Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Bengals Making Changes to Strength and Conditioning Staff
(02-09-2019, 05:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They just totally revamped the weight room at PBS about 2 years ago Brad....

And the Bengals are the only team to have an in-house MRI scanner.  It's not a matter of having the right equipment, as much as just time to get someone new running the Strength and Conditioning program.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 06:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And the Bengals are the only team to have an in-house MRI scanner.  It's not a matter of having the right equipment, as much as just time to get someone new running the Strength and Conditioning program.

Yep. Things were stale in the entire organization. Culture change.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:44 AM)Takedown Wrote: It really makes you wonder what they did different last year compared to the previous years? It’s possible it was coincidence, but somehow I doubt that.
When you don't hold guys accountable for their play on the field you most likely don't do it in the weight room as well. Last year might have been because Marvin lost control of the team the year before.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 08:35 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: When you don't hold guys accountable for their play on the field you most likely don't do it in the weight room as well. Last year might have been because Marvin lost control of the team the year before.

When a team undergoes a complete makeover, a change of culture;  That must be all inclusive to all that hold onto the old ideals and ways of doing things.  The Strength and Conditioning department is no exception.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When a team undergoes a complete makeover, a change of culture;  That must be all inclusive to all that hold onto the old ideals and ways of doing things.  The Strength and Conditioning department is no exception.
I am glad to see them gone wanted to see the special teams coach gone too they committed a ton of flags.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Bone breaks and ACL Tears (Along with other ligament injuries) are not preventable, the idea we blame this things on training staffs is comical. They have done a ton of research at the NFL level and if there was a way to reduce these things it would be happening, however the number of ACL tears continue to steadily increase. The general belief is the athletes are simply too big and fast now and the body is not adept to controlling these forces.

They are still compiling the data.

Some of the predominant theories are the artificial turfs and lack of bracing as the biggest culprits in some of the injuries we see.  Artificial turf does not give way the same way sod does, which changes the stress on the lower extremities.  Additionally players are hesitant to wear bracing and reinforced cleats due to fear that they will lose mobility, agility, or speed as a result.  Linemen are required to wear knee braces in college, and upon reaching the pros ditch the braces thinking they will gain an edge.  Suddenly they plant their foot in field turf and there is nothing to help relieve the stress in the knee and they blow it out.  The cleats many receivers wear are super lightweight because they have no support, and not surprisingly those who wear the super flexible, lightweight models suffer more injuries of the foot than those who wear a more rigid model.

Your statement that the injuries are not preventable is not correct in many instances, but you are correct that it is often not the fault of the training staffs.  The blame should be falling on the players who elect to forego the equipment that can help prevent the injuries they have sustained.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 12:21 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: They are still compiling the data.

Some of the predominant theories are the artificial turfs and lack of bracing as the biggest culprits in some of the injuries we see.  Artificial turf does not give way the same way sod does, which changes the stress on the lower extremities.  Additionally players are hesitant to wear bracing and reinforced cleats due to fear that they will lose mobility, agility, or speed as a result.  Linemen are required to wear knee braces in college, and upon reaching the pros ditch the braces thinking they will gain an edge.  Suddenly they plant their foot in field turf and there is nothing to help relieve the stress in the knee and they blow it out.  The cleats many receivers wear are super lightweight because they have no support, and not surprisingly those who wear the super flexible, lightweight models suffer more injuries of the foot than those who wear a more rigid model.

Your statement that the injuries are not preventable is not correct in many instances, but you are correct that it is often not the fault of the training staffs.  The blame should be falling on the players who elect to forego the equipment that can help prevent the injuries they have sustained.

I’m just saying what the orthopedic surgeon who has been the team doctor for NFL teams said. My point in all of this was simply that you can’t “train” your ACL into being better like was the premise of the thread.
Reply/Quote