiles.

Recently, I noticed that a certain member had negative total rep and I wasn't sure why, so I clicked on it, and sure enough, it's the same nerds hitting this poster with it repetitively.  So I clicked on theirs out of curiosity (or "stalking" as the more fragile members put it), and saw that there were a few posters jerking off on each other's faces and bumping each other hundreds of points at a time.  It just seems like a really lame use of the feature and I thought I'd bring it up.

Really, if I was bored or butthurt enough I could just put your rep to the negatives (I don't really know if you'd care or not) by clicking the same button over and over.  It's like pro-bowl voting, but no one wins anything in the end.

It just seems like on the old board, rep was a bit more legitimate.  Not that it ever really matters, but it indicated how well your posts had been received.  Here, it's a completely different animal.

I see....so it seems you can rep a poster....and not just the posts.  I was unaware of that feature.  Yeah....that needs fixed.  You should only be able to rep posts.  I think it should be private as well.....other than that....I like it as is.

I certainly see your point now that I know all of the glitches with it.  I never was too keen on the public part of it either.  On these issues we agree....but I like being able to rep someone consecutively if they make a couple good posts in the same thread.  Sometimes on the old board....I just gave out random rep to get back to repping someone I wanted to give rep to multiple times.  I wonder how many others did that....if even a few , there's inflated rep right there.

Until you loaded me up....I don't think I had ever gotten "user rep". Feel free to adjust accordingly if you want.....

(12-30-2015, 02:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: I see....so it seems you can rep a poster....and not just the posts.  I was unaware of that feature.  Yeah....that needs fixed.  You should only be able to rep posts.  I think it should be private as well.....other than that....I like it as is.

I certainly see your point now that I know all of the glitches with it.  I never was too keen on the public part of it either.  On these issues we agree....but I like being able to rep someone consecutively if they make a couple good posts in the same thread.  Sometimes on the old board....I just gave out random rep to get back to repping someone I wanted to give rep to multiple times.  I wonder how many others did that....if even a few , there's inflated rep right there.

Until you loaded me up....I don't think I had ever gotten "user rep". Feel free to adjust accordingly if you want.....

I agree that there are certain times that a poster makes back-to-back solid posts that deserve rep, and yes, on the old board, I had spamrepped a few times to be able to give multiple reps to the same person.  The problem here is, you can just rep the same user or post over and over again, or rep every shitty post that someone makes to inflate their number. 

Again, it's not even really a big issue, as the number has no real value.  I just thought that it might legitimize the rep function a bit.

And yes, I agree that it should be private.  I don't care that people would see the rep comments that I receive or give, but others feel threatened and frightened by it.  I certainly don't want others to feel like something bad is going to happen to them because someone can view who gave them rep.
LFG  

(12-30-2015, 10:40 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I agree that there are certain times that a poster makes back-to-back solid posts that deserve rep, and yes, on the old board, I had spamrepped a few times to be able to give multiple reps to the same person.  The problem here is, you can just rep the same user or post over and over again, or rep every shitty post that someone makes to inflate their number. 

Again, it's not even really a big issue, as the number has no real value.  I just thought that it might legitimize the rep function a bit.

And yes, I agree that it should be private.  I don't care that people would see the rep comments that I receive or give, but others feel threatened and frightened by it.  I certainly don't want others to feel like something bad is going to happen to them because someone can view who gave them rep.

Agreed.....the thing is, it's pretty ridiculous that someone would feel that way.  As you said, it's not really even a big issue, and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter one iota.....it's a shame that people can't just abide by the good ol' honor system and use the thing as it was meant to be used, and not get butthurt over some silly shit like this.  Foolish.

As to the bold.....I didn't think you could actually rep the same post over and over, you could only "update" your first rating....or add a comment.  Am I wrong there?

(12-30-2015, 12:28 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If I were the one pulling the strings I would not allow the same post to be repped repeatedly, and I'd put a gap in where you have to rep a few other people before repping the same person twice.  It would somewhat limit the rep inflation.

It's all just a small suggestion.  I don't expect everyone to agree, it just made sense to me.

agree on it being private... I dont always leave a rep message but when i do its for that person.
(12-30-2015, 12:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: agree on it being private...  I dont always leave a rep message but when i do its for that person.

You're just being fragile and afraid. 

(12-30-2015, 03:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're just being fragile and afraid. 

Don't forget sensitive and 90210-level dramatic.
LFG  

(12-30-2015, 12:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: agree on it being private...  I dont always leave a rep message but when i do its for that person.

I disagree. When a poster makes another person look like an idiot, I like repping them and making a comment about that poster, hoping they're trolling the comments.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]