Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report - Zac Taylor has already been in contact with the Burrow family.
(01-12-2020, 04:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: They also played in different eras of the game so of course the numbers are going to be different. 

It isn't a numbers thing that makes the comparison it is one year of college production translating to a 1st round pick by a franchise that can NOT afford to miss again.

What does your first sentence even mean?
Reply/Quote
Quote:1. QB JOE BURROW, LSU
This one is an easy decision. Joe Burrow took the world by storm throughout the 2019 college season and locked himself in as the number one overall pick in this draft after leading LSU to victory over Alabama back in Week 11. Burrow’s 94.6 overall grade not only leads all FBS quarterbacks this season but is tied for the highest we have seen in the PFF College era (since 2014) with Baker Mayfield in 2017 and Kyler Murray in 2018. There really hasn’t been a major flaw in Burrow’s game on the field this season. Some may say one exists in that he went from unknown in 2018 to the best in 2019, but this shouldn’t be a concern considering the elite level of play we have seen.

Burrow has put on a clinic when it comes to tight-window passing. His 87.3 passing grade to tight windows is far above anyone else (second is at 76.4), and his uncatchable pass rate sits 17 percentage points below the FBS average. Some of Burrow's non-believers have talked about his receivers bailing him out or the system being catered to him — and while both have been great, Burrow is the one throwing the ball, and the tight-window accuracy reflects why he is above everyone else.

Even pressure has hardly fazed him when passing the ball — his PFF grade under duress leads all FBS quarterbacks. Whether he steps up in the pocket and makes a play with defenders all around him or bails and creates outside of the pocket, the accuracy and undeniably great play remain. When under pressure, Burrow has attempted 24 throws of 20-plus yards and completed 17, with just 10% of those being uncatchable and eight of the completions going for a touchdown. For perspective on how good that uncatchable pass rate is, fellow first-round prospect Jordan Love sits at 70% on those same throws. No one can create something out of nothing better than Joe Burrow.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-prospects-to-watch-national-championship-game
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 04:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: They also played in different eras of the game so of course the numbers are going to be different. 

It isn't a numbers thing that makes the comparison it is one year of college production translating to a 1st round pick by a franchise that can NOT afford to miss again.

It's not even about era's and numbers though. If you go back and watch Akili's '98 season at Oregon...after watching Burrow this year, there is still no comparison in terms of talent, accuracy, reading defense, improvising off-script, etc, etc. 

If you can watch both guys play in their final college season and still come away thinking one is equal to the other, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Also, for those that are dead set on using the 'only one year of big time production' argument as a reason to not draft Burrow...it's interesting that they seem to always use Akili as the example and ignore that another Bengals 1st round QB who had as many INT's as TD's until exploding in his final season, and he had the Bengals in the playoffs in his 2nd season as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 06:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's not even about era's and numbers though. If you go back and watch Akili's '98 season at Oregon...after watching Burrow this year, there is still no comparison in terms of talent, accuracy, reading defense, improvising off-script, etc, etc. 

If you can watch both guys play in their final college season and still come away thinking one is equal to the other, then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Also, for those that are dead set on using the 'only one year of big time production' argument as a reason to not draft Burrow...it's interesting that they seem to always use Akili as the example and ignore that another Bengals 1st round QB who had as many INT's as TD's until exploding in his final season, and he had the Bengals in the playoffs in his 2nd season as a starter.

Yeah there is no comparison between those two for many reasons. First off Burrows stats in his two season dwarf Akili's 2 seasons by a long shot. But the biggest thing is Akili was lazy and lacked the aptitude. He did horrible on his wonderlic and had to be tudored to raise his score. He didnt study the playbook, he didnt watch film, he missed all of training camp, was not even close to a leader and just overall had a very poor football demeanor. Joe Burrow is the exact opposite of all of those things. Its just not close at all.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 12:14 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So when we do the inevitable and draft Burrow and finish dead last again we blame the player and not Zac Taylor??

Tua was in the system for multiple years and there has been no major change to philosophy like in LSU. 

And really.. 8 points matters to you?? So a QB that competes 58% is much better then 50 at any level? It is still a losing season. If he completes 58% of his passes in Cincy next year we get to pick.top 5.again.

I'd understand your concern more if there wasn't an obvious progression with Burrow in 2018. He started out looking like a guy who rode pine for 3 years, completing only 46.2% of his passes in his first 3 starts. Over his last 4 games, he posted a completion rate of 66.9% and a NCAA passer rating of 173.0 with 10 TDs, hinting at what was in store for 2019.

(01-12-2020, 01:44 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I can't stop reading his name as Eric The Enemy after reading a YouTube comment who thought that's what the announcer was saying.

"Sleeping with Bienemy" was what everyone called him in the 90's, thanks to Chris Berman of ESPN.

He was actually a pretty good player for us in the 90's, for anyone old enough to remember.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

We also can't afford to pass on THE top QB prospect when we have a need at QB. Literally any team in our position takes Joe Burrow, and it's not even a thought. To do otherwise would be ludicrous. IMO, you're overthinking this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 08:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We also can't afford to pass on THE top QB prospect when we have a need at QB. Literally any team in our position takes Joe Burrow, and it's not even a thought. To do otherwise would be ludicrous. IMO, you're overthinking this.
Honestly most people are. We should only trade back if a team wants to give is there entire draft and maybe an easy eff ly pick next year as well. Otherwise we need the best qb prospect in the draft and Burrow is that guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd understand your concern more if there wasn't an obvious progression with Burrow in 2018. He started out looking like a guy who rode pine for 3 years, completing only 46.2% of his passes in his first 3 starts. Over his last 4 games, he posted a completion rate of 66.9% and a NCAA passer rating of 173.0 with 10 TDs, hinting at what was in store for 2019.

"Sleeping with Bienemy" was what everyone called him in the 90's, thanks to Chris Berman of ESPN.

He was actually a pretty good player for us in the 90's, for anyone old enough to remember.

I was watching the Bungles in the 90s but don't remember his name. I wonder if this means, given enough time, I wlil forget the names Andy Dalton and marvin Lewis. Then again they probably weren't as good as Eric The Enemy.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 02:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I like Urban Meyer (except for the lying) and I’m an Ohio State fan, but I’m not a fan of his system QBs that have shown little success in the NFL. He’s not a great judge of QBs in my opinion.

Yeah... His greatest success at the next level has been Alex Smith. I suppose the jury's still out on Haskins, but early on he looked like he didn't belong in the league, and didn't overly wanna be out there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 10:59 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I was watching the Bungles in the 90s but don't remember his name. I wonder if this means, given enough time, I wlil forget the names Andy Dalton and marvin Lewis. Then again they probably weren't as good as Eric The Enemy.

He was a 3rd down back and return guy for us. Kinda Gio-like.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 10:59 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I was watching the Bungles in the 90s but don't remember his name. I wonder if this means, given enough time, I wlil forget the names Andy Dalton and marvin Lewis. Then again they probably weren't as good as Eric The Enemy.

Since Dalton has passed Anderson , no......
Reply/Quote
Wake me when there's a #1 overall pick that has consensus from 100% of the fan base.

Burrow is the pick and Burrow is the correct pick.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Report: Zac Taylor has been in contact with the Burrow family to tell them to get some really good life insurance for Joe as he'll be playing behind a Williams/Price/Hopkins/Johnson/Hart OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 10:47 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Report: Zac Taylor has been in contact with the Burrow family to tell them to get some really good life insurance for Joe as he'll be playing behind a Williams/Price/Hopkins/Johnson/Hart OL.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 10:53 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Hilarious

That wasn't funny at all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 10:25 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Wake me when there's a #1 overall pick that has consensus from 100% of the fan base.

Burrow is the pick and Burrow is the correct pick.

I guarantee even if Lawrence was coming out this year there’d be a contingent of posters that would rather trade the pick and “fix the OL” or still prefer Young because he’s going to be a “generational talent”, etc.

You can’t get a large group of people to agree on anything.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2020, 06:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's not even about era's and numbers though. If you go back and watch Akili's '98 season at Oregon...after watching Burrow this year, there is still no comparison in terms of talent, accuracy, reading defense, improvising off-script, etc, etc. 

Akili Smith could barely read a book, let alone defenses....
Reply/Quote
I'm 100% in on the Burrow pick, and will be sorely disappointed if they do anything else.
Reply/Quote

Lets see, one was a good back that did nothing special and the other is the Bengals' all time leader in just about every QB statistic....
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2020, 11:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm 100% in on the Burrow pick, and will be sorely disappointed if they do anything else.

I wasn't at first, but I've come around in the last month.
Reply/Quote