Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Marvin faced a near mutiny
After two home games only four days apart and zero touchdowns and nine total points scored, Lewis was facing a “near mutiny,” a league source tells PFT. The normally quiet A.J. Green publicly sounded off, and plenty of other players had plenty of pointed things to say privately, we’re told.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/15/16317810/marvin-lewis-near-mutiny-bengals-loss-texans
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I say let's lose "near" and get it on. Marvin has lost what, his third group of guys? Yeah, a newly promoted from within coordinator is gonna fix that.

Question--if you're the Bengals OC, is PA your boss?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 08:52 PM)McC Wrote: I say let's lose "near" and get it on.  Marvin has lost what, his third group of guys?   Yeah, a newly promoted from within coordinator is gonna fix that.

Would love to see Mike keep rolling and clean house ! Like you say changing OC's isn't near enough or gonna drastically change this seasons ending.

But Mike Brown isn't going to fire Marvin, no way no how.

To answer your question I'm not so sure PA isn't in reality ole Marvs boss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 08:52 PM)McC Wrote: I say let's lose "near" and get it on. Marvin has lost what, his third group of guys? Yeah, a newly promoted from within coordinator is gonna fix that.

In fairness though, what were they gonna do? Hire a guy outside in the middle of the season? You can't do that. This is what we all wanted, and about the only solution. I guess they could have bumped Urban up instead. At any rate... Zampese is gone. Hallelujah.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think I would have preferred Urban or Simmons, but considering they needed someone they could plug in as OC right away it makes sense to go with the guy that has actual experience at the position.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 09:05 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I think I would have preferred Urban or Simmons, but considering they needed someone they could plug in as OC right away it makes sense to go with the guy that has actual experience at the position.

What makes you think that Simmons would be qualified for OC?  He's damn good with the Special Teams, but Offense?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 08:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Would love to see Mike keep rolling and clean house ! Like you say changing OC's isn't near enough or gonna drastically change this seasons ending.

But Mike Brown isn't going to fire Marvin, no way no how.

To answer your question I'm not so sure PA isn't in reality ole Marvs boss.

He will, it's just impossible to do it now.  It needs to happen the minute the clock expires on week 17.  I don't want any excuses to keep him or anyone on this staff.  The only way things get cleaned out is with a 6-10 or worse season.
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin is screwed if this report is accurate. The two teams the have beaten them are fairly average and possibly below. More beatdowns loom, one likely next Sunday at Lambeau.

If a player mutiny brings about Marvin's demise as HC of this team, then so be it. Doesn't seem like anything else has gotten the job done.
Reply/Quote
Terrific news!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 08:52 PM)McC Wrote: I say let's lose "near" and get it on. Marvin has lost what, his third group of guys? Yeah, a newly promoted from within coordinator is gonna fix that.

I think PA holds the title of Asst. Head Coach, which I guess puts him above the coordinators ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 09:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What makes you think that Simmons would be qualified for OC?  He's damn good with the Special Teams, but Offense?

Simmons has consistently coached some fine special teams play. There's nothing I could point to that would assure me that he'd be as successful as an interim OC. I also have no reason to believe he couldn't handle it. He's probably my favorite coach on staff. I'm sure he's held in high regard amongst he players. Sometimes that's all it takes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 09:00 PM)jason Wrote: In fairness though, what were they gonna do? Hire a guy outside in the middle of the season? You can't do that. This is what we all wanted, and about the only solution. I guess they could have bumped Urban up instead. At any rate... Zampese is gone. Hallelujah.

I agree. It's the absolute only option they had. If Zimmer or Jackson were still here then maybe they could have "retired" Marvin and had one of them step up, but I don't think we have a future HC in the building. Lazor was doing a pretty decent job as OC in Miami before getting caught up in the Joe Philbin shit storm and getting fired by a total dud of an interim coach, Dan Campbell. Lazor is at least NFL OC material. He had a 14th ranked Dolphins offense in '14 and with much lesser personnel than what we have in Cincy. It definitely can't get any worse. Zampese was skating by as a QB's coach for way too long. He should have been replaced years ago, much less promoted to OC. Lazor was pretty creative under Chip Kelley and that's exactly what this offense needs with what is a very athletic but not very powerful offensive line. 

With our Defense and what should be an improved offense, there's a slight chance they could get back into the playoff race. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 09:59 PM)jason Wrote: Simmons has consistently coached some fine special teams play. There's nothing I could point to that would assure me that he'd be as successful as an interim OC. I also have no reason to believe he couldn't handle it. He's probably my favorite coach on staff. I'm sure he's held in high regard amongst he players. Sometimes that's all it takes.

He is very good at his job.  I could see him translating into a good HC, as blocking and tackling, i.e. the fundamentals of football, are the heart and soul of Special Teams.  Now, the intricacies of designing a specific game plan to attack a specific defense, might not be outside of his capabilities.  However, to take over on day's notice seems to be a bit of a reach.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've been actively rooting for ML to be fired for over a decade. It just doesn't happen so I became numb.
Reply/Quote
Huh... And I thought I was exaggerating when I said the players should pull a Varsity Blues in another thread
Reply/Quote
Good to hear there was finger pointing and words said at the offense. Tells me there are players more interested in winning than just getting a paycheck.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
This sucks big time guys.

8 pre-snap shifts, nobody block, everybody run sideways, Dalton throw it out of bounds, was the single best play ever drawn up. With the offensive master mind zampeezzee gone we are doomed
Reply/Quote
Marvin loves to talk about and blame execution. I'm not doubting the importance of execution, but if you're trying to execute shitty plays ... I don't remember seeing worse play calling since Bratkowski was here with the RUN-RUN-PASS-PUNT offense.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 10:44 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: This sucks big time guys.

8 pre-snap shifts, nobody block, everybody run sideways, Dalton throw it out of bounds, was the single best play ever drawn up. With the offensive master mind zampeezzee gone we are doomed

Yeah, that's almost as good as the patented Bob Bratkowski 3rd and 14 Shovel Pass.  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that's almost as good as the patented Bob Bratkowski 3rd and 14 Shovel Pass.  Ninja

And the almost as famous shuffle pass.  Wink
Reply/Quote