Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Bengals Making Changes to Strength and Conditioning Staff
Bone breaks and ACL Tears (Along with other ligament injuries) are not preventable, the idea we blame this things on training staffs is comical. They have done a ton of research at the NFL level and if there was a way to reduce these things it would be happening, however the number of ACL tears continue to steadily increase. The general belief is the athletes are simply too big and fast now and the body is not adept to controlling these forces.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:29 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/report-bengals-making-changes-to-strength-and-conditioning-staff/

Hope this is true.  It looks like a clean sweep and Taylor's getting to choose his entire staff, even strength and conditioning.

Looks like he's starting to fix everything wrong with this organization.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Joey Boese of the Univ of Illinois is the new S&C coach, He's another of Zac's Texas A&M connections.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:36 PM)pally Wrote: Joey Boese of the Univ of Illinois is the new S&C coach,  He's another of Zac's Texas  A&M connections.

You can now call Cincinnati College Station North.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
When you lose one season to injuries that is luck. When it is multiple seasons in close proximity then you have to look at the training regardless of the injury cause. Even bone breaks can happen because of bad conditioning and training because the wrong training can reduce the ability of the player to dodge or avert the contact in the first place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Bone breaks and ACL Tears (Along with other ligament injuries) are not preventable, the idea we blame this things on training staffs is comical. They have done a ton of research at the NFL level and if there was a way to reduce these things it would be happening, however the number of ACL tears continue to steadily increase. The general belief is the athletes are simply too big and fast now and the body is not adept to controlling these forces.

wrong.  flexibility can prevent a lot of ACL injuries because what bends doesn't break.

https://www.yogauonline.com/yogau-wellness-blog/yoga-for-pain-relief-healthy-knees-how-yoga-can-help-prevent-acl-injuries

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:33 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Exactly what Pistons said.

People have been complaining about S&C since 2005, up until last year and guess what? maybe 3 of those 14 years, did we compete for most injured team in the league.

They were perfectly fine and people get their panties in a bunch over S&C, when injuries like AJ, Glasgow, Eifert, Burfict, etc., are all completely based on what happens on the field.

We had a horrible year, luck-wise; that's it. Nothing else to it.

If our guys were cramping up in the middle of EVERY game, couldn't bench press the team bus or something along those lines, then blame S&C, but people have to realise that things aren't black and white.

Well said.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 02:11 PM)Okeana Wrote: wrong.  flexibility can prevent a lot of ACL injuries because what bends doesn't break.

https://www.yogauonline.com/yogau-wellness-blog/yoga-for-pain-relief-healthy-knees-how-yoga-can-help-prevent-acl-injuries

Wrong. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-hunter-henry-acl-nfl-ota-0523-story.html

"Any sort of ACL prevention program, which can be effective to some extent for the untrained athlete and females, have not been proven effective in the NFL. And in the course of their regular workouts, NFL athletes already perform much of the muscle training included in such prevention programs."

In terms of the NFL they have studied these programs and while they have been incorporated to basically all strength and conditioning programs they have shown no effect on reducing the number of ACL tears in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:33 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Exactly what Pistons said.

People have been complaining about S&C since 2005, up until last year and guess what? maybe 3 of those 14 years, did we compete for most injured team in the league.

They were perfectly fine and people get their panties in a bunch over S&C, when injuries like AJ, Glasgow, Eifert, Burfict, etc., are all completely based on what happens on the field.

We had a horrible year, luck-wise; that's it. Nothing else to it.

If our guys were cramping up in the middle of EVERY game, couldn't bench press the team bus or something along those lines, then blame S&C, but people have to realise that things aren't black and white.

Yeah your opinion can satisfy you but look at the league and how bad are injuries accumulated this year some heads have to roll.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: Wrong. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-hunter-henry-acl-nfl-ota-0523-story.html

"Any sort of ACL prevention program, which can be effective to some extent for the untrained athlete and females, have not been proven effective in the NFL. And in the course of their regular workouts, NFL athletes already perform much of the muscle training included in such prevention programs."

In terms of the NFL they have studied these programs and while they have been incorporated to basically all strength and conditioning programs they have shown no effect on reducing the number of ACL tears in the NFL.

So let's start by the fact that the reference you give doesn't have one mention of Yoga or stretching.  I will quote the most relevant part of this article

"The vast majority (70-80%) of ACL tears happen without direct contact, as was reportedly the case with Henry and Worrilow on Tuesday.

As players get bigger/faster/stronger, the ACL stays the same size. Without contact, there is a premium on speed, precision and tempo in practice. When a sharp cut is made and the foot sticks in the ground — much like a ski binding not releasing — the injury happens."

Yoga is great for not only building flexibility but building the muscle groups around the knee.  Again a Guy like Whitworth who had knee issues credits the performance and longevity of his career specifically to Yoga.  This practice is catching on more and more every day with some teams developing their own programs 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/17/tackle-this-nfl-players-benefit-from-regular-yoga-practice/37513937/

Aside from health benefits it also helps develop focus, body positioning, stance, lean, and most importantly working lesser used muscle groups for functional movement.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:29 PM)Okeana Wrote: So let's start by the fact that the reference you give doesn't have one mention of Yoga or stretching.  I will quote the most relevant part of this article

"The vast majority (70-80%) of ACL tears happen without direct contact, as was reportedly the case with Henry and Worrilow on Tuesday.

As players get bigger/faster/stronger, the ACL stays the same size. Without contact, there is a premium on speed, precision and tempo in practice. When a sharp cut is made and the foot sticks in the ground — much like a ski binding not releasing — the injury happens."

Yoga is great for not only building flexibility but building the muscle groups around the knee.  Again a Guy like Whitworth who had knee issues credits the performance and longevity of his career specifically to Yoga.  This practice is catching on more and more every day with some teams developing their own programs 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/17/tackle-this-nfl-players-benefit-from-regular-yoga-practice/37513937/

Aside from health benefits it also helps develop focus, body positioning, stance, lean, and most importantly working lesser used muscle groups for functional movement.  

I'm going to side with the expert orthopedic surgeon here who says you CAN NOT reduce ACL injuries in any meaningful way through "strengthing and stretching". As many of these things have been going on for a while now and the league ACL injuries have not decreased at all, and at times have ticked higher in last 5 years.

Side note if you stretch a ligament you just sprained it, that is in fact what a sprain is so no "stretching" would help your ligaments. Ligaments aren't muscles which is part of the issue. You can make them stronger through exercise and as I said you don't want to stretch them.

So coming full circle on my argument....blaming the training staff for torn ACL's or broken bones is comical.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:09 PM)Ghost of ikcey Wrote: Yeah your opinion can satisfy you but look at the league and how bad are injuries accumulated this year some heads have to roll.

I think a lot of it is the rule changes. Guys don't want to do helmet to helmet hits so they go low and hurt knees or lead with their shoulders and hurt those.
Reply/Quote
Only way to reduce ACL injuries is to go back to playing on grass.....
Reply/Quote
Bringing in new strength and conditioning staff members is great and can only help, but it doesn't do as much good if they don't have much good equipment to work with the players.

I still wish there was a way to tell Mike Brown to bring the players to my friend's place- Griffin Elite- over here in Northern Kentucky because they have all the weights and training equipment, indoor practice facility, and rehab equipment.

I know Pacman has been there and a few other players (I think) and I'm pretty sure Reds players go there.

It has everything they could ever want and more.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 03:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Bringing in new strength and conditioning staff members is great and can only help, but it doesn't do as much good if they don't have much good equipment to work with the players.

I still wish there was a way to tell Mike Brown to bring the players to my friend's place- Griffin Elite- over here in Northern Kentucky because they have all the weights and training equipment, indoor practice facility, and rehab equipment.

I know Pacman has been there and a few other players (I think) and I'm pretty sure Reds players go there.

It has everything they could ever want and more.

Do they have a bar?

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 03:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Do they have a bar?

Yes.  A fruit juice bar.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 05:08 PM)McC Wrote: Yes.  A fruit juice bar.

good...they have wine at least  Wink

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I live in the Champaign area and know nothing about this guy except Illinois football is terrible unwatchable garbage.
Reply/Quote
They just totally revamped the weight room at PBS about 2 years ago Brad....
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 05:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They just totally revamped the weight room at PBS about 2 years ago Brad....

They also have Ignition Athletics in Mason, OH ...I believe Mike Brown is one of their big investors too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote