Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing A.J.
At this point, I'd keep Willis and Morgan over Malone and Core....
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 10:55 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Boyd at X is the only real option. Ross can stay at Z.

Boyd surprised me last year, seemed faster and has just looked better this Offseason.

He might be able to play all the spots, sounds like this is what Taylor is wanting all his Receivers to do.

(08-18-2019, 03:22 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Willis or D-Will as the players call him put him in AJ spot leave Boyd where he is no reason to play musical chairs because one guy is out.

Damien Willis does seem to be the one player who fits what AJ does the most.

Just such a deep WR corps, I want to see all of Willis, Morgan and Tate make the team and even Malone.

Can't cut Erickson with his great Punt Returner skills.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 01:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boyd surprised me last year, seemed faster and has just looked better this Offseason.

He might be able to play all the spots, sounds like this is what Taylor is wanting all his Receivers to do.

Damien Willis does seem to be the one player who fits what AJ does the most.

Just such a deep WR corps, I want to see all of Willis, Morgan and Tate make the team and even Malone.

Can't cut Erickson with his great Punt Returner skills.

It was awesome to see Erickson finally take one to the house. That was his first in the NFL wasn’t it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was awesome to see Erickson finally take one to the house. That was his first in the NFL wasn’t it?

Not 100% sure but I thought he had some pretty awesome returns the year he actually won his spot on the team as a college free agent. I seem to remember talking about his after a few pre-season games...
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It was awesome to see Erickson finally take one to the house. That was his first in the NFL wasn’t it?

I think he took one to the house the Preseason of his rookie year which ousted Brandon Tate.

He has had a lot of big Returns though that is for sure. He does a great job of making the catch taking that first step and has great vision. Sure hands as well which we cannot say about Phillips at all at this point. I honestly would like to see Brandon Wilson take a few Kick Returns, he was a really good Returner at Houston.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 05:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think he took one to the house the Preseason of his rookie year which ousted Brandon Tate.

He has had a lot of big Returns though that is for sure. He does a great job of making the catch taking that first step and has great vision. Sure hands as well which we cannot say about Phillips at all at this point. I honestly would like to see Brandon Wilson take a few Kick Returns, he was a really good Returner at Houston.

Erickson looked like a pro on that return. Took two steps upfield to draw the gunner and pursuit to the middle, then broke it right and up.

You break out that tape to show kids how to return.

So I agree that he stays. You cut this guy and he ends up in NE the next day.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I don't think that we can simply "replace" AJ Green with anyone on our current roster, that would take drafting another gifted phenom.  Now, if you're speaking more to how do the Bengals cover his absence, then that takes a significant change in how the offense operates.  

I do feel like there are enough competent receivers to allow the Bengals to have ample weapons.  However, it will likely entail having a healthy and engaged John Ross and Tyler Eifert to accomplish this feat.  Boyd, Tate and Erickson have shown that they can amply take up slack and move the sticks, with Boyd already having shown some big play potential.

As much as we are talking about replacing Green in the starting 3-wide package, I can't help but think Ross might not be out there on the first snap.  As much as I am (still) looking forward to seeing him in this offense, I worry that he won't know what plays and will make costly mistakes out there.  I think there is a good chance Cody Core lines up at X, with Boyd at slot, and Tate at AJ's position.   

I don't think they will move Boyd as (at least last year) it seemed that the slot was the #1 target.  AJ would run from the slot at times as well and was targeted out of it successfully a number of times.  

I wonder if they won't really try to showcase Malone in this third preseason game and offer him in a trade for a late round pick next year.  You could say that a team could just wait for him to go to the PS (not sure he is eligible) or released, but this way they are 100% certain to get him.  Maybe the WR-deficient Redskins?  

I know everyone seems down on Core, but the extra work he put in during the offseason seems to have paid off, and he is one of the better blocking WRs on the team, and plays very well on special teams.  

Starting the season with 7 WRs due to AJ's injury:

AJ
Boyd
Ross
Erickson
Tate
Willis
Core

PS:  Morgan Jr

I could also see Core getting released and Morgan Jr making the squad.  Dude doesn't wow you but is very consistent and seems to have a high football IQ.  

Wonder if they could carry 8 WRs to start (with AJ out) and only carry 3 TEs since they aren't supposed to be quite as big a part of this offense as the WRs? 

Or could Tate count as a WR/TE?
Reply/Quote
Does Zac not like Erickson?I wonder because Phillips has been 1st team punt returner and Erickson has yet to play with the 1's. and when he scored the td Zac didnt congratulate him on the sidelines.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 11:17 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Does Zac not like Erickson?I wonder because Phillips has been 1st team punt returner and Erickson has yet to play with the 1's. and when he scored the td Zac didnt congratulate him on the sidelines.

I kind of assumed that they would be playing him in the slot on offense at times so they were looking for other punt returners...but you make some compelling observations.
Reply/Quote