Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
(02-12-2020, 05:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that a team like Tennessee would be a perfect landing spot for Andy to do well.

Lol Tennessee has found their starter in tannehill they aren’t gonna give up a third for a back up. And I want at least a third for dalton Chicago or New England or jacksonville is hopefully where he lands. For us to get what we should for dalton he should be traded to a team in need of a qb. That’s not tennesse was
Reply/Quote
I think Dalton will end up with the Bears or Colts. Maybe the Chargers. Bengals will want 3rd and 5th for him I would guess.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I could be wrong but I don't think whoever trades for Andy is going to take on that contract (1yr 17.5 mil). That deal has no guarantees and the alternative for Andy from being traded is getting released.

I'd look for the trading partner to have a new renogiated contract in place, upon the trade. I think Andy will pick up some guarantees, while sacrificing some salary.

Just spitballing, but maybe something like 2 years, 16 mil with incentives, and maybe like 6-8 mil guaranteed.

I could be wrong though. Just don't see him playing on that least year contract figure. It makes sense for both parties to strike up a new deal.
Reply/Quote
Don’t care where he goes, just get us the best return possible for him.

Reply/Quote
If they trade Andy, it's a win win for everybody. We'll get players or picks in return and his salary comes off the books and Andy gets a fresh start someplace else.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think there is evidence that Dalton is enough of an upgrade over Trubisky to justify bailing on a rookie contract and taking on a near 18 million dollar QB.  I can also see their front office desperately stinking behind Trubisky and hoping for a miracle. 

Daltons contract could lead to the rest of the NFL calling our bluff on not cutting him.

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like Dalton's contract will make it easier to trade him. $17.5-17.7m is a lot less than what a lot of the free agent QBs are going to get. That's not saying Dalton is on their level or comparing Dalton to them, but his contract is almost a steal compared to what others are going to get paid.

Mahomes and Watson are about to reset the QB market. Reports are already saying the Chiefs are/were talking about a 5 yr/$200m deal for Mahomes and that was before the Super Bowl. Watson is going to come in at $30m+ per year and Dak has already turned down $33m per year.

This is Brady's last chance for a big deal and rumors are saying he could land in the $30-36m per year range. The Patriots have already said they'll pay him $30m per year. Rumors in the Tennessee area are Tannehill is going to get somewhere in the $24-25m per year range (per sports radio in the Nashville area). Winston just made right at $21m and I doubt he takes a pay cut. Brees is $30m+ a year. Bridegewater was making $10m or so as a backup, so he'll get a raise. I'm sure Rivers gets $25m+ a year. If Mariota starts somewhere, I doubt he takes less than the $20.9m he just made. The list goes on and on.

A draft pick plus significant cap savings for Dalton sounds like a pretty good deal for a team.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:25 PM)lone Bengal Wrote:  It’s a strong free agent QB class with Brady, Bress, Rivers, Tannehill, Prescott , Winston and maybe a guy like Newton being available via trade.

I have been saying that this really hurts our chances of getting much in trade for Dalton.

Mariota could also be on the market.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 05:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Jags adding Dalton's nearly $18 million to the cap hit of over $30 million they'd take for cutting Foles makes this seem unlikely...they're in it up to their eyes with that Foles deal.  

I did not know about the numbers on Foles.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 07:15 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I could be wrong but I don't think whoever trades for Andy is going to take on that contract (1yr 17.5 mil).  That deal has no guarantees and the alternative for Andy from being traded is getting released.

I'd look for the trading partner to have a new renogiated contract in place, upon the trade. I think Andy will pick up some guarantees, while sacrificing some salary.

Just spitballing, but maybe something like 2 years, 16 mil with incentives, and maybe like 6-8 mil guaranteed.

I could be wrong though. Just don't see him playing on that least year contract figure. It makes sense for both parties to strike up a new deal.

If he goes somewhere as the starter I just don't see any way in hell Dalton would be willing to take an $8m per year contract when guys like Tannehill are going to be raking in mid $20m per year. Either the team trading for him takes a wait and see approach or they negotiate an extension that would give him a raise. There's just no reason to take a pay cut when so many other QBs are going to be cashing in.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think there is evidence that Dalton is enough of an upgrade over Trubisky to justify bailing on a rookie contract and taking on a near 18 million dollar QB.  I can also see their front office desperately stinking behind Trubisky and hoping for a miracle. 

Daltons contract could lead to the rest of the NFL calling our bluff on not cutting him.

Oh I don't think there's any team out there just chomping a the bit for Dalton. However I can see a team like the Bears wanting a planB if Trubisky falters again. The fan base may get the torches and pitch forks out if he starts out 1-4 or something with no other options.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:31 PM)pally Wrote: Teams won't buy before they can see what they can get without giving anything up

Not sure all teams operate that way. Some are aggressive, do their homework ahead of time and go get their guy before anyone else can.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:51 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Lol Tennessee has found their starter in tannehill they aren’t gonna give up a third for a back up.  And I want at least a third for dalton Chicago or New England or jacksonville is hopefully where he lands.  For us to get what we should for dalton he should be traded to a team in need of a qb.  That’s not tennesse was

Tannehill looked good.  But, will he strike a long term deal with the Titans?  With a full free agent QB market, having Andy for a year at his current salary might be attractive to some teams, even perhaps the Titans.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 08:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Tannehill looked good.  But, will he strike a long term deal with the Titans?  With a full free agent QB market, having Andy for a year at his current salary might be attractive to some teams, even perhaps the Titans.

Tannehill played well but is he better than Dalton? I don't think so...also I think Cam Newton would be a good fit in Tennessee.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 08:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Tannehill played well but is he better than Dalton? I don't think so...also I think Cam Newton would be a good fit in Tennessee.

I think Dalton behind that O-line and with that running game would be better than Tannehill myself.

That is, if they re-sign Henry.

Always thought Cam was overrated, always have.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With several starting QB jobs "on the bubble" a game of musical chairs QB's may occur this offseason. Will Brady be with Pats for season #102 ? Will Brees retire ? Where does Rivers end up, and what do Chargers do ? What will be Cam Newton's fate ? Do Redskins pull a Cardinals ? and many other questions ?

Dalton may end up somewhere totally off the radar depending on how this plays out. Having said that my guess would be Bears.

I could see a lot of teams trading for Dalton. I could also see all the seats being filled when the music stops.

All I know is this is fixing to be a very interesting couple of months.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 08:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Dalton behind that O-line and with that running game would be better than Tannehill myself. Rivers is a choice for them also if he doesnt retire...maybe Jameis Winston.

That is, if they re-sign Henry.

Always thought Cam was overrated, always have.

I just think Cam fits better in their offense than Dalton or even Tannehill. Rivers I think would be a good choice too if he doesnt retire...maybe Winston.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 08:40 PM)Synric Wrote: I just think Cam fits better in their offense than Dalton or even Tannehill. Rivers I think would be a good choice too if he doesnt retire...maybe Winston.

I could definitely see Rivers as a fit if he doesn't retire. Cam maybe, no way with the pick machine Winston IMO.
Reply/Quote
Plus Andy is on the final year of a deal and there is no remaining cap hit. So he can easily do a new deal with a new team that results in a radically lower cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The team should (and will) trade Dalton to whatever teams offers them the most in return.

Andy and Mike both signed a contract that they agreed on.  Neither one owes other other anything that is not in that contract.  Dalton should not expect the Bengals to pass up a deal that would be better for the team just to make him happy.  And the fans should complain loudly if they do.

Actually working together Bengals and Dalton can be more of an asset than working alone to trade Andy.. talking with Andy getting his feel etc can provide more information and a better communication with other teams.... the name is escaping me but how about a week or so ago when an NBA player was traded... and he went off about the trade.. no knowledge of the trade etc... I think a team would much prefer to know a player is going to be happy coming to their team and maybe more open to reworking a contract.

I agree the Bengals have to do what is best for them.. but communication can help and lets be honest from media and  other teams player perspective the Front Office does not get great raves for caring for their players... this might actually help them in that aspect.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 09:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Plus Andy is on the final year of a deal and there is no remaining cap hit. So he can easily do a new deal with a new team that results in a radically lower cap hit.

Well, maybe.  I remember reading in the proposed changes in the upcoming CBA negotiations, is an attempt to do away with much of the cap management "strategery" that has been going on for years.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote