Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Clowns expected to keep Pettine and Fire Farmer
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/report_cleveland_browns_expect.html

Quote:VELAND, Ohio -- The Browns expect to keep coach Mike Pettine and fire general manager Ray Farmer, a source within the organization told Jason Cole of bleacherreport.com.

The Browns slipped to 3-12 after their 17-13 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday, giving Pettine his 17th loss in the last 20 games.

But Cole reports that Farmer -- whose player acquisitions have been suspect and who was suspended for the first four games of this season for impermissible texting -- will take the fall for the abysmal record.

"Sources within the Browns' organization say they expect that coach Mike Pettine will survive this season despite the failure of the team,'' he said in a video on the site. "Those sources indicate that the bigger problem within the Browns' organization is not Pettine but is actually General Manager Ray Farmer and the selections that Farmer has made throughout his tenure, and even before that when he was under [former CEO] Joe Banner.''

Cole says that the sources have told him the Browns owner Jimmy Haslam believes that it's Farmer's poor drafting and free-agent pickups that are hurting the team. His 2014 first-round picks, cornerback Justin Gilbert and quarterback Johnny Manziel, haven't lived up to their draft status; and 2015 No. 19 overall pick Cam Erving has struggled as a rookie on the offensive line.

Farmer has also come under heavy fire for signing receiver Dwayne Bowe to a two-year deal worth $12.5 million in the offseason, including $9 million guaranteed. Bowe has been a healthy scratch seven times this season and has five catches for 53 yards.

"The problem here is more of a personnel issue, and that is what is going to have to be fixed by Haslam,'' Cole said.

A league source told cleveland.com that Haslam has not made up his mind yet and that he's taking his time and considering all four of his options: keeping Pettine and Farmer, firing both, or keeping one or the other.

Cole said Haslam's top three candidates to replace Farmer would be Bengals Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin; Vikings assistant general manager George Paton; and Chiefs Director of Football Operations Chris Ballard.

"Those three gentlemen are considered the top three candidates by the NFL for possible general manager positions around the league,'' stated Cole. "This is the course that Haslam may take as he tries to fix a continual problem with the Browns since he has taken over the ownership of that team."

Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports reports that he's heard a strong buzz that Packers Director of Player Personnel Eliot Wolf, the son of longtime Packers personnel executive Ron Wolf, would be a Browns GM candidate if Farmer is fired.

He reported "many believe Wolf's father, Ron, will end up consulting for Haslam on the Browns' forthcoming overhaul.''

Wolf has not yet been hired by the Browns and there are no immediate plans to do so, a source said.

LaCanfora also reported that Haslam likes Jacksonville assistant head coach/offensive line coach Doug Marrone, who interviewed for the Browns job but accepted the Buffalo head coach job instead before the 2013 season. The Browns hired Rob Chudzinski instead, and Marrone hired Pettine as his defensive coordinator in Buffalo that year.

He also reported that Haslam would've "moved heaven and earth'' to hire former Broncos and current Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase two years ago. Gase pulled himself out of the running even before interviewing to focus on the Broncos' Super Bowl run. They lost to the Seahawks that year.

Regardless of what Haslam decides, he's likely to announce it as soon as the day after the Browns' finale next week at home against the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
I can see why they may as well keep Pettine, but Farmer? Ehh, Ida know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, if you're gonna clear out idiots, why not clear out all the idiots?

WTS, as a Browns hater and Bengal fan, I applaud the move because Pettine is just plain terrible.

The real move they need to make is for the owner to fire himself.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hopefully Duke is happy here and doesn't want to be a GM. I imagine he appreciates the steady approach of Mike here and knows there will not be any shake up if they have a bad year.

As for the Browns:

Pettine isn't the greatest head coach. But it's fair to let a new GM decide his fate or do like Carolina did and force the GM to give him 1 year to evaluate him.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 04:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can see why they may as well keep Pettine, but Farmer?  Ehh, Ida know.

Browns are talent deficient and that's on him. Pettine didn't sign bowe and Andrew Hawkins.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to imagine that Pettine even wants to stay there. The guy looks like he's flat out given up on the sidelines. Also, it's very seldom where a new GM comes in with an established coach and the relationship works out in the long run. Most GMs want to come in and bring in their people. Pettine will have to sell himself to the new guy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 04:35 PM)McC Wrote: Well, if you're gonna clear out idiots, why not clear out all the idiots?

WTS, as a Browns hater and Bengal fan, I applaud the move because Pettine is just plain terrible.

The real move they need to make is for the owner to fire himself.

To try to make a decision with a head coach after two seasons of bad drafts, your best player not all the field due to suspension  with already a bad team when you took the team over is unrealistic.. The great Bill B would maybe have won 4 to 5 more games ( 5  if he did not kick on a coin field in OT..lol ) than Pettine did over the last 2 years
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree with what your saying. I mean how are you supposed to evaluate someone when the team is a total train wreck. And one thing is for certain in the NFL there is no qiuck fixes. We have been there , sucks to be them. The solid pieces that they do have aren't getting any younger either. Their situation sucks.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 07:33 PM)tigerseye Wrote: I agree with what your saying. I mean how are you supposed to evaluate someone when the team is a total train wreck. And one thing is for certain in the NFL there is no qiuck fixes. We have been there , sucks to be them. The solid pieces that they do have aren't getting any younger either. Their situation sucks.

Nobody will re-up with them either. As soon as a good player becomes a FA, he is on the first thing smoking out of there.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2015, 07:33 PM)tigerseye Wrote: I agree with what your saying. I mean how are you supposed to evaluate someone when the team is a total train wreck. And one thing is for certain in the NFL there is no qiuck fixes. We have been there , sucks to be them. The solid pieces that they do have aren't getting any younger either. Their situation sucks.

their best piece has been suspended most of his career.
Reply/Quote
I know this is a Bengals board, and most probably don't care, but I'm curious what do you guys think the Browns should do going forward?

I think they should focus on long-term decision consistency. Too many times we see people hired, fired, drafted, and released too quickly in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:02 PM)Emphasis Wrote: I know this is a Bengals board, and most probably don't care, but I'm curious what do you guys think the Browns should do going forward?

I think they should focus on long-term decision consistency. Too many times we see people hired, fired, drafted, and released too quickly in my opinion.

For the Browns... Right now its not a simple answer the Coach doesnt seem the like the QB and the GM does so some turnover is gonna happen either coach gm or QB one is gonna go.

Long term they need to bring in a GM that is actually good.
Get a Coach and commit at least 4-6 years with that coach. They are gonna have to build a roster that fits their scheme.

And as far as drafting goes. We constantly complained about how small our scouting department was... im not sure how big clevelands is but Higher quality scouts as a lot of their draft picks have been bust. Even for the coaches that drafted them.

Dont draft a QB this year..... Build the rest of the team... And play manziel or some Free Agent QB for the next year or 2 while you build the team up around him (not for him but around him) in other words draft the best talent you can at any position. Then in 2 years go and get you your long term QB and he should be able to step in and have a little success right off the back.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 05:02 PM)Emphasis Wrote: I know this is a Bengals board, and most probably don't care, but I'm curious what do you guys think the Browns should do going forward?

I think they should continue to suck going forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2016, 11:23 AM)Vlad Wrote: I think they should continue to suck going forward.

I'm with ya. Living in Columbus I get to see more Bengals games that way.
Reply/Quote