Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would it take?
(03-09-2020, 04:07 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Why doesn't everyone just calm down and let the kid play more than a season before calling him phenomenal, good, great or a bust?
I can definitely see the reasoning why they took him out of Washington. Maybe a little earlier than they had him projected; but, they knew he wouldn't be there for them in the 3rd Rd. They really loved him thru the drafting process (he won the tough guy award by his teammates on a loaded Washington squad), and wanted to emphasize running the ball (supposedly, but that didn't happen). Lol
The coaches also thought that Washington underutilized him in the passing game. He doesn't seem to drop balls so we'll see.
They had him pegged as the best in line blocking TE, so they took him.
From all reports, he was making a lot of plays in training camp, and he did get in the rotation throughout the year before going down with some games to go.
I'm one to wait until Year 3 before making decisions on these players.

I was talking about Jessie Bates...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 04:38 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: Pretty sure he was referring to Jesse Bates in the last paragraph. But as far as Sample goes idc what coaches or the FO says Sample would’ve still be there in the 3rd

Maybe even the 4th. And if you missed out on him, big deal.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 04:38 AM)TSwigZ Wrote:  But as far as Sample goes idc what coaches or the FO says Sample would’ve still be there in the 3rd

You have no clue if he would have been there in the 3rd or not.  You are basing your opinion on the same "experts" who said Mack Wilson would be gone in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 01:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ofc I don’t think rookie Eli would win a Super Bowl here. Or anywhere. You don’t draft a QB for only 4-5 years though. You draft him hoping he’s your guy for the next decade +.

And to say all he did was just throw up a jump ball is selling him short. The Giants DL was nasty both times, but Eli was also clutch. Hence 2 Super Bowl MVP’s. The second SB against NE he completed 75% of his passes, and had a 103.7 rating even though he was sacked 3 times.

Even though your point of this post is to tout Eli, a QB; it's good to see you give any defense, any credit, ever. 

Kudos!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 05:17 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Even though your point of this post is to tout Eli, a QB; it's good to see you give any defense, any credit, ever. 

Kudos!

I give defense credit all the time. Burfict, Geno, Reggie Nelson, are some of my favorite players off all time. I loved Zimmer when he was here.

I also happen to think QB is the most important position in sports

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 03:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, phenomenal is a bit much. He’s good, not great.

He was a top 10 safety his rookie season according to PFF the guy is phenomenal when he is on. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:04 PM)J24 Wrote: He was a top 10 safety his rookie season according to PFF the guy is phenomenal when he is on. 

And when you combine last season that’s more likely indicative of who he really is. One really good year, one bad. He’s probably somewhere in between.

We saw the same thing with WJ3.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 06:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And when you combine last season that’s more likely indicative of who he really is. One really good year, one bad. He’s probably somewhere in between.

We saw the same thing with WJ3.

He had a bad first half of the season last year then turned it around in the second half. Same thing with WJ3 in the 18 season. To me both are cornerstone players and any team would want them on their roster.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 12:33 AM)J24 Wrote: He had a bad first half of the season last year then turned it around in the second half. Same thing with WJ3 in the 18 season. To me both are cornerstone players and any team would want them on their roster.

Sorry about the mix up on Sample and Bates.

My take on Bates is on a horrible defense, he was one of the only guys flying around making some plays, always seemed to be around the ball and had a few INTs.

I'll wait on any judgement for him after the Bengals first actually get some LBs who can and want to tackle somebody.

I wouldn't call him a phenomenal player though; but, he seems to be a solid NFL starting Safety.

As for you guys hammering on the Sample pick and where he was taken, I'd love to know all your "credible" NFL scouting sources telling you he was a 3rd/4th/5th round pick mostly? I'll take what the coaches said about their league sources over anyone on fan boards every time and twice on Tuesday.
Since when is it not worth it to take a Blocking TE high in a draft seeing how valuable they are for 2 SB teams this year?

If Sample starts blocking similarly to how Kittle does next year, and catches 30-40 balls for 3-400 yds and 5 TDs, and also plays FB for us and opens holes up for Mixon, would everyone change their tune on the pick? I think that's what this player is capable of. I'll wait to pass judgement on him until after Year 3 and not call him an over drafted bust quite yet. Many great players in the league had horrible rookie seasons.
Antonio Brown hardly played his rookie year! Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no clue if he would have been there in the 3rd or not.  You are basing your opinion on the same "experts" who said Mack Wilson would be gone in the 3rd.

If i was basing my opinion on them so called “experts” who are paid to be 99% wrong every year then i would’ve said Sample would’ve been there in the 5th. I’m actually basing my answer on absolutely nothing which might even be worse but at least it’s honest :)
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 01:27 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Sorry about the mix up on Sample and Bates.

My take on Bates is on a horrible defense, he was one of the only guys flying around making some plays, always seemed to be around the ball and had a few INTs.

I'll wait on any judgement for him after the Bengals first actually get some LBs who can and want to tackle somebody.

I wouldn't call him a phenomenal player though; but, he seems to be a solid NFL starting Safety.

As for you guys hammering on the Sample pick and where he was taken, I'd love to know all your "credible" NFL scouting sources telling you he was a 3rd/4th/5th round pick mostly? I'll take what the coaches said about their league sources over anyone on fan boards every time and twice on Tuesday.
Since when is it not worth it to take a Blocking TE high in a draft seeing how valuable they are for 2 SB teams this year?

If Sample starts blocking similarly to how Kittle does next year, and catches 30-40 balls for 3-400 yds and 5 TDs, and also plays FB for us and opens holes up for Mixon, would everyone change their tune on the pick? I think that's what this player is capable of. I'll wait to pass judgement on him until after Year 3 and not call him an over drafted bust quite yet. Many great players in the league had horrible rookie seasons.
Antonio Brown hardly played his rookie year! Lol

Also... Antonio Brown hardly played last season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: When most people were projecting Sample in Rd 5 or later, I will always have a hard time believing he wouldn't have been available in Rd 3 or that the Bengals couldn't have just taken a different TE who could be just as good (or better) if he wasn't available in Rd 3.

I've been wrong on draft picks before though.

If you just switch Pratt and Sample it makes more sense lol
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you just switch Pratt and Sample it makes more sense lol

It would have been less criticized, honestly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 08:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It would have been less criticized, honestly.

Yes it would, I actually had both Pratt and Sample in at least one of my mocks last year.

Just had Pratt in the 2nd as he was my top LB besides White and I had Sample in the 4th or 5th...

After watching Pratt and White play last year I honestly think we might have gotten the better LB.

The draft is just such a crap shoot, proves it every year.
Reply/Quote