Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Bengals Making Changes to Strength and Conditioning Staff
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/report-bengals-making-changes-to-strength-and-conditioning-staff/

Hope this is true. It looks like a clean sweep and Taylor's getting to choose his entire staff, even strength and conditioning.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes

Bad strength and conditioning leads to injuries, which we were devestated with last year. This is more important than some may realize. Great move.

Reply/Quote
Wow, I never realized how long Friday and Morton were with ML. But this is good news. I was wondering if they were going to keep this portion of the staff.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
When nearly your entire roster is put on IR, you have to point the finger somewhere. Conditioning is overlooked by the majority. It’s actually very important that we don’t neglect it if you want your guys ready to play each week.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:40 AM)Takedown Wrote: When nearly your entire roster is put on IR, you have to point the finger somewhere. Conditioning is overlooked by the majority. It’s actually very important that we don’t neglect it if you want your guys ready to play each week.

Last year was one of the worst. But we’ve had issues keeping the team healthy prior to that as well.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:42 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Last year was one of the worst. But we’ve had issues keeping the team healthy prior to that as well.

It really makes you wonder what they did different last year compared to the previous years? It’s possible it was coincidence, but somehow I doubt that.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:29 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/report-bengals-making-changes-to-strength-and-conditioning-staff/

Hope this is true.  It looks like a clean sweep and Taylor's getting to choose his entire staff, even strength and conditioning.

Good to hear from you, Bonnie.

I am glad for the change, also, as it is removing almost all the pieces from the old staff.  It is an opportunity to create a whole new culture.  I look at some of the Bengals over the years, the apparent lack of conditioning, the half-assing routes if it wasn't coming their way, etc. and it always made me furious.  

As a former D1 scholarship athlete, we were THRILLED to have our education paid for.  Most of us still had summer jobs and off-season jobs during school to pay for all the food we ate above and beyond what the school included in the plan, but we were so very grateful just to be able to graduate without a ton of debt. 

These guys are paid millions of dollars and often seem to approach their job with an "I already made it" mentality.  Here is to hoping the new regime gets better conditioned, stronger, tougher athletes out of this team.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:44 AM)Takedown Wrote: It really makes you wonder what they did different last year compared to the previous years? It’s possible it was coincidence, but somehow I doubt that.

This is reaching at best, but every year the kids that come into the league are stronger and faster. They hit harder and play aggressive. So if the Bengals strength in conditioning program was the same as it’s been for many years, we decline each year against what we will be facing, even though it appears we are as ready as we’ve always been.

On another reaching thought, Marvin’s conservative coaching probably effected the entire team from coaches to kicker and strength and conditioning.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good to hear from you, Bonnie.

I am glad for the change, also, as it is removing almost all the pieces from the old staff.  It is an opportunity to create a whole new culture.  I look at some of the Bengals over the years, the apparent lack of conditioning, the half-assing routes if it wasn't coming their way, etc. and it always made me furious.  

As a former D1 scholarship athlete, we were THRILLED to have our education paid for.  Most of us still had summer jobs and off-season jobs during school to pay for all the food we ate above and beyond what the school included in the plan, but we were so very grateful just to be able to graduate without a ton of debt. 

These guys are paid millions of dollars and often seem to approach their job with an "I already made it" mentality.  Here is to hoping the new regime gets better conditioned, stronger, tougher athletes out of this team.  

So well said. I think there was a lot of "half-assing it," and I think a lot of the coaches half assed it for years. Hopefully, Taylor is the guy who can rebuild.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is reaching at best, but every year the kids that come into the league are stronger and faster. They hit harder and play aggressive. So if the Bengals strength in conditioning program was the same as it’s been for many years, we decline each year against what we will be facing, even though it appears we are as ready as we’ve always been.

On another reaching thought, Marvin’s conservative coaching probably effected the entire team from coaches to kicker and strength and conditioning.
It sounds more likely than just a coincidence... That, or the ice cream truck was there every day before practice and they kept skipping stretches.

Hey, you could be on to something there.... I couldn't imagine putting all of that physical energy into the beginning of a game, then cooling down with a comfortable lead and then playing catch up in the end because you played the conservative hand at the wrong time.

Could be a list of reasons I'm sure.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:40 AM)Takedown Wrote: When nearly your entire roster is put on IR, you have to point the finger somewhere. Conditioning is overlooked by the majority. It’s actually very important that we don’t neglect it if you want your guys ready to play each week.

Yes, but blaming it on the strength and conditioning coaches is an oversimplification. These coaches cannot make the players work out on their own during the off season, and the practice rules put in place by the Players Association limiting padded practices is a huge culprit here. To toughen the soft tissue and get into "football shape", you have to take hits in practice, there is no other way. They keep making those practices more and more limited, and injuries keep going up because of it.
Reply/Quote
I think that bringing in a new S&C staff was one of the best initial things that Marvin did. Like everything else though, things get stale.

Can they be blamed for the injuries? Not totally. Maybe at some level? Hard to say...as you'd have to examine all the injuries.

Like AJ Green hurting his toe can't be blamed on S&C.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that bringing in a new S&C staff was one of the best initial things that Marvin did. Like everything else though, things get stale.

Can they be blamed for the injuries? Not totally. Maybe at some level? Hard to say...as you'd have to examine all the injuries.

Like AJ Green hurting his toe can't be blamed on S&C.

Neither can Eifert's leg break, all the knee injuries, or Dalton's hand. About the only injury I think we can lay on the coaches would be hamstring injuries....
Reply/Quote
Exactly what Pistons said.

People have been complaining about S&C since 2005, up until last year and guess what? maybe 3 of those 14 years, did we compete for most injured team in the league.

They were perfectly fine and people get their panties in a bunch over S&C, when injuries like AJ, Glasgow, Eifert, Burfict, etc., are all completely based on what happens on the field.

We had a horrible year, luck-wise; that's it. Nothing else to it.

If our guys were cramping up in the middle of EVERY game, couldn't bench press the team bus or something along those lines, then blame S&C, but people have to realise that things aren't black and white.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I firmly believe that they need to implement a required yoga program for the entire team. Flexibility goes a long way to minimize a lot of injuries and Whitworth really hit his peak as a player when he lost weight and got a yoga routine.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:29 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/report-bengals-making-changes-to-strength-and-conditioning-staff/

Hope this is true. It looks like a clean sweep and Taylor's getting to choose his entire staff, even strength and conditioning.

Great news, really like how Taylor is changing the entire culture here and like Harley said this is bigger than some might think.

Cannot win the whole thing if you are decimating by injuries like we were last year.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:33 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Exactly what Pistons said.

People have been complaining about S&C since 2005, up until last year and guess what? maybe 3 of those 14 years, did we compete for most injured team in the league.

They were perfectly fine and people get their panties in a bunch over S&C, when injuries like AJ, Glasgow, Eifert, Burfict, etc., are all completely based on what happens on the field.

We had a horrible year, luck-wise; that's it. Nothing else to it.

If our guys were cramping up in the middle of EVERY game, couldn't bench press the team bus or something along those lines, then blame S&C, but people have to realise that things aren't black and white.

I was thinking the same thing, alot of our injuries really had nothing to do with S&C. 
Reply/Quote
Thank God
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:35 AM)Okeana Wrote: I firmly believe that they need to implement a required yoga program for the entire team.  Flexibility goes a long way to minimize a lot of injuries and Whitworth really hit his peak as a player when he lost weight and got a yoga routine.

Very good point. Flexibility is huge now days
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:35 AM)Okeana Wrote: I firmly believe that they need to implement a required yoga program for the entire team. Flexibility goes a long way to minimize a lot of injuries and Whitworth really hit his peak as a player when he lost weight and got a yoga routine.

For further proof, read up on Jake the Snake Roberts and Scott Hall and how DDP Yoga had turned their lives around.

https://ddpyoga.com/
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote