Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rep System Is Broken
(12-13-2017, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree that the rep system could use some serious improvements, but do you really think rep is so important to people that they'd create a thread with the main intent of getting rep?

Human Nature raises its hand and say "Yes!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Also, I think rep/post ratio is a better determiner of a user's post quality than overall rep.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 12:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Says the guy with the most rep points on the Boards.

I remember on the Mothership folks found out one time how to manipulate the rep. I watched some folks get an increase of 20,000 rep points overnight and others get "negged" to death. Back in the day of CP9 versus 85 I was one of the few posters that hitched my wagon to 85. There was another poster that was with me "Kday 777" and she got in a heated back and forth with an established board member. At one point the established member realized that Kday was a female and retorted "I thought you were a guy" to which Kday replied "I thought you were a girl as much as you *****". it was the sickest burn I have ever witnessed in either JN; however, the next day she was at about 10,000 negative rep points.

After this the Board took away rep for a while and folks lost their minds. To me I can take it or leave it and much to my shame I receive much more than I give; however, it seems those that are high up on rep are usually those that share it the most.  

Iwill say I am not a fan of the "tote boards" at the bottom of the homepage: most reps, most posts, ect....I'd like to see that replaced with a "hottest thread" list. Perhaps 1 per sub forum.

I think a lot of it has to do with where you post.  I see guys on here with astronomical post counts, and then realize they most likely post quite a bit in Gameday and PnR.  I remember on the old board, your posts in Gameday weren't counted, but you could still receive rep for it.  PnR typically doesn't see much rep.....especially between two bickering sides if you're on the side with the fewest members.

I never understood the massive rep swings on the old board either.  I recall folks with hundreds of thousands of rep points (think DennyG2).  That stuff was just silly.

Here, you get repped for what you post.  I predominantly post in JN and Klotsch/Movies & Music....and a smidge in smack.  I think I've posted in about every forum at some time or another, but those are the bread and butter.  Also, IIRC, I was the first member here.....and started posting pretty much right away.  As soon as the place opened, I quit the other.  I got a head start.  I will say, that Johnny Cupcakes bloated my count a tad when he repped the crap outta me to prove a point about how you used to be able to rep a post as many times as you wanted to.

I was never a fan of the neg rep.....I think that gets handled pretty well here when someone is way out there in a post or thought.....we're a rather sarcastic bunch.  I can take the rep or leave it, but it's usually a pretty good gauge of who is active, and who generally posts good stuff in a respectful manner.

TLDR; You mad bro? LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: I remember on the old board, your posts in Gameday weren't counted, but you could still receive rep for it. 

It's also that way here now.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I think a lot of it has to do with where you post.  I see guys on here with astronomical post counts, and then realize they most likely post quite a bit in Gameday and PnR.  I remember on the old board, your posts in Gameday weren't counted, but you could still receive rep for it.  PnR typically doesn't see much rep.....especially between two bickering sides if you're on the side with the fewest members.

I never understood the massive rep swings on the old board either.  I recall folks with hundreds of thousands of rep points (think DennyG2).  That stuff was just silly.

Here, you get repped for what you post.  I predominantly post in JN and Klotsch/Movies & Music....and a smidge in smack.  I think I've posted in about every forum at some time or another, but those are the bread and butter.  Also, IIRC, I was the first member here.....and started posting pretty much right away.  As soon as the place opened, I quit the other.  I got a head start.  I will say, that Johnny Cupcakes bloated my count a tad when he repped the crap outta me to prove a point about how you used to be able to rep a post as many times as you wanted to.

I was never a fan of the neg rep.....I think that gets handled pretty well here when someone is way out there in a post or thought.....we're a rather sarcastic bunch.  I can take the rep or leave it, but it's usually a pretty good gauge of who is active, and who generally posts good stuff in a respectful manner.

TLDR; You mad bro? LMAO

I jumped ship the day they said they were closing the old board, and Bengalholic said "Ah hell no".

Funny you mention it, because Johnny Cupcakes neg rep'd me because I posted in a thread that I had never received it. I think the comment he left was "first".

Anyhow... If someone has received multiple rep from me on the same post it's only because I'm always on the desktop version on my phone... My fingers miss sometimes, and I'm not sure I ever gave it the first time... My bad.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 08:21 AM)treee Wrote: Also, I think rep/post ratio is a better determiner of a user's post quality than overall rep.

You're crushin' it then.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree that the rep system could use some serious improvements, but do you really think rep is so important to people that they'd create a thread with the main intent of getting rep?

You guys created this issue when you eliminated negative rep because too many pussbots cried about it.  Rep should be a way to show support or disapproval.  The current system is all carrot and no stick, with a real rep system shitposters will have negative rep and no one will pay attention to them.  As is, everyone is a winner, participants trophies all around!  Bring back red and solve this issue.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 11:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You guys created this issue when you eliminated negative rep because too many pussbots cried about it.  Rep should be a way to show support or disapproval.  The current system is all carrot and no stick, with a real rep system shitposters will have negative rep and no one will pay attention to them.  As is, everyone is a winner, participants trophies all around!  Bring back red and solve this issue.

Eh, I've never really seen the value of neg rep. If you like a post then rep it. If you don't like it, then don't rep it. Not sure why a 3rd option is needed. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think a lot of it has to do with where you post.  I see guys on here with astronomical post counts, and then realize they most likely post quite a bit in Gameday and PnR.  I remember on the old board, your posts in Gameday weren't counted, but you could still receive rep for it. 

I normally post a lot on Gameday. Well, until the alcohol gets the best of me and then I find myself writing, editing and then deleting my responses before I post them, then I just slow down and do more reading than posting. LOL, but I don't think we get post counts in the game day thread. Not sure why that is? I suppose its due to the posts lack a lot of quality and obtain mostly bitching about the teams play. 

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 06:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not much of a dance, but here goes...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3437866]

Quite possibly my favorite SNL sketch ever.

(12-14-2017, 07:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I hope its everything you ever wanted

Hmm... Well it does combine the two. That looks like a male corn dog though. 

(12-15-2017, 01:30 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: A table dance with a corn dog?  Bro

You saying I'm ghey? Nothing wrong with a corn dog and a table dance. Just ask Rodney Carrington:

(12-15-2017, 04:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's also that way here now.

I take credit for that. I did something. Yay!

(12-15-2017, 11:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You guys created this issue when you eliminated negative rep because too many pussbots cried about it.  Rep should be a way to show support or disapproval.  The current system is all carrot and no stick, with a real rep system shitposters will have negative rep and no one will pay attention to them.  As is, everyone is a winner, participants trophies all around!  Bring back red and solve this issue.

I liked neg rep, myself. Helped identify trolls, and some posts deserve it. If most of the board disagrees with your post, it should be reflected. That said, too many people complained.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 11:41 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Eh, I've never really seen the value of neg rep. If you like a post then rep it. If you don't like it, then don't rep it. Not sure why a 3rd option is needed. 

It's your board, your rules.  As I don't think I've ever properly thanked you for the time and effort to recreate the old board, allow me to do so now.  As for red, it's no different than green.  One expresses approval, the other disapproval.  If you're worried about people getting rep nuked then limit the number of times you can rep a particular poster, with either red or green, i.e. you can't rep Jim again until you've given out rep to X number of other posters.  It would prevent both rep nuking and rep circle jerks.

(12-16-2017, 12:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I liked neg rep, myself. Helped identify trolls, and some posts deserve it. If most of the board disagrees with your post, it should be reflected. That said, too many people complained.

This I don't get, let them complain.  Are they shareholders?  Anyone complaining about getting red should be beat with a sack of doorknobs anyways.  If you're so insecure that receiving neg rep hurts your feelings then the internet is not the place for you anyways.  I say bring it back under the rules I suggested above.  Reset everyone's rep to zero in the process, let actual quality posters be identified. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: PnR typically doesn't see much rep.....especially between two bickering sides if you're on the side with the fewest members.

To refute this a bit, I'd say 95% of my rep comes from P&R.  Good points are good points regardless of where they are made.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 02:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's your board, your rules.  As I don't think I've ever properly thanked you for the time and effort to recreate the old board, allow me to do so now.  As for red, it's no different than green.  One expresses approval, the other disapproval.  If you're worried about people getting rep nuked then limit the number of times you can rep a particular poster, with either red or green, i.e. you can't rep Jim again until you've given out rep to X number of other posters.  It would prevent both rep nuking and rep circle jerks.

This I don't get, let them complain.  Are they shareholders?  Anyone complaining about getting red should be beat with a sack of doorknobs anyways.  If you're so insecure that receiving neg rep hurts your feelings then the internet is not the place for you anyways.  I say bring it back under the rules I suggested above.  Reset everyone's rep to zero in the process, let actual quality posters be identified. 

With all do respect brother, isn't complaining about not having the ability to neg rep just as silly as complaining about having/getting it. I'll go back to what I said earlier - the rep feature here is just meant for fun. Hopefully, not many here take internet reps points that seriously. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 02:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With all do respect brother, isn't complaining about not having the ability to neg rep just as silly as complaining about having/getting it. I'll go back to what I said earlier - the rep feature here is just meant for fun. Hopefully, not many here take internet reps points that seriously.  Mellow

It's not my thread, I honestly don't care.  Yes, I have an opinion, and I stated it in the thread, but if nothing changed, rep went away, or everyone had a million rep points it wouldn't bother me one way or another.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: I never understood the massive rep swings on the old board either.  I recall folks with hundreds of thousands of rep points (think DennyG2).  That stuff was just silly.

At some point a year or two before the board dismantled, some of the mods and admins on the old board decided they would give each other like 100,000 rep each if they wanted it. Only a couple (like Denny) did it. I think Joe from Flo might have been gone by that time. I'm not sure what the reason was behind that move. It might have been so that when they gave rep, the rep was worth more point. But some people didn't like it because it looked like they were just pumping themselves up or whatever. Personally, I never really cared.

That said, I do remember the top three normal rep guys from the old board: Philhos, VCU and CloieHokie. VCU and Cloe used to joke about it in the Lounge sometimes and tease each other (they called each other 'rep whores'). Phil still posts here (and we are glad to have him), but I haven't seen Cloe or VCU.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 12:47 PM). Shake n Blake Wrote: Quite possibly my favorite SNL sketch ever.

Hmm... Well it does combine the two. That looks like a male corn dog though. 

You saying I'm ghey? Nothing wrong with a corn dog and a table dance. Just ask Rodney Carrington:

I take credit for that. I did something. Yay!

I liked neg rep, myself. Helped identify trolls, and some posts deserve it. If most of the board disagrees with your post, it should be reflected. That said, too many people complained.

Not not there's anything wrong with that.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 02:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: To refute this a bit, I'd say 95% of my rep comes from P&R.  Good points are good points regardless of where they are made.

Those can be "circle jerks" as well if you're siding with the majority.  There is the issue...both sides are wrong, we need unity, compromise, common sense, and concern for the greater good. Not "sides".  Sorry for the mini rant....but my point would be I doubt many conservative folks get much rep in PnR from what I have read in there.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 02:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With all do respect brother, isn't complaining about not having the ability to neg rep just as silly as complaining about having/getting it. I'll go back to what I said earlier - the rep feature here is just meant for fun. Hopefully, not many here take internet reps points that seriously. Mellow

Any kind of feedback could be spun this way because at the end of the day it's an internet forum so it's all just for fun.

"Why take it seriously? This is all just for fun."

As if the rest of the forum is serious business?

We literally have a rep leaderboard at the bottom of the page but any kind of feedback about rep is written off as counting internet points and taking things too seriously.

I just think if a rep feature is put into place it should have a point and mean something otherwise it's just a way to make people feel special as many times as your heart desires. Maybe change the name from rep to hugs?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2017, 08:21 AM)treee Wrote: Also, I think rep/post ratio is a better determiner of a user's post quality than overall rep.

This is true, but then again, rep is meaningless. It's also inflated by JN, so as a non Bengals fan, I don't even worry about it.

[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 02:09 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This is true, but then again, rep is meaningless. It's also inflated by JN, so as a non Bengals fan, I don't even worry about it.

Just because you are a non Bengals fan, doesn't mean I won't rep you.  I've repped you because you are an Orioles fan.  Since I'm not from Cincy, I'm loyal to color schemes.....Orange and Black, not town.  Screw the Reds!  Pete Rose sucks!

I like the rep system just the way it is.  There is no need to change it. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote