Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Bengals possibly experiment 5th round Uzomah at H - Back (
http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/05/31/cincinnati-bengals-tight-end-c-j-uzomah-has-star-potential/

This is a Quote taken from Rant Sport - Link Above
"Fortunately for Uzomah, he is impressing Bengals coaches in a big way already. Hayes said he may even be a candidate for H-back in the Bengals’ system. He’s a big body with unique strength and versatility who can run. This is a player that Bengals fans should be very excited about. While he may not gain immediate stardom, his future with the Bengals looks very bright."

I really hate when the Bengals take players out of their natural position. Ryan Hewitt was a good H-Back/Full Back last year.

Can't we just let TE's be.

We need 3 solid TE's 2 of them blockers. Don't need to be messing with a rookie out of his natural position.

Then again the Bengals were high on that UDFA John Peters(I think it was). Maybe they trying to squeeze people on to the roster.

This is just dumb if they really do. I'm probably over reacting but history has shown the Bengals love to experiment this.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't see any way he would unseat Hewitt, but maybe they are just preparing for the potential of an injury to Hewitt since there isn't a lot of depth behind him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't see any way he would unseat Hewitt, but maybe they are just preparing for the potential of an injury to Hewitt since there isn't a lot of depth behind him.

understatement! Not a lot of depth behind him. I literally spit my Coffee reading that!

Good laugh!!! Cause who keeps 2 full backs. Totally not making fun of you. Just found your comment humorous! 
+5 rating!
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't see any way he would unseat Hewitt, but maybe they are just preparing for the potential of an injury to Hewitt since there isn't a lot of depth behind him.

Yeah, it's likely for depth. I see where the OP is coming from. I assumed they were taking him because they saw a lot of potential with that big frame to give them much needed TE depth. In the little that I've seen of him, he seems like a true TE not an H-back. Worst case scenario is both the young TE's aren't where they want them to be and/or Eifert gets nicked up. Then you'd need to play Hewitt at TE, so having Peko in there at FB a few times and Uzomah moved around in a few H-back sets gives them options.
Reply/Quote
Could possibly want to use Hewitt more as a 2nd TE while Kroft learns the system and then move him back and are just experimenting with Uzomah as the H-Back or maybe Eifert isn't as ready as once thought.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
By H-back I think they mean that they think he's smart enough to learn a little bit of everything-similar to how they used Rex Burkhead all over the place in the playoff game. It could be the annual camp hype or maybe the guy has a knack for learning the plays. We'll see.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:41 AM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/05/31/cincinnati-bengals-tight-end-c-j-uzomah-has-star-potential/

"Fortunately for Uzomah, he is impressing Bengals coaches in a big way already. Hayes said he may even be a candidate for H-back in the Bengals’ system. He’s a big body with unique strength and versatility who can run. This is a player that Bengals fans should be very excited about. While he may not gain immediate stardom, his future with the Bengals looks very bright."

I really hate when the Bengals take players out of their natural position. Ryan Hewitt was a good H-Back/Full Back last year.

We need 3 solid TE's 2 of them blockers. Don't need to be messing with a rookie out of his natural position.

Then again the Bengals were high on that UDFA John Peters(I think it was). Maybe they trying to squeeze people on to the roster.

This is just dumb if they really do. I'm probably over reacting but history has shown the Bengals love to experiment this.

No reason to complain.. Hewitt was a TE.... Gresham was a TE that played HB for us...

they want a guy their that can block and catch... And pure FBs arent worth a roster spot any more... due to the very limited playing time they will get.

Hewitt will most likely be the HB... But exploring other options to cover for a potential injury is never a bad thing.. and OTA's are the time to have these type of experiments.

and if this kid wins the job as starting HB then he must be better than Hewitt... So thats a win win for us not a lose type scenario.

And i still stick with my Peko doesnt make it prediction so.... A Big strong body for potential blocking near goal line is always worth looking at.
Reply/Quote
So Orson Charles all over again.....

Just let Uzomah be a friggin tight end, and let that be the end of it.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:38 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So Orson Charles all over again.....

If Eifert and Kroft are healthy.. He wouldnt see the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If Eifert and Kroft are healthy.. He wouldnt see the field.

Then what will we do with Hewitt who seems to be well liked among the coaches...
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 12:38 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: So Orson Charles all over again.....

Or like Ryan Hewitt all over again....but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

Anyways, Hewitt isn't so good he couldn't be knocked of the roster by a 5th round draft pick. 
He's got Ryan Freel syndrome. 
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:41 AM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/05/31/cincinnati-bengals-tight-end-c-j-uzomah-has-star-potential/

Uzomah is not a natural TE.  He played more in the slot and as an off the line H-back than anything else in college.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 10:48 AM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: understatement! Not a lot of depth behind him. I literally spit my Coffee reading that!

Good laugh!!! Cause who keeps 2 full backs. Totally not making fun of you. Just found your comment humorous! 
+5 rating!

Always good to be funny when you weren't trying to be.... :blush:

Seriously, though, they might have some depth on the PS like Wilder, but having Uzomah being trained to play more than one position means they must think he has the intelligence to handle it.  Maybe that is why they reached for him over my guy that Baltimore took three plays later.   That actually shows some signs of change in the coaching staff.  I can't remember too many rookies that were trusted with a role like Hewitt's in the past.  Perhaps they are giving some of the younger guys more of a chance to make an impact.  Recent successes of players like Burfict, Hewitt, and even James Wright shows progress in playing younger guys that can make an impact. 

I have high hopes for guys like Dennard, Will Clarke, and Burkhead this season as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably easier to make him that than to try and teach him to inline block.

Cause he didn't do a lot of that.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'm usually weary of them tinkering with positions and switching players around, but...

1. It's only OTA's. There's a lot of experimenting now that will mean nothing later.
2. H-back really isn't all that different from TE.
3. Uzomah is going to be the 3rd TE, so a little versatility wouldn't hurt him.

Now if they try to make him a full blown fullback, or switch his position for an entire year ala Orson Charles, then I'd be pissed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
yeah its the orson charles thing that is coming to mind and annoying me.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 01:07 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Then what will we do with Hewitt who seems to be well liked among the coaches...

Play H back.... its still OTA's so seeing what a guy can or cant handle is not an issue.

the TE in question played a lot of HB in college.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 02:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Play H back.... its still OTA's so seeing what a guy can or cant handle is not an issue.

the TE in question played a lot of HB in college.

This guy wasn't really a tight end in college, either.  Didn't even have a position coach.  Hes an athlete at this point.  Not sure why theres unrest on the subject.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 02:42 PM)TGISunday Wrote: This guy wasn't really a tight end in college, either.  Didn't even have a position coach.  Hes an athlete at this point.  Not sure why theres unrest on the subject.

Cause its June 1st....
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2015, 02:42 PM)TGISunday Wrote: This guy wasn't really a tight end in college, either.  Didn't even have a position coach.  Hes an athlete at this point.  Not sure why theres unrest on the subject.

Stop making sense. It's our yearly outrage over something that hasn't actually happens and with a fringe roster player time! 
Reply/Quote