Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rep System Is Broken
I can get rep multiple times from the same user within seconds with no limit skyrocketing my rep and the people at the top can give the most.

When you look at the insane amount of points people have it's clearly just a circle of people passing back and forth and I believe it encourages people to make redundant topics knowing they will get a crap ton of rep from the same people.

If you want the rep system to have any merit this should be fixed imo otherwise it's just a lovefest.
Reply/Quote
I agree that the rep system could use some serious improvements, but do you really think rep is so important to people that they'd create a thread with the main intent of getting rep?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree that the rep system could use some serious improvements, but do you really think rep is so important to people that they'd create a thread with the main intent of getting rep?

Meh, I see nothing wrong with it.  The one thing I didn't like about the old board, was you'd like a poster's response on a thread, rep it, then go to another thread, maybe even another forum, and like something else they had to say, but not be able to rep it.  You either A, cheat them out of rep, or B, go on a rep spree for posts that may not even deserve it just to "spread it around".  I've probably repped everyone on this board numerous times, sometimes in the same thread.  A good post is a good post, why should you have to wait to acknowledge it?

At least you can't rep the same post over and over anymore.  Might need some tweaking here and there.....but overall, I think it's just fine.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Meh, I see nothing wrong with it.  The one thing I didn't like about the old board, was you'd like a poster's response on a thread, rep it, then go to another thread, maybe even another forum, and like something else they had to say, but not be able to rep it.  You either A, cheat them out of rep, or B, go on a rep spree for posts that may not even deserve it just to "spread it around".  I've probably repped everyone on this board numerous times, sometimes in the same thread.  A good post is a good post, why should you have to wait to acknowledge it?

At least you can't rep the same post over and over anymore.  Might need some tweaking here and there.....but overall, I think it's just fine.

Agreed on that. The only thing I don't like is that my rep's default is 50, and I'm too lazy to scroll down and judge each post for how much rep it deserves.

And I spread rep like crazy. I like a lot of posts.  Smirk

So I'm really piling some serious rep on people. I'd lower the value for mods and admins down to more normal levels.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Some post deserve multiple reps.. from the same person. lol..

In the end its just a number on a webpage... Its not like we can redeem them for prizes... *hint**hint*

Cage you complaining you don't have enough rep or too much?

j/k
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed on that. The only thing I don't like is that my rep's default is 50, and I'm too lazy to scroll down and judge each post for how much rep it deserves.

And I spread rep like crazy. I like a lot of posts.  Smirk

So I'm really piling some serious rep on people. I'd lower the value for mods and admins down to more normal levels.

Well, maybe everyone except 'holic.  Let that man have infinity!!!!!!!! Muahaha

Reply/Quote
The rep system isn't perfect, but it seems like it's worked fairly well for 2 1/2 years now. 

It's set up in a way that rewards activity, as far as how much you can give...and quality posts, as far as receiving it.

'Quality post' doesn't necessarily always mean a well thought argument or something like that. It could just be a funny gif, a sarcastic one-liner or just agreeing with someone's overall position. 

Basically, the rep feature is just for fun - a way to say 'I agree, like or respect your post' - and shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's not like you can cash your rep points in for a free toaster.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
I demand 5000 rep points be added to my profile. Slackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 01:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The rep system isn't perfect, but it seems like it's worked fairly well for 2 1/2 years now. 

It's set up in a way that rewards activity, as far as how much you can give...and quality posts, as far as receiving it.

'Quality post' doesn't necessarily always mean a well thought argument or something like that. It could just be a funny gif, a sarcastic one-liner or just agreeing with someone's overall position. 

Basically, the rep feature is just for fun - a way to say 'I agree, like or respect your post' - and shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's not like you can cash your rep points in for a free toasterSmirk

I want an air flow monitor for my smoker dammit! Mad

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 02:56 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I demand 5000 rep points be added to my profile.  Slackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(12-14-2017, 03:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: I want an air flow monitor for my smoker dammit! Mad

[Image: giphy.gif]

Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 01:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The rep system isn't perfect, but it seems like it's worked fairly well for 2 1/2 years now. 

Basically, the rep feature is just for fun - a way to say 'I agree, like or respect your post' - and shouldn't be taken too seriously. It's not like you can cash your rep points in for a free toaster.  Smirk

What you talkin bout, Willis? This rep stuff is serious business. You're just salty I have more than you.  Tongue

Now I'd like to cash in my points for a corn dog and a table dance. And make it snappy!
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with the rep system. I give rep, I receive rep. It works just fine.

Now the Bengals team, they appear pretty darn broken..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Now I'd like to cash in my points for a corn dog and a table dance. And make it snappy!

I'm not much of a dance, but here goes...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3437866]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 06:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nothing wrong with the rep system.  I give rep, I receive rep.  It works just fine.

Now the Bengals team, they appear pretty darn broken..

Really?

Because I've been trying to neg rep you now for years and it doesn't seem to be working.

Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What you talkin bout, Willis? This rep stuff is serious business. You're just salty I have more than you.  Tongue

Now I'd like to cash in my points for a corn dog and a table dance. And make it snappy!

[Image: giphy.gif]

I hope its everything you ever wanted
Reply/Quote

Yep Yep

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 05:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Meh, I see nothing wrong with it.  The one thing I didn't like about the old board, was you'd like a poster's response on a thread, rep it, then go to another thread, maybe even another forum, and like something else they had to say, but not be able to rep it.  You either A, cheat them out of rep, or B, go on a rep spree for posts that may not even deserve it just to "spread it around".  I've probably repped everyone on this board numerous times, sometimes in the same thread.  A good post is a good post, why should you have to wait to acknowledge it?

Says the guy with the most rep points on the Boards.

I remember on the Mothership folks found out one time how to manipulate the rep. I watched some folks get an increase of 20,000 rep points overnight and others get "negged" to death. Back in the day of CP9 versus 85 I was one of the few posters that hitched my wagon to 85. There was another poster that was with me "Kday 777" and she got in a heated back and forth with an established board member. At one point the established member realized that Kday was a female and retorted "I thought you were a guy" to which Kday replied "I thought you were a girl as much as you *****". it was the sickest burn I have ever witnessed in either JN; however, the next day she was at about 10,000 negative rep points.

After this the Board took away rep for a while and folks lost their minds. To me I can take it or leave it and much to my shame I receive much more than I give; however, it seems those that are high up on rep are usually those that share it the most.  

Iwill say I am not a fan of the "tote boards" at the bottom of the homepage: most reps, most posts, ect....I'd like to see that replaced with a "hottest thread" list. Perhaps 1 per sub forum.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 01:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's not like you can cash your rep points in for a free toaster.  Smirk

WTF!! When did that change?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 04:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What you talkin bout, Willis? This rep stuff is serious business. You're just salty I have more than you.  Tongue

A table dance with a corn dog?  Bro
Reply/Quote
Where can I cash my rep points in for street cred?
Reply/Quote