Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals are interested in Warford
Love how people take seriously rumors from some bogus account.
Reply/Quote
If we "get" him, this will really now shift the pressure on the coaches. I wasn't too happy with coach calling the offense plays.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 09:46 PM)Mobster Wrote: Love how people take seriously rumors from some bogus account.

I've just seen folks speculate on how good it would be if true. I've not seen anyone support the validity of the link. Have you seen something in this thread I have not or are you just saying?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 09:46 PM)Mobster Wrote: Love how people take seriously rumors from some bogus account.

A lot of chatter about this possibility outside this forum.

Reply/Quote
I'm not against this signing at all, but this is CLEARLY a BS account, like the morons during draft time.

This also doesn't mean that he ISN'T being looked at, but consider the source, people...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 09:15 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: He's better then XSF and Mike Jordan, that's enough for me. 

XSF graded out as a better pass protector last year. Worford a much better run blocker.
Reply/Quote
The account appears to be something related to sports betting, and I sincerely doubt it has any inside information of note. It does have over 141k followers, including Jason LaCanfora and Adam Schefter, so it's not "bogus" in the same way that Profootball411 account was bogus. But really, anybody could've guessed that those 5 teams were the most interested without having any real information. Just Google "Larry Warford interested in" and stories come up, posted mostly by fans, about whether those teams should sign him or not. So it's a sports betting account that passed off some obvious possibilities as a "report." A bogus report from a glitzy, click-baity type of account.

So a few other responses to this thread, regardless of the legitimacy of the "report." Any deal Warford signs will likely be a 1 year deal, so I don't think it takes OL out of next year's draft.

Also, I doubt he'll get 7 million, because any team could've traded for him at that and declined to do so. I think he'll get like 3-4 million, and then a bunch of incentives where he can get close to that 7 million figure. We could make some of those incentives weigh-in related, like I believe we did with Andre Smith. He was in the 330s coming out of college, but cut down to 317 with Detroit (where Callahan and Golden both coached at the time) and was much more mobile. It sounds like with New Orleans he ballooned up again - and if you look at some youtube Saints video he does look fat and slow - which got him cut. A one year prove it deal where he has to be on the active 46 and under 320 lbs to make his money, well that would be sweet.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 09:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Plug him in at RG, let XSF and Jordan compete at LG. I’d go ahead and cut Hart to free up the money, let Johnson and Adeniji compete at RT.

Having 2 OT’s with 0 NFL experience protecting our franchise QB is a scary thought...

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 10:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Having 2 OT’s with 0 NFL experience protecting our franchise QB is a scary thought...

Fred has a few snaps under his belt.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 11:00 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Fred has a few snaps under his belt.

Very few, and if the 6th round kid won the job we’d have 2 guys at OT protecting Burrow that have none.

Plus our depth at OL is terrible. And for whatever reason the team seems to love Hart. I just don’t any scenario where he gets cut.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 09:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's do it!  What are you waiting for??!

We act like the team has the decision... the player has the decision.. if 5 teams are looking at him.. he is going to weigh any offers first from all the teams.. 
Reply/Quote
Of the 5 teams. though I don;t know cap space for the Teams.. Texans and Buffalo should have a clear advantage.. they are the only winners of late of the teams.. Buffalo loves to run the ball so that is a plus for the and Texans have a dynamic QB..

Im going to pick Texans sign him
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 11:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  And for whatever reason the team seems to love Hart. I just don’t any scenario where he gets cut.

Agreed. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2020, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Of the 5 teams. though I don;t know cap space for the Teams.. Texans and Buffalo should have a clear advantage.. they are the only winners of late of the teams.. Buffalo loves to run the ball so that is a plus for the and Texans have a dynamic QB..

Im going to pick Texans sign him

Ok, so bearing in mind that the report itself is almost definitely bogus, but being based on dot-connecting speculation might accidentally bear some accuracy, let's look at the other teams' situations: 

Dolphins - hard for me to believe. I think every FA gets connected to the Dolphins because they have lots of cap room. But they signed Ereck Flowers at LG in free agency, and drafted Rob Hunt as a RG in the second round this year. Now perhaps they don't think Hunt is ready, but they do have other bodies like Michael Dieter available. 

Texans - Their OL is basically in place, and they have to extend Deshaun Watson. The issue is that their RG, Zach Fulton, is overpaid at something like 7 million. From what I can tell he's the lightning rod of scorn for fans, like our version of Bobby Hart. Maybe they want to cut him, and would have no dead money in doing so, and sign Warford. But last I knew the Texan ran a lot of outside zone, which wouldn't play to Warford's strengths, but maybe that has changed. 

Jets - so they signed a bunch of mediocre interior linemen this year, I guess hoping to sort it out in camp. Warford would be an upgrade. They're also rumored to be cutting their long time RG Brian Winters, who also seems to earn their fans' scorn a bit, which would clear the cap room to sign Warford. But I don't know - it doesn't look like a clear and obvious fit to me. Alex Lewis is locked in at one guard spot and Van Roten probably at the other. 

Buffalo - Yeah that could happen. The Bills never met a free agent they didn't like. 

Titans seem like a fit too. Not sure why that wasn't mentioned. 
Reply/Quote
Good replacement for Boling whom we shouldn't have lost to early retirement
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:10 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Good replacement for Boling whom we shouldn't have lost to early retirement

WhoDey2 Agreed. I think there was something going on there that we weren't privy to... Hmm  
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Torn on this one.

I think he IS an upgrade, but does have red flags. Slow, not a good pass protector. Not real mobile. Elite run blocker.

I do not know enough about him, or our scheme to know if he is a schematic fit.

I do know I'd prefer a T to a G. Or a T and a pass catching TE.

In terms of cap, even at $7 mil (and I hope he'd be cheaper), we could sign him, extend Mixon & AJ, & still have $8-10 mill in space pretty easily. Sitting around $17 mil in space after signing the rookies. Worford at $7 takes us down to $10. But we probably cut Redmond as a result, freeing up more than $2 mil. Back at $12 or so. If we get a long term deal with AJ done, it likely comes in below $17.8 mil per year. Just spitballing, but say $13.8. That ticks us up to $16 million. Mixon makes just under $2 mil now, say he gets a $7 mil bump to $9 mil per. That leaves us $9 million worth of room. Give or take a mil or two. If you want to free up another mil or so, let Sims walk and go with 2 of Brown/Rose/Swann as our 5th-6th CBs.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 12:55 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Agreed. I think there was something going on there that we weren't privy to... Hmm  

No mystery at all, Boling was having back issues. Ever have back issues? They are not pleasant. He chose to take his money and enjoy the rest of his life relatively healthy. Smart man.
Reply/Quote
Not sure of the validity, but it would be nice to actually have a Good offensive lineman. It’s been a long time, 4-5 years, since we have had any OL where another team would have to even talk about them. Someone will
Probably talk up Hopkins as “good” but honestly.... our best OFfensive lineman over the last 5 years have just been around average... and we get excited about that, because how bad the others are.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2020, 08:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No mystery at all, Boling was having back issues. Ever have back issues? They are not pleasant. He chose to take his money and enjoy the rest of his life relatively healthy. Smart man.

He didn't have back issues. He had a blood clot in his leg that forced his retirement. 
Reply/Quote